1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 3:12 PM by JFPhoton

Any problems editing on iMac 27" Desktop - 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core, 3TB Fusion Drive, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM

rlsconrad

Hey guys -- looking at a used/like new machine from 2012. Any problems running Premiere Pro and Audition, and burning DVDs on this beast?

• 1. Re: Any problems editing on iMac 27" Desktop - 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core, 3TB Fusion Drive, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
          JFPhoton Level 3

.... newer machines have VAST improvements over machines from only 3 years ago. DVDs are almost a relic of the past already, especially with their limited resolution and capacity. Hi - res streaming at 4K and above will be standard soon, and 4K is already widely in use. My one year old i7 laptop actually would outperform many desktop systems from 2012......the advancements in technology have been that huge.

If you are not a professional with a heavy workload, a beefy, recent gaming laptop ....even used,or, refurbished.....may have enough speed and power for your needs. So, ALL would depend on the PRICE of the above machine and if it even HAS an NVidia GPU installed. With Premiere, you would LOSE a lot of performance if that Mac has an ATI GPU in it....NO "mercury playback acceleration".

Would need more details on your machine.....CPU is OK, esp. if it turbos higher, system memory is OK, "Fusion ' 3TGB does 320 MB/sec write and ~ 700MB/sec READ.....should be good.

Don't know what CPU you have,but, I'm guessing Haswell....would be better if overclockable. if it turbos over 4Ghz, will be fine.

So, if it available at a low price and if you can install an Nvidia GPU in it if neceaary, it MAY be a good deal. If too expensive, a cheaper Windows rig may be fine.