12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2015 9:44 AM by Geoff the kiwi

Merge In Lightroom

sascoflame

I am in LightroomCC on a iMac Yosemite. I have two pictures in my liberary. I adjusted one. I want to merge it with another image that I beleive was adjusted at the same time because it was selected. In any case I have to two images selected and they won't merge.  I do photo merge with the two pictures selected. I select panorama but it says it cannot merge the pictures and asks me to camcel the command.

• 1. Re: Merge In Lightroom
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi  sascoflame,

Post the screen shot of both the images that you want to merge, so that we can have a clear idea what are we talking about.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Merge In Lightroom
            sascoflame Level 1

Thank you for your help.  I have merged vertically in photoshop.

Screenshot 2015-12-24 07.06.53.pngScreenshot 2015-12-24 07.06.32.png

• 3. Re: Merge In Lightroom
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's my understanding that it's best to perform the merge before any adjustments are made. It appears to me that the top image is a little darker. My only suggestion would be to reset both images and try again. Seems to me that they should merge. On the other hand, there might not be enough overlap to merge the two images. It's usually best to overlap at least 1/3 of the image. The spires and the tree branches might not provide enough information for Lightroom to do the merge.

• 4. Re: Merge In Lightroom
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have not seen whether you make adjustments pre merge matter at all. The panoramic merging is just not very good at recognizing overlap between images. I sometimes have luck with simply changing the projection method but often have to go to photoshop or hugin to merge images. The problem in this image is probably that the sky is featureless and so it can't find anything in there to try and merge even though to a human the overlap in the spire is completely obvious at first sight.

• 5. Re: Merge In Lightroom
                  sascoflame Level 1

The same two images merge in photoshop no problem. It seems to connect based on the two knobs on each side.  It has been over a year and still nothing works in CC.

• 6. Re: Merge In Lightroom
                    sascoflame Level 1

I was told I can edit a group of pictures in light room.  It didn't work but nothing does with adobe.  Again nothing works.  I am downloading gimp.  It seems the free stuff works and the stuff you pay for doesn't.  I am still looking for an answer to the light room question.  The videos are overly wordy and misleading.

• 7. Re: Merge In Lightroom

If you want to edit two pictures at the same time, you select them both and turn on auto-sync. You do this by clicking the little slider button to the left of the Sync button in the bottom right of the develop panel.

• 8. Re: Merge In Lightroom
                        sascoflame Level 1

Thanks but they still won't merge. The merge in photoshop. Is it that different?

• 9. Re: Merge In Lightroom

The merge function in Lightroom works very differently from Photoshop and so some things that merge fine in Photoshop don't merge in Lightroom. Whether you edit the images in advance makes no difference for Lightroom, but it matters for Photoshop.

• 10. Re: Merge In Lightroom
                            sascoflame Level 1

In what way does it matter.

Merry Christmas

• 11. Re: Merge In Lightroom

it matters in Photoshop because it merges the files fully rendered according to your settings and produces a tiff file. In Lightroom it merges the actual raw data without any settings applied and you get a new pseudo raw dng file that you can manipulate like any other raw file. You can't do that with photoshop merges so you really have to get the development of the images that you're going to merge as close as possible and as good as possible before merging, otherwise you'll get ugly seams or strange effects. In Lightroom this has no impact on the result at all except that in general the development settings of the topmost selected image get transferred to the new dng file. But that doesn't really matter since that's all non-destructive. In theory the Lightroom method is much better since it leads to less data loss but it is also not as good at detecting overlap between images for some reason.

• 12. Re: Merge In Lightroom
                                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you were prepared to I would be interested in trying these myself in Lighroom.... with a variety of settings.

If you would share them place the raw files in Dropbox and post a link here or send to me via a PM...

Thanks