4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 6:40 AM by abhissha

Acrobat Reader Will Not Open Evernote PDFs

teecatin Level 1

Nexus 2012 edition running Android KitKat 4.4.4 and latest upgrades of apps Adobe Acrobat 15.3.1 and Evernote 7.5.

Adobe Acrobat app will not open Evernote PDFs in notes. Screen goes black or "unfortunately Adobe Acrobat has stopped" error message.

Can open the PDFs in other PDF viewers and also can open Adobe Acrobat app and see locally stored PDFs.

Please advise.

• 1. Re: Acrobat Reader Will Not Open Evernote PDFs
          abhissha Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Andrea,

Can you please provide me a workflow that how you are getting this error. In the Evernote app I do not see an option of creating a PDF document, all you can do is use the attachment function in Evernote and attach a PDF to it and which when you open should be handled by default PDF handler on that device (i.e. Adobe Acrobat) and this opens fine on my device with Lollipop 5.1.1. You may have a different workflow or a Plus account with Evernote which I am not sure of. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Abhishek

• 2. Re: Acrobat Reader Will Not Open Evernote PDFs
            teecatin Level 1

Hi Abhishek,

First let me clarify — I meant to say this is for my Nexus 7 (2012 edition) tablet. Since you were running Lollipop, I'm guessing something was not correctly updated in this most recent Android Adobe Acrobat app update for those of us still running under KitKat. Google's update to Lollipop bricked many of the Nexus 7 (2012) devices, so those of us who stayed with KitKat still have tablets that are functioning quite well. I don't think the Nexus 7 (2013 edition) had the same issues with Lollipop. Sorry for the digression. — just wanted to clarify the edition of my tablet and Android OS. Also I use Evernote Basic (free edition).

I usually use "Send to Evernote" from a right-click contextual menu for a PDF file on my laptop to create an Evernote note that contains that PDF and have always done so. In fact with my latest version of Acrobat Reader DC, on my laptop, running Windows 7, when I open a PDF, an "Add to Evernote" option appears. That's how most of my PDFs become Evernote notes.

It's only with this last upgrade of the Android ”Adobe Acrobat" app that this problem has occurred. Also, I just tried opening a few PDFs from Evernote notes on my iPhone 5 running iOS7 and they opened the PDFs — no problem. I used the same notes that cannot open on my Nexus 7 right now.

I hope I am answering your question. Please let me know what other information you need. I should also mention that in my Nexus 7 ,I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe Acrobat app, and also have shut down and rebooted.

Thank you.

Andrea

• 3. Re: Acrobat Reader Will Not Open Evernote PDFs
              teecatin Level 1

Hello again, Abhishek,

This is an update to my previous response. I just randomly tested opening (viewing) about 25 PDFs from my Android Evernote app (I have over 5,000 notes, of which maybe 30% - 40% include PDF attachments). I was able to "view" all but three of them with the new update of Android Adobe Acrobat. Of the three that didn't open when I clicked "view" in Evernote, all had been generated by the CamScanner app on my iPhone 5, which has built-in features to convert scanned dicuments to PDF and then automatically upload them to Evernote. I should add that I could view these three PDFs by opening them in other PDF viewers. Also, not every PDF that I created in CamScanner and uploaded to Evernote had this problem. The PDFs that the Adobe Acrobat app could not open on my Nexus 7 had lengthy numeric file names (I'm assuming generated by CamScanner), while those that I had renamed in CamScanner with alphabetic names or the default name "new doc x" opened right away. I will report this to CamScanner and also ask about the numeric file names. If you have any ideas about why my Android Adobe Reader could not open these PDFs, please let me know. For those three PDFs that would not open, either the screen went black or the ”unfortunately Acrobat Reader has stopped "message appeared.

Thank you.

Andrea

• 4. Re: Acrobat Reader Will Not Open Evernote PDFs
                abhissha Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for providing the details and explaining the issue.Would you like to share any of the problematic PDF out of those 3?

Thanks,

Abhishek