8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 5:42 PM by A.T. Romano

Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help

ashleym48698579

I am having trouble playing videos in premiere elements 13. The videos play just fine in windows media player, but when uploaded to adobe premiere elements 13 the video is very choppy and a green screen is in front. I am uploading a .mov file, however, I have tried .wmv and it does the same thing. I have Windows 10 and Quicktime Player 7.7.8 installed. It used to work perfectly and then starting having playback issues. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling adobe premiere elements 13 and quicktime, however, neither fixed the issue. It almost is like multiple still images. I thought maybe it had something to do with the codec, but I am not sure. How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ashleym

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 10 (assumed 64 bit). Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

To your immediate issues....

1. What video card/graphics card is your computer using, and is the driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Under Device Manager/Display Adapters/, is there one or two video cards/graphics cards listed for your computer?

2. Where did the original .mov file come from....brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the .mov video? How did you get the .wmv file - from a separate source or did you convert the .mov to .wmv with some converter?

3. Uninstall QuickTime 7.7.8 and install 7.7.6 instead. QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

4. Please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot and give us the readings for

Video Codec, Name, and Status as well as Audio Codec and Status. Do this for all the video that are importing into the 13/13.1 project with green frames. Please tell us also frame size and frame rate - interlaced or progressive video.

Let us start here, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
            ashleym48698579 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks you for responding. I have uninstalled 7.7.8 and reinstalled 7.7.6 instead. I have an Intel HD 4000 graphics card. I have the intel driver update utility app and it states I am up to date. I updated it recently. I have version 15.33.38.64.42.54 of the intel driver. There is just one graphics card listed under device manager.

We have a canon xf100. It records to mxf. We use the Acrock media converter to convert to .mov. We also have a Nikon DSLR that automatically records in .mov. We normally convert to .mov. However, since it stopped playing in Premeier Elements 13 we converted it using Acrock again to .wmv to test premiere elements.

• 3. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
              ashleym48698579 Level 1

Is headbands.com/gspot the right link for the gspot codec utility? It says it hasn't been updated since February 2007 and is compatible with vista. I have mediainfo on my computer. Do they do similar things?

• 4. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
                ashleym48698579 Level 1

Also, Premiere Elements has been updated and there are no additional updates. The frame size is 1920 x1080 frame rate is 30fps and it is progressive video. Please see the codec info from media info below.

Codecs.PNG

• 5. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ashleym

Thanks for the replies.

1. Sorry, I forgot to post the link for the codec utility named GSpot. Please refer to

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Its information Video Codec, Name, Status as well as Audio Codec and Status are still relevant most of the time and important if filled in.

Sometimes the field will be blank.

2. The MediaInfo (Tree View) will tell us details of Video and Audio properties, but does not seem to make a judgment on whether or not the codecs are installed on your computer - not that I have ever found.

3. From what you wrote, it seems like it did not make a difference if your QuickTime version was 7.7.8 or 7.7.6. If you can get into the Premiere Elements project, then verify the integrity of the QuickTime install by assuring that Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime has choices under the Presets field.

4. When you converted the .mxf to .mov, what did you use for the video compression - H.264 or other?

H.264.mov and Windows Media Video 9.wmv files should be compatible with Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

Let us determine why the conversion from .mxf to .mov is not giving you a supported file for your Premiere Elements project.

Depending on your details, we might want to explore the free HandBrake program to convert your files to H.264.mp4 for your Premiere Elements projects.

I had some MPEG2.mxf files that I converted to H.264.mp4 using HandBrake and was able to use these H.264.mp4 files in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 projects.

https://handbrake.fr/

Please consider, and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ashleym

Thanks for post 4 details. I did not see them until after I had posted (post 5).

Please go to the View Menu of MediaInfo to open it so that you can see the detailed video and audio properties of your file.

And, then let us know what is shown there for the video part's Format and Codec ID. It think that is will probably be AVC for format and codec ID avc1, but...

Right now just wondering if that 5.1 channel audio is creating problems. Did you set the project preset for one that is described for 5.1 channel audio.

(6 channels listing represents 5.1). Any chance that your initial files had Stereo and the problem ones had the 5.1 channel sound?

ATR

• 7. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
                      ashleym48698579 Level 1

It seems to work in Premiere when I convert it to a mp4 however, it seems lower quality. I would really like to be able to use .mov format like I was before. Here are some of the details in Mediainfo below. It is AVC and avc1 as you have said. It has DSLR 1080p30 set. I'm not positive how to check the stereo vs. 5.1 channel sound? It looks like some of our older videos were edited in 1080x720p25 even though the original files was 1920x1080.

codec id.PNG

• 8. Re: Sudden Video Playback issues in Premiere Elements 13-Please Help
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ashleym

Thanks for the screenshot. Very helpful. However, after the readout under Video, was there not a readout for Audio if you scrolled down further in that readout in the MediaInfo Tree View? If there is no audio properties readout in MediaInfo and you recorded to get video and audio components for your file, then that is highly significant. But, looking good as far as the video properties and project preset. That AVCHD.mov should have been a perfect fit for your project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

Did you double check the integrity of that QuickTime install? Do you find all the Presets under Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime.

Another test we could do to try to implicate 5.1 channel (aka 6 channnels) in all this...

a. Start a new test project, manually setting the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30 5.1 channel

You do the manual setting of the project preset before you import the file into the project, using the following steps

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                        • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the one cited above. OK out of there.
                        • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                        • Back in the Expert workspace, import some of your source media using Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets.

Does that work for you with that AVCHD.mov import?

ATR