5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2015 4:15 AM by Geoff the kiwi

Photos deleted off hard drive but still showing up in lightroom

leondphotos

Hello!

Unfortunately Lr runs a little slow on my computer so to save time when deleting photos I've gone though my entire catalogue using the basic windows viewer and deleting as I go. Unfortunately after working few a few thousand images I've now gone back to Lr and the photos are still there even though they are not on the hard drive (and not on the cloud)! When I try and delete via Lr it tells me that it cannot delete as it can no longer find the source of the image. It's making organising very difficult. Any advice on how I can just view the photos that are actually there? Much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Photos deleted off hard drive but still showing up in lightroom
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is a database and catalog.

As you have removed files from the disk without using the Lightroom Catalog, the catalog is now unaware of where the files are.

Always, always use the catalog to manage your files or you will end up in a mess.... kind of like not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing....

How ever in the Library Module under the Library drop down menu there is a Command "Find Missing Files" which will group all of the files Lightroom has lost connection to on disks into a Collection in the Catalog Panel on the left....

From there you can select them and remove them from the Catalog...

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 10.39.36 AM.png

• 2. Re: Photos deleted off hard drive but still showing up in lightroom
            rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi leondphotos

Greetings.

• Right click on an image and click on remove photo, if that does not work then create a new catalog.
            • Once new catalog is created, and is opened in Lightroom it will be empty.
            • Now click on File - Import from another catalog and select the original catalog.

LR will import images that are present in the catalog and skip missing images.

Regards

Rohit

• 3. Re: Photos deleted off hard drive but still showing up in lightroom

rpandita wrote:

Hi leondphotos

Greetings.

• Right click on an image and click on remove photo, if that does not work then create a new catalog.
              • Once new catalog is created, and is opened in Lightroom it will be empty.
              • Now click on File - Import from another catalog and select the original catalog.

LR will import images that are present in the catalog and skip missing images.

Regards

Rohit

Your option of a new catalog can and will lead to serious and unretrievable data loss such as Publish data, etc and ought never be recommended.

• 4. Re: Photos deleted off hard drive but still showing up in lightroom
                rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Geoff the kiwi,

Yes indeed you are right, thank you for correcting me.

However i am not sure If OP is not able to remove the images from the catalog,then what other option OP has other than creating a new catalog and importing existing images into it.

Correction - LR will import images that are present in the catalog and skip missing images.

It will still import all the images that are already present in the existing catalog.

User can always go back to the existing catalog, as it is still present on the computer.

~Rohit

• 5. Re: Photos deleted off hard drive but still showing up in lightroom

rpandita wrote:

Hi Geoff the kiwi,

Yes indeed you are right, thank you for correcting me.

However i am not sure If OP is not able to remove the images from the catalog,then what other option OP has other than creating a new catalog and importing existing images into it.

Correction - LR will import images that are present in the catalog and skip missing images.

It will still import all the images that are already present in the existing catalog.

User can always go back to the existing catalog, as it is still present on the computer.

~Rohit

No problem...

The Find All Missing Photos was a very early addition.... all that is necessary is to run the command, it creates a collection, select the ones wanted to remove, Delete and they will be removed from the catalog......