2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2015 1:12 PM by gkaiseril

Editing PDF problem

jamiem55729756

I normally edit text by clicking on edit PDF in my Acrobat DC Pro. There are certain PDFs I downloaded from a website which I can't edit. It is still an image after I click on edit. How do I do a text recognition without having to export to Word?

• 1. Re: Editing PDF problem
          Brian Stoppee Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure the PDFs are not secured, so that you are unable to edit them?

By way of example, as seen on the attached image of "Adobe Acrobat DC Classroom in a Book" PDF, see how it says "(SECURED)" in the upper right hand corner of the window? I cannot edit a secured PDF.Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 7.38.30 PM.png

• 2. Re: Editing PDF problem
            gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As noted the PDF could have some type a security applied to the PDF which prevents editing, It is also possible that the image is a scanned image. To edit this one must first us OCR in Acrobat to convert the image to text or an image over hidden text. The text PDF can be directly edited. the Image over hidden text only allows the hidden text to be edited but not the image unless you use an image editor to modify the image.