7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 1:27 PM by dcfreelancelot

AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems

georges50500218 Level 1

Greetings! I am trying to export 1920x1080 footage from a project of the same dimensions to AVI with 16:9 ration and the same 1920x1080 resolution, but I can never get this resolution, only lower numbers ( Do I need some other codecs that allow it?

Standart codects that are built it in AE CC do not seem to have this capacity ( Only if I try MPEG2 but I need AVI!

• 1. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can tell you much without knowing your exact settings and critical info like version of AE, system info and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any DV or HDV codec that is limited to non square pixels will give you problems. You need to study up on video codecs and formats. The current standard for delivery of video to almost every format and the web is h.264 rendered in an mp4 container. The Adobe Media Encoder is the right tool for this. AE's output module in the Render Cue is better suited for rendering Digital Intermediates (DI) to lossless or production formats to be used in Post Production but not for use for distribution. If you are going to be creating video you need to spend some time studying up on video formats, frame rates, and standards.

• 3. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
              georges50500218 Level 1

I am running Windows 7 64-bit workstation, export from AE CC with all latest updates via Media Encoder CC with all updates too. There are standart presets for all major formats. Usually I have no problems to export video for TV requirements, but this sucker is for shopping centers, HD resolution AVI video. Tech specs are not nearly as hard as for TV with all codec requirements ect, it is fairly simple, just an AVI with dimensions 1920x1080 and there is no way I can export AVI format with these dimensions! Plus 16:9! If I shoose widescreen PAL since I am in Russia and no NTSC is used here, max resolution for AVI I get is 1280х720 and below manual dimensions are greyed out but never show higher than 1280х720 when I try different settings....

• 4. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
                georges50500218 Level 1

That's the problem that I need AVI and that puts limitations for dimensions and ratio (

• 5. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
                  georges50500218 Level 1

Here is a screenshot - you see - from 2 main presents - PAL DV and PAL DV Widescreen I can never get full HD

screen.jpg

• 6. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If only DV options are available then you have picked the wrong format. AVI is a container. There are several formats (codecs) available. You have to pick one that is compatible with your desired output size. I suggest you study up on video formats and rendering. Check the Help files.

• 7. Re: AVI export to 1920x1080 resulution problems
                      dcfreelancelot Level 2

I'm making a few assumptions, but these are essentially the settings you want (your field order may need to be changed to "Upper First" - or the Russian(?) equivalent - if it's for broadcast):

avi.png

The important sections are the "Video Codec" section - change it from "DV..." to "None" and the "Aspect" section - change to "Square".  That will allow you to change your resolution to 1920x1080.

I'm assuming you're using the AVI as an intermediate format because hardly anyone uses AVI for the web.  In that case, you're better off using the H.264 format (as others have pointed out) or at the very least, the Windows Media format, if you're stuck in an older Windows workflow.