7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 1:22 PM by wobertc

Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?

dscott77 Level 1

On two Macs, I can no longer "Save as PDF" in the Lightroom CC Print Module. My iMac is running El Capitan and my MacBook Pro Yosemite. When I access the PDF pop-up menu and select "Save as PDF" or "Open PDF in Viewer," nothing happens. The file is not saved anywhere as a PDF nor does a PDF of it open in Preview. I'm running Lightroom CC 2015.3 Release. I've tied various photos and I swear this has worked i the past. Any idea what I might be doing wrong --o n both computers?

• 1. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom does not "Save as PDF" direct from the Print module!

But- If you do select 'Print...' from the Print module you would choose a PDF "Printer" (In Windows I choose [Microsoft Print to PDF] in the printer dialog. I assume Macs can do similar). If a "PDF Printer" is not available then you would need to install software that creates PDFs from any program such as [Adobe Acrobat, or PrimoPDF]

You can "Export to JPG" from the print module, then print the JPG. (Set in the Print Job panel)

ScreenShot167.jpg

• 2. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?
            dscott77 Level 1

Thanks so much for the response. When in the LR Print Module, there is a "PDF" drop down menu in the lower left corner that offers a number of options including "Save as PDF" and "Open PDF in Preview." These are the options I've successfully used in the past but, to your point, they're not working for me now. On a Mac, I see no "PDF" option among "Printers" so that's now working for me, either. 

Also, several noted LR pros mention the ability to "Save as PDF" from Lightroom's Print Module including Julieanna Kost - "You can use the Print module to create a PDF file using the “Single Image / Contact Sheet” option found in the Layout Style panel...you will need to set up your Printer Settings to “Save as PDF” instead of printing to a printer. " Accompanying this text is a screen grab that shows the PDF drop-down button and the various options it offers.

Certainly, though, you are right to the extent that I can't get it to work any more and it's really no biggie, since I do know how to "Export to JPG" and that serves my purpose. But, I'm curious as to why the PDF drop down exists in LR if "Lightroom does not "Save as PDF" direct from the Print module!" (FYI, I easily can "Save as PDF" on my Mac with image Preview and, to my knowledge, I do not have Adobe Acrobat or other PDF-enabling software installed on my Mac.

Anyway, I appreciate the tips.

• 3. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?

I have never seen a "Print to PDF" in a Lightroom "Print Module" menu -ever!

Bottom left of my Print module screen is [Page Setup...] (Macs have two printer setup 'buttons')

If you read Julieanne's quote carefully you will see she is suggesting exactly the same as I in my post above!

Item 5.   Printing Questions from creativeLIVE « Julieanne Kost's Blog

set up your Printer Settings to “Save as PDF” instead of printing to a printer.

The image in her blog shows the PRINTER setup- not Lightroom menus!

This is a function in only selected printers obviously. In her case -"Brother HL-5370DW"

ScreenShot168.jpg

• 4. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dscott77 wrote:

When I access the PDF pop-up menu and select "Save as PDF" or "Open PDF in Viewer," nothing happens. The file is not saved anywhere as a PDF nor does a PDF of it open in Preview.

That is the printer setup only. Next in the Print Job panel select Print To: Printer and click on the Print or Printer button. The Printer button will bring up the setup window again and allow you to make changes. The Print button starts the print job (Save as PDF) with no setup popup. The 'Save PDF File As' window should appear and prompt you to enter a file name and destination folder. This is the behavior I see with Adobe Acrobat Pro installed, but it should work the same with any installed PDF printer driver.

• 5. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?
                  dscott77 Level 1

Got it. Thanks to both trshaner and wobertc for your responses and explanations. I followed trshaner's instructions to successfully "save as PDF," which apparently is how I did it a year ago -- but didn't remember this time around. Each year I create a calendar for my wife featuring our two Golden Retrievers and I wanted easily to save the completed calendar graphic/photo combination to something simple so that I could digitally share the result with a friend. I stumbled onto the PDF option and I must have done it the right way (as per your suggestions), then forgot. When I couldn't get it to work this time, I discovered that I could just as easily save it as a JPEG. However, I was baffled as to why I couldn't duplicate my earlier save to PDF -- hence the post on this thread. I sincerely appreciate the help.

• 6. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dscott77 wrote:

Each year I create a calendar for my wife featuring our two Golden Retrievers and I wanted easily to save the completed calendar graphic/photo combination to something simple so that I could digitally share the result with a friend.

Glad that helped. Your options for text are limited, but you can add a single line of custom text in the Print module using the Identity Plate as shown below.

• 7. Re: Why Won't My Lightroom CC "Save as PDF"?

Calendars? easy-

1. Create an Identity plate in Photoshop that will be the Calendar file with space for an image.

2. The identity plate must have transparency and be saved as a PNG file.

3. Open your photo in the Print Module

4. Check on the Identity Plate and locate the PNG calendar file.

5. Set photo guides to position image within the Identity plate.

My quick attempt on A4 print -  (Sorry for large screen clip!)

ScreenShot030.jpg