1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2009 6:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

Need how-to hint

gordonwd Level 1
      I'm getting better FW basics, but still have a lot to learn about how to apply various objects to create what I'm looking for. Right now I'm trying to create a simple "frame" type of object. I can use the rectangle tool to draw the outer edge, then shrink another rectangle to make the inner edge. Now what I'd like to do is to have the strip between these "edges" to be filled in with a color, but for the center (inside) the frame to be unfilled so that the canvas or whatever else I put back there will show through.

What's a good way to do this? I thought about making the 3rd rectangle with an outline wide enough to fit between the edge lines formed by the other two rectangles, but this seems pretty kludgey. Is there a more elegant way to do it?

Thanks. By the way, this is the type of stuff I'd like to see in a FW book: how to use FW to do various tasks, get commonly seen effects, etc.
        • 1. Re: Need how-to hint
          Level 7
          gordonwd wrote:
          > I'm getting better FW basics, but still have a lot to learn about how to apply
          > various objects to create what I'm looking for. Right now I'm trying to create
          > a simple "frame" type of object. I can use the rectangle tool to draw the outer
          > edge, then shrink another rectangle to make the inner edge. Now what I'd like
          > to do is to have the strip between these "edges" to be filled in with a color,
          > but for the center (inside) the frame to be unfilled so that the canvas or
          > whatever else I put back there will show through.
          >
          > What's a good way to do this? I thought about making the 3rd rectangle with an
          > outline wide enough to fit between the edge lines formed by the other two
          > rectangles, but this seems pretty kludgey. Is there a more elegant way to do it?
          >
          > Thanks. By the way, this is the type of stuff I'd like to see in a FW book:
          > how to use FW to do various tasks, get commonly seen effects, etc.
          >
          Hi Gordon:

Draw a rectangle
          Open the Path panel
          Choose Expand Path from the Alter paths tools.
          Set your attributes as required.

Another option:

Draw your rectangle
          Draw a smaller one
          Select both
          Choose Punch Paths from the Combine Paths tools in the Path panel.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/206.html
          ---