5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 10:43 AM by MrhoniKeith

Strange behavior on library filtering

MrhoniKeith Level 1

I'm in a collection and there are 62 images when nothing is filtered.  I start with the far bottom right "No Filter".

If I click the Pick icon to show all the Picks it displays 56 images and "No Filter" has changed to "Custom Filter" and the Pick icon is not highlighted

If I then click the Pick icon12 images are displayed.

If I click the Pick icon, the pick is turned off and 56 images are displayed again.

If I turn off "Custom Filter" , all 62 images are displayed.

I noticed this because one image I had edited I couldn't find during this filtering.  It is marked as a Pick and is not appearing until I "No Filter" set.

I assume something is goofed up related to Custom Filter but I don't know what to do to get the filtering to work as expected.

• 1. Re: Strange behavior on library filtering
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I've seen LR get confused about the Library filter bar a couple times over the years.  Try these two steps:

1. Click the Filter bar preset dropdown menu and select Restore Default Presets.

2. If that doesn't help, try resetting LR's preferences: Resetting the lightroom preferences file - updated - Lightroom Forums

• 2. Re: Strange behavior on library filtering
            MrhoniKeith Level 1

No success on that.  I followed the instructions for LR6/CC, which didn't resolve the issue and per the instructions, removed the preferences file, restarted the Mac and launching LR still has the same issue, so I put back my preferences file.  FYI, since the LR6/CC instructions said to restart LR with Shift-Opt key pressed to reset preferences, when I put back in place the original preferences file, my preferences were not correct.  I took screenshots earlier of my preferences, so I could put them back the way they were originally.

So problem still exists and might have existed for awhile and I never realized because as I was doing this filter problem resolution I noticed something more specific that I've seen for that "awhile" time period.

First I have the filter switch set to off and so the filter area drop down displays "No filter".

Next I click on the Pick flag icon in the filter area. 

Instead of the Pick flag icon turning on, the filter area drop down changes from "No filter" to "Custom filter". 

This is when I notice that all photos in the gallery are no longer displayed.  Some are hidden.

Seems it all comes down to this "Custom filter" and how to get rid of it.  I can't see anything available to get rid of it AND resetting preferences didn't get rid of it either.  I can't even tell what this custom filter is filtering.

• 3. Re: Strange behavior on library filtering
              MrhoniKeith Level 1

Ok, this is bizarre.  I have an idea how, but not sure.

First I have the filter switch set to off and so the filter area drop down displays "No filter".

Next I click on the Pick flag icon in the filter area. 

Instead of the Pick flag icon turning on, the filter area drop down now stays at "No filter", where before it was changing to "Custom filter"

The particular photo that was flagged as a Pick now is visible. WTF!

Once I click the Pick flag icon, the filter area drop down changes to "Flagged"

If I then click the Pick flag icon representing not picked/rejected, the filter area drop down changes to "Custom filter", but all images in the collection are displayed.

All I can figure out is before this issued resolved itself I was selecting different filters from the dropdown, such as "Picked".  I even created a new preset called "Custom filter" and then deleted it.  I also saw previously that clicking the filter on/off button would change from No Filter to Custom Filter.  Now it stays at No Filter. 

• 4. Re: Strange behavior on library filtering
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

If it continues to act up, one more thing to try: Go to Preferences > Presets and click Show Lightroom Presets Folder.  Exit LR. In the Finder or File Explorer, rename the folder "Filter Presets" to "Filer Presets.save".  Restart LR.  You won't have any of the builtin presets.  Does the misbehavior still occur?  If not, then click on the filter preset dropdown and do Restore Default Presets to get back the builtin presets.  Does the misbehavior occur?

• 5. Re: Strange behavior on library filtering
                  MrhoniKeith Level 1

Thanks, John.  I will keep this thread bookmarked in case it happens again.