12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 9:59 PM by kartola1

new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?

kartola1

Hi,

I know this is an eternal question...

I really don't know if sticking with nvidia or passing to AMD gaining 4 more gb of ram.

The resolution I use for video is simply fullhd. And for gaming too. So performance should be quite similar.

Searching in forums many people say that openCL premiere support is quite mature in latest version, so I should presume there is not so much performance difference in premiere use? If it is so, maybe the r9 390 could be a more enduring choice?

What do you think?

Thanks

• 1. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
          JEShort01 Level 4

Go with the GTX 970.

Adobe Premiere Pro continues to work very well with NVidia video solutions and while AMD is every so slightly supported (mostly with Apple hardware), NVidia simply works better (faster and less crash prone) with Premiere.

• 2. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
            cc_merchant Level 4

No AMD

For the moment ONLY nVidia GeForce cards are advised. CS6 does not support AMD cards and AMD is still considered the 'New kid on the block' as far as CC goes. AMD is still in its infancy, the drivers and Adobe support is still too new to effectively compete with nVidia's CUDA acceleration, which has been proven in the past years and have stable drivers from nVidia and stable support from Adobe. nVidia CUDA support is a mature technology with a proven track record. Add to that the recent price increases of AMD cards and they have effectively outpriced themselves in the competition with nVidia.

FYI: Among the 500 supercomputers in the world, more than 20% use GPU processing to accelerate performance, like hardware MPE. 67% use nVidia and only 3% use AMD. Just to let you know...

Benchmark results with AMD cards show they are about two times slower than equally priced nVidia cards. Even the latest AMD cards lack support for feature level 12_1 in DirectX 12 in contrast to nVidia's latest cards.

from Tweakers Page

• 3. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
              kartola1 Level 1

CS6 is 2012 version.

We are in 2016 and openCL in new CC version appears to be supported at least as well as CUDA.

Or not? I can't find recent bench.

• 4. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                kartola1 Level 1

Any data to support that?

• 5. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                  cc_merchant Level 4

The article is about CC, as are the benchmarks. AMD is not supported in CS6, so there can not be benchmark results for CS6 to show the weak performance of AMD. That is only in CC.

• 6. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the extra memory on the amd card may only help in hi-res gaming, like 4k. neither card is powerful enough for high detail 4k gaming in big titles. since you are only doing HD gaming the extra memory advantage is minimal. amd does show better architecture for dx12, its sorta like having multi-tasking where as current nvidia cards do not function that way and therefore can be slower in dx12. amd has also released a new driver/software package named Crimson, this should hopefully address the software/driver issues that plagued amd/ati in the past. amd overall seems better for gaming cards, but its still very much title/game dependent.

for premiere there are certain functions that seem to have a hard time on amd cards. the amd cards certainly have the raw power, so it may be a premiere problem and/or an opencl problem. i haven't found a benchmark breakdown comparing nvidia vs amd for each function, so i can't say if you do certain tasks often to use a certain card. the general benchmarks give the edge to nvidia's cards using cuda. alot of these benchmarks are a year or more old, so its not clear if premiere or opencl have been improved or how much improved. nvidia is the safe play for performance and compatibility with adobe as well as other video and graphics programs and plugins.

• 7. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Here's the problem:

The MPE GPU acceleration support itself - both CUDA and OpenCL - has not been updated in nearly a year to begin with. As such, the OpenCL renderer in Premiere still does not support as many features as the CUDA renderer does. Unfortunately, CUDA is for Nvidia GPUs only; AMD GPUs have never supported CUDA at all. So, while the AMD GPU is technically more powerful, some of the rendering features that would have been GPU-accenerated with an Nvidia GPU would have had to be rendered in software only with an AMD GPU simply because of the current limitations of the OpenCL renderer.

And on Windows systems, you cannot directly compare the rendering performance (in Premiere with MPE GPU acceleration enabled) of a given Nvidia GPU to that of an equivalently-priced and otherwise equivalent-performance AMD GPU because all Windows versions of Premiere CC that have been released to date lock out the OpenCL renderer when an Nvidia GPU is selected as the main GPU, thus making only the CUDA renderer and the software-only renderer available.

• 8. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                        kartola1 Level 1

We shouldn't compare openCL on both card, but openCL on AMD vs CUDA on nVidia.

Tester should check the rendering performance of both cards...

If it's true that openCL renderer in Premiere doesn't support many features, it's a point for nVidia.

I can't really understand if the preference goes to nVidia because of the old premiere version (that supported just CUDA) or if is still valid.

I see posts like this and I still have doubts....

• 9. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                          cc_merchant Level 4

What is it you don't understand?

Benchmark results with AMD cards show they are about two times slower than equally priced nVidia cards.

On identical machines with CC, it clealy shows that nVidia cards are two times faster than AMD cards with a similar price tag.

• 10. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not have a R9 390 but here are some PPBM test numbers that I just ran with a R9 280X and a few other cards.  If anyone want to supply a R9 390 for testing I would be delighted to test it and return it ASAP.

AMD-vs-nVidia.jpg

• 11. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

considering how much slower the r9 280x is vs the nvidia cards in that lineup, it seems to perform good in the h264 test, but not so well in the mpeg2 dvd test. the benchmarks show a weakness in maxwell architecture with the gtx 970.

• 12. Re: new PC - nvidia 970 or r9 390?
                                kartola1 Level 1

Finally datas!!!!

It would be great to have a comparison between the new card (r9 390 and the gtx 970 correctly setted...) but we can start to make an idea based on recent data...

Thx!