10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2015 10:52 AM by Just Shoot Me

Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews

cora d. Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to EXCLUDE previews from backing up to dropbox when I backup my Catalog. I have read on several forums to exclude them, but can't seem to figure out how to do so. I backup my catalog to dropbox and it takes forever to include the previews. Any ideas would be much appreciated! I am using a mac.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
          dj_paige Level 9

How are you doing the backup?

If I was doing this, I would simply COPY (using the operating system) the catalog file itself and not the previews to Dropbox.

Thereafter, if you try to open that catalog in the Dropbox folder, Lightroom will create previews in the Dropbox Folder, perhaps that is what is happening.

• 2. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
            cora d. Level 1

I have the preferences set for LR to backup once a week when I exit. However, your solution may be my only option as it does not seem that I can change what exactly is backed up when I exit.  Julianne Kost's Adobe blog discusses that there is no need to backup the previews and discusses how to make changes to where and when the catalog is backed up, but does't discuss this issue of how to de-select the previews (at least that I can find).  Thanks for your thoughts!

• 3. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
              dj_paige Level 9

The automatic backup from within Lightroom does not back up the previews. So you can't de-select it.

Maybe you could describe your problem in a lot more detail. And describe why you think the previews are being backed up — exactly what do you see that makes you think this?

• 4. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                cora d. Level 1

thank you for your response.   I realized that my catalog and associated files were all located on dropbox ... which is where I wanted my backup copy of just my catalog. I've have since put everything in the proper place (hard drive for catalog and associated files and dropbox just for catalog). Thanks for much for your willingness to help out!

• 5. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                  dj_paige Level 9

I'm still not sure I understand. If your catalog and previews and the backup are on the same physical disk, you do not really have a backup. The backup must be on a different physical disk.

• 6. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                    cora d. Level 1

Sorry I was not clear.  I am sure that I am not using the correct lingo, which I know makes it harder to decipher what I am saying! It turned out that my working catalog and any "associated files" -- previews, etc.  were being stored on dropbox.  I am not sure when I changed it to this location, but it was being stored there and then backup copies were residing there as well.  I wanted my catalog file only backed up to drop box  but my "working"catalog (and associated files) to be stored on my hard drive.  I moved my catalog and all associated files to the hard drive; this is now where my "working" catalog lives and all backups that LR makes when existing.  And then I took your original advice and manually made a copy of the catalog to store on dropbox, which then I will also manually update weekly or anytime I make significant changes.  All seems to be working well. Thanks again for your assistance!

• 7. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                      dj_paige Level 9

As far as I can understand your words, you have not created a backup, because your backup MUST be on a different physical disk, and your backup is NOT on a different physical disk, it is on the same disk. You are living dangerously.

• 8. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You could also Point LR to make its backups to the dropbox folder and not to the same folder the working catalog file is in. This is something every one should do, as far as not storing backups in the same folder or even on the same drive the working catalog file is stored on. I have my backups set to be saved on my E drive. Which a completely different physical hard drive from the one that hold the LR program and my working catalog files.

• 9. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                          cora d. Level 1

That was what I thought I was doing when I set it up in Dropbox originally, but then my working files started coming from there.  But, based on your response it sounds like I can change the backup location to dropbox now that I have moved my working catalog to the hard drive and moving forward I should be good. 

• 10. Re: Automatic backup LR to dropbox, excluding previews
                            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Yes you can but it is slightly complicated.

Open Lightroom and go to the Catalog settings. In there you will find a section for times, periods, to make backups. Set it to Every time LR closes or the next time LR closes then Close LR. A dialog box will pop up and in that dialog window you can change the location where LR stores its backup files. You would select the DropBox folder. Then click OK. It will do a backup and that should then be synced to your online DropBox account.

Then open LR again and change it back to backup every week or whatever you prefer.