4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2015 2:17 PM by trshaner

How do auto set black and white points in batches?

murrayse

Greetings,

I am trying to streamline my my work flow and automatically setting white and black points in batch will help me significantly in this. Is there are a way for me to batch set my black and white points?

Regards,

Murray

• 1. Re: How do auto set black and white points in batches?
          dj_paige Level 9

There really isn't a way to do this automatically in Lightroom. You can do it for individual photos by dragging the Whites and Blacks sliders, but that's certainly a manual way, not an automatic way.

• 2. Re: How do auto set black and white points in batches?
            murrayse Level 1

There's an "automatic" way for doing them on pics, which is by holding the shift key and double clicking on the whites or the blacks. This I want to tap into automatically, but I'm feeling like I may need to create a plug in for this. The first step will be figuring out what makes that shift and double click works.

• 3. Re: How do auto set black and white points in batches?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could do that by highlighting a group of images and then turn on auto-sync in the develop module. Then, set the black and one points for one of the highlighted images. Only problem is, doing something like that would set the same black and white point for all of the images. And I doubt that is what you would be looking for.

• 4. Re: How do auto set black and white points in batches?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

murrayse wrote:

There's an "automatic" way for doing them on pics, which is by holding the shift key and double clicking on the whites or the blacks. This I want to tap into automatically, but I'm feeling like I may need to create a plug in for this. The first step will be figuring out what makes that shift and double click works.

If you are using LR6 or CC 2015 please see this post:

Re: Adobe standard problems with my Samsung NX. Advice please?

The shift-click values will be different than the Auto Tone values, with Whites sometimes going to -100. I suggest instead using the below procedure.

You can adjust the Whites and Blacks set points for a group of image files as follows:

1) Select all files and turn on 'Auto Sync' (click on switch at bottom of Develop panel).

2) In the highlighted file click on the Basic panel 'Auto' Tone button.

3) With all files and Auto Sync still selected double-click on the Basic panel slider names Exposure, Contrast, Highlights, and Shadows. This will reset ALL of the image files to 0 for these controls.

4) Click on the Auto Tone switch to tun it OFF.

I've found the Auto Tone settings are usually a good starting point with the exception of 'Exposure.' In general simply readjusting Exposure (usually lower) after Auto Tone gets you in the ball park, but you'll need to do this "individually" on each image file. YMMV dependent on subject content, lighting, exposure etc.