9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 7:55 PM by terminator04

Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?

terminator04

Anyone have any news on Animate CC? Do you know when it is coming out? Adobe hasn't said much since the Dec 1st announcement.

Does anyone know if you will be able to use ActionScript on it? But I guess if you do then you cant save it as an HTML5 can you?

I was interested in making games and stuff that I used to in Flash, but now as HTML5 do Mobile users can play them. I wonder if Animate CC will be able to do this, but it also needs to have audio capabilities like Flash does, especially being able to loop and stop audio.

• 1. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
          gperry91 Level 1

Animate CC will do everything Flash CC does now, and more! In fact, Animate CC is just a rebranding of the current Flash CC. It will function exactly the same! Open up Flash CC right now, and there you go! You're using Animate CC.

• 2. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
            terminator04 Level 1

But ActionScript wont work when converted to HTML5 with Flash CC. How are you coding games to work on Mobile Devices?

• 3. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
              gperry91 Level 1

ActionScript 3 works just fine on mobile devices... do you know about Adobe AIR? I have published several apps/games to iOS and Android directly from Flash CC. Do you specifically need HTML5? You can't expect Flash to convert everything perfectly for you, ActionScript and JavaScript aren't the same. If you want to change the language, use the HTML5 Canvas target and program the app in JavaScript.

• 4. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
                terminator04 Level 1

I wasn't referring to Apps, I meant Mobile Browsers. If someone from a mobile phone views a website can they play the game without having to install anything? Can they play the game on their phone just like a Desktop user can?

You are saying the game needs to be coded in JavaScript? What would the purpose of using Adobe Animate be if I have to code the JavaScript myself? Why not just code myself on Notepad? What benefit will Animate CC have for making HTML5 games?

• 5. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
                  Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can code in Flash Pro using Javascript. You would want to do that so that you don't have to recreate all the things that Flash can give you. If you were using Notepad to make a game, how would you do timeline animations? By working in Flash you can use shapes, buttons, movieclips, graphics, etc, to do most of what people see without using any code at all. Then, for the part you code you would work in Javascript instead of ActionScript.

• 6. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
                    terminator04 Level 1

Thanks for the info. For what I am wanting to do it will also include playing and stopping audio, and sometimes looping audio. This is easy to do in Flash w/ ActionScript, but I am learning how to do the audio in HTML5 with JavaScript. So with Animate CC, I will have to actually input the same JavaScript and HTML5 audio codes that I would normally put on a web page and .js file?

Also I use this program that site locks the swf, meaning no one can take my games and upload to their site. I guess you really cant to that with HTML5 can you? I mean, they can "save page as" and take the whole game and files cant they?

• 7. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?

Any sounds in the timeline will be played as Event sounds, so you can't do Stream sound animation sync.

For playing sound with code, you have soundjs, which is somewhat easier to use than doing HTML5 audio elements, though no doubt behind the scenes SoundJS is doing that for you.

CreateJS | A suite of JavaScript libraries and tools designed for working with HTML5

Fairly sure I could steal your SWFs, as well as your HTML5! You could conceal some cryptic code that appears to be getting data, but really it's checking the site that it's located on. You could put in a timer, and have an ad appear that prompts the user to play the full game on your site.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?

Another thought, could you detect that the game is on the wrong site and immediately take the user to the same game on the right site?

• 9. Re: Will Animate CC do the same stuff as Flash?
                          terminator04 Level 1

Only really good programmers can hack the SWF lock, so you probably could. But it did a great job keeping out the people that just steal swf's to host on their site, those people usually have zero programming skills so they would just move on to another game.

Thank you so much for soundjs, I have never heard of that before. I was about to look into jquery but soundjs has exactly what I want, particularly the 02_PlayOnClick.html one. Except I want it to where it stops the sounds when you play a new sound, and also have a stop sounds button as well. I am going to have to see if I can figure out what to change on their code to do both of those.