12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 11:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline

Jaronpv

Hey!

New to Adobe Elements.  I am using a new Windows 10 PC, 16G RAM +NVIDIA 960 card with 4G DDR5, Intel I7 quad core processor.  When I add about the fourth clip (total video length of 3 minutes) it will begin to freeze when playing back what is clipped together so far.   The app will freeze the video preview, but the play time counter will continue to progress as if the video is playing.  I have tried to render the video, but it also freezes during this process.

I believe my computer is more than enough to handle this video.   It is only a short clip so far and should not be an issue!  Please help me figure this out.  It is very frustrating!

• 1. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jaronpv

What version of Premiere Elements on Windows 10 64 bit?

What are the properties of the video involved in your problem?

What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset?

See Edit Menu/Property Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
            Jaronpv Level 1

It is 64 Bit elements 14 for windows 10.

The video is filmed on an aerial drone, 4K res, 24 fps.

Automatic preset for my resolution, I have not done any manual changes to the preset.

Editing mode: red camera

Time base: 23.976

Frame size: 3840 X 2160

Pixel aspect ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

• 3. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
              Jaronpv Level 1

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated! Adobe support continues to direct me to the forum, so please. Someone help!

• 4. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jaronpv

Though your project settings point to your video being 4K 3840 x 2160 @ 23.976 progressive frames per second, do you know that to be the actual description for your video file from the aerial drone? What specific aerial drone recording device are you using? When you drag the file to the Timeline for the first time, is there an orange line above the Timeline content or no colored line?

You say that the fourth clip to the Timeline freezes the project. Assuming clips 1, 2, 3, and 4 in the plan, what happens if you add those clips to the Timeline in a different order, perhaps 2, 4, 3 and 1. If you do that does 1 become the clip that appears to trigger the freeze?

Have you applied any effects to each of clips 1, 2, and 3 just before you add clip 4 to the existing Timeline content?

You say that the total Timeline duration with all 4 clips on the Timeline is 3 minutes. What is the duration of each of the individual clips?

Have you gone through the usual drill...

1. Do you have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on Windows 10 64 bit. Please confirm that you have Windows 10 64 bit and not 32 bit.

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

2. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

3. If you start a new project, is the problem still there in the new project?

4. Do all the recordings from this aerial drone behave this way in the Premiere Elements project?

Please consider, and then supply details and results. If any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                  Jaronpv Level 1

I do know that the video from the drone is 4K video.  It is the camera that comes on the DJI Phantom 3 Professional Aerial Drone.

when I add the file to the timeline, I don't ever recall there being an orange line above the timeline.  Should there be?  What does this orange line indicate?

It does not matter what order the clips are added in or what clips are used.  I have attempted to piece together many different clips, but it is always about the fourth clip added, or about 3 minutes of video time, when I start to have the freezing issue.  It does not trigger with any specific clip.

The only effect added was fade in and out of the clips as they transistion.

Each individual clip is between 30 seconds and a minute long.

I do not know about Quicktime.  I was never told that I needed it when I installed Premiere Elements.  I will go check on that right now.

All my drivers are up to date.  I have double checked that.

The problem happens with every new project I start.

Thank you for your help!

• 6. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                    Jaronpv Level 1

I love Adobe, but this is extremely frustrating.  I'm considering requesting a refund and going to a competitors program.

• 7. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jaronpv

Thanks for the follow ups.

If you purchased Premiere Elements 14 from Adobe as a download within the last 14 days, you can ask for a return/refund.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/return-cancel-or-change-order.html

If you purchased elsewhere, you are governed by the return/refund policy of the seller and need to contact the seller.

Your answer may be in what you wrote

I do not know about Quicktime.  I was never told that I needed it when I installed Premiere Elements.  I will go check on that right now.

Do you have QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on your computer as asked previously? QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

QuickTIme 7 install is a must do for your computer that has Premiere Elements (not just version 14/14.1).

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

But, if QuickTime is not the key, then.......

But, let us go through the details to date in order to try to determine what is causing your problem.

1. If you have 4K 3840 x 2160 video from the aerial drone Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO | DJI that you mention, when you drag the first clip to the Timeline as the first clip to that Timeline, the project should be setting the project preset automatically to

NTSC

AVCHD

QFHD 16 x 9 23.976

and, when you go into the workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you should see the following - do you?

4ktroubleshooting.JPG

If you do, when you look at the Timeline (specifically above it), you should not see any orange line. There should be no colored line (not until after you start editing that content). This is the orange line to which I refer

Render.JPG

This screenshot was done with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 but applies to 11 through 14 to demonstrate the principle.

Once we know that we have the correct project settings, then focus Timeline content structure and computer resources.

Computer resources seems unlikely since you have a 3 minutes Timeline content and you write

I am using a new Windows 10 PC, 16G RAM +NVIDIA 960 card with 4G DDR5, Intel I7 quad core processor.

Premiere Elements should be able to support a video format assumed to be AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).mp4. Is there any possibility that you are recording and obtaining a .mov instead of .mp4 file?

Do you have access to any 4K 3840 x 2160 video footage from another brand camera? If you do, does that behave the same as the recordings from the aerial drone that you have been using? If you record 1920 x 1080p24 instead of 3840 x 2160p24 from this aerial drone, do you have the same problems?

Would it be possible for you to send a sample of one of these clips via a Google Drive or Dropbox shareable link posted in your thread?

If possible, I would appreciate the opportunity to try to work with that in Premiere Elements 14/14.1 or versions 12/12.1 and 13/13.1?

The above includes critical points in the troubleshooting. So, if you have questions or need clarification on anything that I have just written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Please consider.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                        Jaronpv Level 1

Thanks for your response! Like I said, I love the functionality of Adobe products.  So I hope we can figure this out.  I want to use Adobe.

I checked on the Quicktime app.  I did not have it.  I downloaded and installed it.  I then tried again to piece together a video.  It still would freeze at around the 3 minute or 4 clips mark.  So that does not appear to be the issue.

I added a clip and checked my project settings.  They are correctly going to the settings that are shown in your screen shot.

With a new clip, when I look at the timeline, there is no orange line.  No colored line at all.

My drone can film .mov files, but I do have it set to MP4.  I have checked all the files and confirmed they are MP4 files.

Unfortunately I do not have any other camera that will shoot 4k.    My drone can film 1080P, but I do not have any 1080P files to use at the moment.  Current weather conditions do not allow for a safe drone flight.

I would love to send you a clip from my dropbox.  here is the shareable link: https://db.tt/IjdZ9IXi

I will provide a couple other clips as well here: https://db.tt/qZfPctEu

https://db.tt/T7FUY332

Thank you for your help!

• 9. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jaronpv

I downloaded and looked at all three .mp4 files in Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 7 64 bit which had far less computer resources than your computer. No problems with any combinations of the three files for a 3 to 5 minute Timeline. Each of the files were the same except for file size. According to GSpot codec utility...

Video compression = AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264)

Audio compression = N/A ...no sound component

Frame rate = 23.97 progressive frames per second

But the Frame size was 4096 x 2160 instead of what you had said previously 3840 x 2160.

This is what I would like you to do....record with XAVC-S using the 3840 x 2160 frame size so that Premiere Elements 14/14.1 can give you an exact project preset instead of giving you the best fit project preset.

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 is giving the preset of

NTSC

AVCHD

QFHD 16 x8 23.976

which uses the 3840 x 2160 frame size because it does not have a project preset for 4096 x 2160.

You could also compare how far you can get in the project

4096 x 2160

vs

3840 x 2160

vs

1920 x 1080

You could try the .mov instead of .mp4 version, but right now I would go with the .mp4 version.

Even if this points to a computer resource issue, it is going to be hard to explain in view of the computer specs that you gave at the onset.

If it comes to it, do you have a computer shop that could give your computer a check up - RAM modules and cards and the rest? At this point, I am not seeing justification in implicating a defect recording device or corrupt files.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                            Jaronpv Level 1

I'm glad you were able to get them to work!

I know some things about computers, but I'm not completely sure what you are talking about when you say XAVC-S.  If you can please give me more instructions on that, I would love to try it!

Thank you very much!

• 11. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                              Jaronpv Level 1

I know you must have many forums you must respond to.  But If there is any more info you can give me on what you asked me to do, I would really appreciate it.

• 12. Re: Adobe Elements freezes after adding the fourth clip to the timeline
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jaronpy

Thank you for the follow up. Sorry for the delay. I got detoured but never give up on a Premiere Elements problem.

Your camera apparently records with a least two different video compressions, one AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) and the other XAVC-S. Many believe the XAVC-S is the better of the two. You should have a place in the camera settings to make that decision. But, I cannot find it in the User Manual for your device.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Professional_User_Man ual_v1.0_en.pdf

All I find is AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) as video compression and supposedly a choice of a file with a .mov or .mp4 file extension.

Because of the nature of your problem which was presenting as a computer resource issue and for video compression/format considerations, I suggested

This is what I would like you to do....record with XAVC-S using the 3840 x 2160 frame size so that Premiere Elements 14/14.1 can give you an exact project preset instead of giving you the best fit project preset.

Premiere Elements 14/14.1 is giving the preset of

NTSC

AVCHD

QFHD 16 x8 23.976

which uses the 3840 x 2160 frame size because it does not have a project preset for 4096 x 2160.

You could also compare how far you can get in the project

4096 x 2160

vs

3840 x 2160

vs

1920 x 1080

Do you have any free support from the manufacturer of the device on camera operation (other than what is in this User Manual)?

Until you work out the camera details...let us focus on 3840 x 2160 versus 1920 x 1080 to get beyond the 4th clip issue. And, if you can find the set for .mov versus .mp4, see if that makes a difference. At this point, I am not seeing the issue that you describe when I use your files. We may have to go deeper than the files themselves into the computer, but let us try to rule in or out issue related to the files being used for import in your computer environment.

Any questions or need supplemental information on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Best wishes for a happy new year.

ATR