19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 6:56 AM by OOhobbes

Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.

marcelgocke1984 Level 1

Hi,

I am new to the forum and saw that there are already several threads regarding similar problems. However, so far none of the tips worked. Hope someone out there might have an answer.

Since a couple of days ago, I'm having the following issue without knowingly changing anything in lightroom:

After importing the pictures from my camera (Sony/ARW) I'm seeing an exclamation mark in the upper right corner of all my pictures, which after clicking on it mentions:

" Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo"

Selecting the photo in library mode then shows a warning box at the top with the following text:

"There was an error working with the photo."

Selecting Develop then shows:

"The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"

So that's weird, because it worked without any issue before. Also it appears to be really every image I have, not just the specific new ARW files. Though I'm mainly concerned about them.

What I tried so far is:

a) Imported the images in different locations. Local Drive, Network Drive, External Storage, all the same

b) Removed the Catalog and imported the images again, obviously backing up previous versions & catalogs

c) Created another Catalog with less images

d) Checked the file & folder permissions

e) Checked and played with different destination folders for the import

f) removed lightroom entirely and installed it again.

I also checked that the file overall seems to be okay. Other programs can load and show it without any problems. Lightroom itself is also able to render it properly, at least as far as I can see in the library view.

For sake of completeness ones more the system spec I'm working with:

Mac / OSX 10.11.1

Lightroom 5.7.1

Sony A7ii with raw files (ARW)

Any help or idea would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
      Marcel

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi marcelgocke,

Please reset Lightroom Preferences Following  Recover catalog and images after resetting preferences in Lightroom

Let us know if that helps

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
            marcelgocke1984 Level 1

Hi,

just gave this a try. Removed the mentioned file and after starting lightroom didn't have to choose a catalog.

In the loaded one, the behavior is still the same as described above.

However, I just tried an old backup version of a catalog from about a month ago and that appears to be working.

Created a new catalog afterwards which appears to have the issues described above. Any way that I could have messed up the configuration for catalogs unwillingly?

Thanks for the help,
            Marcel

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
              Created a new catalog afterwards which appears to have the issues described above. Any way that I could have messed up the configuration for catalogs unwillingly?

Could you check the location of Catalog you created? (by default it is Pictures/Lightroom)

Choose Lightroom>>Catalog Settings

Then select Show

Regards,

Akash

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                marcelgocke1984 Level 1

Yep, that's where it is. However tried various locations and catalogs and all behave the same (besides the old backups apparently)

~ Marcel

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                  After importing the pictures from my camera (Sony/ARW) I'm seeing an exclamation mark in the upper right corner of all my pictures, which after clicking on it mentions:

Try importing other File Formats or older images.

Regards,

Akash

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                    marcelgocke1984 Level 1

Sure,

Jpeg & png seems to be working. Older images (nikon raw in this case) not.

~ Marcel

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.

Try Purging Lightroom Cache from Preferences

Ensure you have Camera 8.7.1 installed with Lightroom. (Check under Help>>About Lightroom)

Also post a screenshot of your import window Panel(with both side panels )

Regards,

Akash

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                        dj_paige Level 9

I think you're wasting your time messing with preferences and new catalogs and the like.

The file is corrupted, it cannot be used, and nothing you do in Lightroom will fix that. The only way to fix these problem photos is to restore the photo from a backup.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                          marcelgocke1984 Level 1

The files were directly copied from my SD card, not sure how that would be possible. I'll add the picture of the configuration in a few.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                            dj_paige Level 9

The files were directly copied from my SD card, not sure how that would be possible.

There are plenty of ways for files to become corrupted, starting with the possibility that the file was not written to the camera card properly in your camera, and each other piece of hardware in the transfer could also cause corruption. You need to restore the photo(s) from a backup.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                              marcelgocke1984 Level 1

Okay, considering that I'm right now on vacation, and the backups I'm taking are of those pictures directly on one of my sd cards or the external / internal drive, you would suggest to reset camera settings and re-format the card?

Thanks for the help btw.

Marcel

• 12. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                dj_paige Level 9

marcelgocke1984 wrote:

Okay, considering that I'm right now on vacation, and the backups I'm taking are of those pictures directly on one of my sd cards or the external / internal drive, you would suggest to reset camera settings and re-format the card?

No, that's not what I'm suggesting (but re-formatting the card using the camera — not the computer — is always a good idea).

In case the problem is a bad camera card, you could try using a different card (but obviously that doesn't help if the problem is some other piece of hardware)

• 13. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                  OOhobbes Level 1

Resurrecting a semi old thread, I'm currently having the same exact issue with pretty much the same setup (Mac / OSX 10.11.1 | Lightroom 5.7.1 | Sony A7ii with raw files (ARW) using a Sony U1 64GB SD card), wondering if this ever got resolved?

I can definitely say that the files are NOT corrupt (in my case at least) as I'm able to open and edit them fine in Photoshop CS6.  Oddly enough I'm seeing this on photos only after a certain date (11/18/2015).  After seeing the last few photos of a bunch I took that day show the exclamation mark, I formatted the card on my a7ii.  I took some photos here and there but unfortunately didn't have the time to upload them until this past weekend.  Every single photo came up with that mark.  I had a brand new identical Sony SD card that I took out of the packaging that I decided to try, formatted in camera and used it to shoot an event.  Tried uploading them tonight, same deal.  I can open them fine in Photoshop.

Which led me to check that Camera Raw in my Photoshop was version 9.1 whereas in LR5 it was 8.7... Checking my camera, I think I updated my a7ii firmware to 2.0 right on 11/17, a day before I noticed the corrupt files.  I don't know but I may have changed my RAW setting to "uncompressed" which was a new feature for the firmware.  I just checked my camera and saw it was still in uncompressed and quickly took a test shot using the original card as  compressed raw and lo and behold, no error.  I'm in process of trying to figure out how to update Camera Raw for LR5 (it said it was up to date already), but figured I'd try to put people on a new path to figuring this out if it hasn't been already.

• 14. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                    Bob Somrak Level 5

The only way to update camera raw for Lightroom 5.7 from Camera Raw 8.7 is to upgrade to Lightroom 6. 

• 15. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                      OOhobbes Level 1

Thanks Bob... I typed the below before seeing your reply.

Just saw from this thread that it looks like I (or we) may be out of luck for now...

Sony a7r II uncompressed raw file support in Camera Raw and Lightroom

Even though Adobe states "there’s no further action required and they will just work with the updated firmware in your Sony a7r ii", someone seemingly Adobe related said "We’re not planning to update Lr 5.7.1 with further camera support. Please use the DNG Converter to continue receiving future camera support compatible with Lightroom 5."

However there was even a user that purchased LR6 that still couldn't open the files.

Wendy. Tang. Fung. Yes, I'm a little pissed off.

Luckily I purchased DxO Optics Pro 10 last December instead of LR6 and it works with these files so I can "salvage" my photos that were supposed to "just work" in LR5. I was really depending on LR, don't like the apparent attempt to force people to buy the newer version when they said the "old" version would work,

• 16. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                        dj_paige Level 9

Resurrecting a semi old thread, I'm currently having the same exact issue with pretty much the same setup (Mac / OSX 10.11.1 | Lightroom 5.7.1 | Sony A7ii with raw files (ARW) using a Sony U1 64GB SD card), wondering if this ever got resolved?

I doubt this is the "exact same issue", since you don't state the exact same error message, and you provide information that was not present above.

Exactly what does happen? Exactly what is the error message you get? Provide details!!!!!!

• 17. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                          OOhobbes Level 1

Ok, I don't understand why you need to doubt, but sure I'll elaborate.

The below exactly applied to me after 11/18/2015:

"I'm having the following issue without knowingly changing anything in Lightroom

" Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo"

Selecting the photo in library mode then shows a warning box at the top with the following text:

"There was an error working with the photo."

Selecting Develop then shows:

"The file appears to be unsupported or damaged""

Didn't get to circle back to this issue until yesterday as I don't shoot much unless I'm asked to or a special occasion comes up, but I also did the same below on my own before finding this thread:

"What I tried so far is:

a) Imported the images in different locations. Local Drive, Network Drive, External Storage, all the same (thought the problem was my card)

b) Removed the Catalog and imported the images again, obviously backing up previous versions & catalogs

&

e) Checked and played with different destination folders for the import" (I have a NAS and thought that might've been the problem even though the rest of my files were fine)

Found this post and did try to reset Lightroom Preferences as per Akash's suggestion but that didn't work.  Kept re-reading this thread and since I didn't see a confirmation that this was resolved I posted my question.  I concluded my files weren't corrupt as I could open them in PS and DxO so I started back tracking at what point the issue arose (good ol' KT training).  It seems the OP's files weren't corrupt either as he was able to open them in other programs exactly as I did (maybe he had some catalog trouble on the side though judging from his followup troubleshooting). My results were put up in my last post and meant to add to what appears to be a carbon copy of what I was going through (actually found this post by Googling "Lightroom 5 Sony a7ii Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo"

Looking back at my post I'm wondering if you might have taken offense to my "files are NOT corrupt" comment as that seemed to allude to your bolded statement; that definitely wasn't directed at anyone, it was meant to establish the current state of my issue  (in my mind I agreed with the OP in that I had also copied the files directly from the card and didn't see how it could be corrupt when I could open it in other programs).

Suffice?

• 18. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                            dj_paige Level 9

No, I don't take offense at all, but we have seen many people jump into old threads, give no explanation other than "I have the same problem" when in fact they don't have the same problem, and we waste a lot of time until we determine the actual problem.

When you say DxO and PS have no trouble with the photo, have you actually tried to edit the photo in ACR through PS, or edit the RAW in DxO? What happens then?

Often the photos will look fine in other apps until you actually try to do something with them.

• 19. Re: Lightroom 5.7.1 / OSX 10.11.1 - There was an error working with the photo.
                                              OOhobbes Level 1

Understood, apologies for my apparent rush to post; it was late last night and I was in half delirious / panic mode as I had Thanksgiving and Christmas shots that I never post processed (shame on me) and an event that I shot over the weekend that I NEED to post process.

As for PS and DxO I was able to adjust a few quick things (contrast, lens correction, etc) and save them.  I will try the DNG converter tonight and see if that puts me back on track.  I've set my a7ii back to compressed files for now as I am so rooted into the LR workflow (not sure if there are any real advantages to using uncompressed files) but just a little irked that we were told it was supposed to work without us doing anything, and then told it won't work unless we convert it.