5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 8:44 AM by Peter Spier

indesign hangs/freeze with 38 % CPU usage

cylng.lmg

cpu total usage in the same moment is 40 - 50 % . windows 10 runs fine. firefox runs fine with the same cpu and memory usage.

if i open any other adobe program (illustrator/photoshop/muse) all of them work fine even while working with the 3 at the same time

edit:

i don't know what should be relevant information, but

in design cc 2015.02 release

wacom pen & touch cth-480

windows 10 v.1511

ram 16 GB DDR

processor i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz

c disk 237 BG SSD (99 GB free)

exterior tera disk for scratching (i don't even save the files i am using there)

display adapters: amd radeon hd 7670M & intel HD graphics 4000

(i don't really know what adapter indesign really use, i just hope i got it to use the amd)

Message was edited by: Lia Maitena

• 1. Re: indesign hangs/freeze with 38 % CPU usage
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Any error message? What are you doing when it hangs?

• 2. Re: indesign hangs/freeze with 38 % CPU usage
            cylng.lmg Level 1

no error messages.

it doesn't matter what i do.

It's not exactly a hang, but a freeze like hang.

even while i only open indesign it happens. If i am listening music (this started today) the music starts stopping and starting and stopping for a few moments.

and then indesign unfreeze and the mouse moves verryyyy slow and then unfreeze or unhang completely and the stuff i was working in is in different position as if it got caught in a click and released later.

and i then try to use the pen and stars again.

i am now trying to do my work in illustrator because indesing is in no way usable

• 3. Re: indesign hangs/freeze with 38 % CPU usage

It sounds like it might be a conflict with something else you run, and my bet is you need to update the Wacom drivers...

• 4. Re: indesign hangs/freeze with 38 % CPU usage
                cylng.lmg Level 1

i think part of the problem is the wacom, because makes the indesign totally not responsive.

But there's something else going on.

I tried the troubleshoot guide for freezing in windows and indesign, but didn't fix it.

drivers are updated. i usually start my working day checking if there's need to update drivers of all the system.

and about the conflict with something else running, i am looking at the task manager all the time... but i don't know what should i see there

Edit: i didn't say before, but thanks for taking the time and trying to help

• 5. Re: indesign hangs/freeze with 38 % CPU usage

Run MSConfig and try turning off the Wacom tablet driver completely (could be in start-up programs or services) and see how ID runs without the tablet (there are other reports of problems with Wacom drivers, so even if you think your driver is OK, check for a newer version). If there's no change, re-enable the Wacom driver and turn off any other non-essential startups and services (this includes your anti-virus/spyware software) and see if that makes a difference.

If ID runs with stuff turned off, re-enable the startups in groups until you are able to find the culprit.