11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 10:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Trouble with Adobe Elements 12

riogrande Level 1

I am trying to make a dvd with some Jpeg pictures in adobe premiere  elements 12, but when I drag my pictures to the timeline my pictures look awful and unsharp. I have never had this problem with any other of my pictures. Any idea what could be wrong?

• 1. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

riorande

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 12? And, have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

Now to your immediate problem....

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are importing into Premiere Elements project? And, how many photos? Are any video clips going into this production? If so, what are their properties.

After you have you terrible looking photos on the Expert workspace Timeline, please go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

Please confirm whether this DVD is going to be DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Any questions on the questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
            riogrande Level 1

Romeo thank you for taking your time to help me. I am using windows Toshiba laptop my picture pixel dimensions are  4560 x 5150. Editing Mode: HD 1080i Timebase: 29.97 f/s Video frame size: 1920 horizontal 1080 vertical Pixel Aspect ratio: 1.0. I already updated my premiere elements 12 but it didn't fix the problem. here I send you some of my pictures so you can tell me what could it be wrong. they get worst when I render them on the timeline, but the strange thing is that when I'm going to add the pan and zoom tool the pictures look clear.

• 4. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

riogrande

Thanks for the important troubleshooting information.

1. Are your photos

a. Width 5150 and Height 4560 (landscape oriented)

or

b. Width 4560 and Height 5150 (portrait oriented)

The project settings are either 4:3 or 16:9 and neither of the above is either one 4:3 or 16:9. And, these photos are very oversized for the project settings. The results in the Pan and Zoom workspace are misleading.

2. Please do the following on a mini test run to prove the point and give you a workflow guide. For now, I am assuming that your photos have width 5150 and Height 4560 (landscape oriented)

a. If you have Photoshop Elements 12 Editor, then use its Crop Tool to crop and resize the photos and save 1920 x 1080 16:9 jpeg photo.

b. Open Premiere Elements 12/12.1, and manually set the project preset to

NTSC (assuming that you are working in NTSC setup)

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

You do the manual project setting with the following steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the DSLR setting mentioned above. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your 1920 x 1080 16:9 photos using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the photos to the Timeline
              • Render the Timeline content and observe the playback quality in the monitor in the edit area of the program.

Please go over the above details. If any questions about them (before you start), please do not hesitate to ask.

As your time permits, please give more details and your results with the ideas.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                riogrande Level 1

unfortunately It didn't work I did follow all the steps but it didn't work. my with is 4560 and Height 5150 

• 6. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

riogrande

Thanks for the update.

Could you explain how the suggested workflow did not work....

a. with regard to sharpness and clarity of the images displaying on the Edit monitor?

b. with regard to black borders?

c. other?

My suggestions were essentially for landscape oriented photos. I am wondering if a suggested workflow for your portrait oriented photos would help.

I have more suggestions which I will post after I get a better idea what happened in the initial suggested workflow.

Thanks again for exploring the suggestions. Appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                    riogrande Level 1

(A) with regard to sharpness and clarity of the images display on the Edit monitor. For some reason my subjects eyes look unclear, they look really dark.

• 8. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                      riogrande Level 1

ok so the weird thing is that when I render My pictures look worst all pixilated

• 9. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

riogrande

Thank for the replies. Let us go through the check list to determine if we can pin point the cause of the problem.

1. If you go to Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General, is there a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size"? If not, please put the check mark next to that preference.

2. Did you go through the complete workflow suggested including crop resizing your 4560 x 5150 to 1080 x 1920?

Did you set the project preset manually to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97. If you did, then when you imported the photo into Premiere Elements Expert workspace, you should have seen the image with black borders to the right and left of the image. The image should look the same or better after Timeline rendering (pressing the Enter key to change the line over the photo from orange to green.

workspace a.JPG

If everything is as described above, then please do the following at the above stage

a. Right click the monitor, select Playback quality, then Highest instead of Automatic

b. Go To Edit Menu/Preferences/General and make sure that Timeline Rendering Quality is set for High quality, Slow speed.

Depending on the results, could you post a screenshot of your Expert workspace showing the pixelated image in the monitor.

Thank you for exploring the suggestions.

ATR

• 10. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                          riogrande Level 1

I tried everything you suggested me but nothing worked. how do you suggest me to burn my dvd?  MAYBE IM DOING IT WRONG

• 11. Re: Trouble with Adobe Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

riogrande

Thank you for exploring those troubleshooting suggestions. They should have worked, but appear not.

Right now you are judging your work by the previewing of the Timeline content in the monitor. We have suggested what can be done to optimize the condition at the Timeline level. But, also, have you checked your video card/graphics card to determine if the driver version is up to date according to the manufacturer of the card. Also, go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/ to find the name of your card and confirm that your computer is using 1 rather than 2 video card/graphic cards.

Since everything, down to the project preset, is optimized for sharpest viewing, let us go on to burn to DVD disc and determine what that looks like at playback in your DVD player - do you have a regular DVD player or a Blu-ray player that also plays DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Do all this as a mini test run - bypass the movie menu for this - since all we want to know is what the quality of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is at playback of the disc. For the burn to, use

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

The main concept of the presentation is 16:9 photos, 16:9 project preset, and 16:9 burn to disc settings.

If the DVD-VIDEO  on DVD disc turns out in excellent quality, then that points to a previewing issue and not any overall project issue.

Until now I have taken it for granted that you are set up for NTSC instead of PAL. Please confirm that.

Thank you.

ATR