2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 11:12 AM by JimHess

Considering switching to Lightroom - questions about workflow

gwarek

Hi all,

I'm a travel blogger who regularly takes a ton of photos, and I feel like I need to get some dedicated software to help manage my increasingly huge library.

Lightroom looks like it'll do the trick but there are some things that confuse me.

A bit of background:

- At home I have a NAS server in my home network where I keep all my photos. I'm home only about half the year

- I have a desktop PC and a Mac laptop

- I'm in the field the rest of the year with only my Mac laptop.

So... how the heck do I keep things sync?

Is it possible to just import photos when I'm in the field to my Mac, then easily move all that stuff from my Mac to my NAS server whenever I'm home again?

So, does Lightroom create a library like iPhoto or can I just move folders and then tell Lightroom to look on the NAS now instead of the local HD? (Can I move/merge stuff for archiving while preserving whatever metadata Lightroom generates?)

Also... how does the cloud stuff figure into this? Is the 20GB Adobe cloud basically a 'cache' that helps sync the latest stuff across my devices, or is it a storage space like Dropbox. Not sure I fully understand.

Thanks for helping a noob make sense of this...

• 1. Re: Considering switching to Lightroom - questions about workflow
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi gwarek,

I would suggest you to create a catalog on your laptop when you are not able to access the desktop computer.

Once you are back, follow the links to transfer the catalog and images on the desktop computer.

How do I move Lightroom to a new computer?

Once you have it transferred, please follow the steps provided in the below link to merge the catalog and create a master catalog.

Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a “Master” Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Refer :

How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto

Import from Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Considering switching to Lightroom - questions about workflow
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Lightroom workflow is controlled by a "catalog" file, which is a database. This catalog keeps track of the location of your images as well as all the adjustments you make in the images. The Lightroom adjustments are not applied directly to the image file. Your images are always in the same state they were when they were imported from the camera. The catalog must reside on a drive that is local to the computer using Lightroom. The catalog cannot be stored on a network drive. However, the images can be stored on the network drive.

In a workflow such as yours, the best option would be to keep the catalog and images for the Mac laptop on an external hard drive. You can make all adjustments to the images. Then when you get home, you can plug that external hard drive into your desktop PC and import from the external hard drive. That will transfer the images as well as all the adjustments you have made to your PC at home. If an external drive is not practical then you could create the catalog and store your images on the hard drive of the Mac. Then, when you get home, you could export the catalog and images to your NAS drive and then import them into your other Lightroom catalog.

The creative cloud provides a means for you to import images to either your desktop PC or your Mac laptop and then create what is called a collection. This collection can be any type of grouping of your choice, i.e. a certain destination, a certain family, a wedding, etc. Then that collection can be synchronized with Lightroom Mobile, and it is possible to make changes on a mobile device. Any adjustments made on the mobile device will be applied to the images on the computer where they are stored.

I don't know if any of this has helped. But feel free to ask more questions. Perhaps there are others who will have better insight than I have.