3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 5:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Output quality Premiere Elements 14

TechCritic

Hi,

I am new to Video editing and just recently got Premiere Elements 14. I played around with it for a weekend now and am very satisfied with ist easy to use capabilities in video editing. However, I think, that I must be missing the perfect Output Settings - or could it be, that Premiere Elements has some limitations? In other words: the Quality of the imported Videos are so much better, then the Output that I am currently a bit frustrated.

SetUp

• I used a "Canon Legria HF S21" camcorder to record some movies with various settings:
        • MXP: 1.920 x 1.080, 24 Mbps;
        • FXP: 1.920 x 1.080, 17 Mbps; (mainly)

The Canon produces MTS-Files, which are displayed in the Premiere Elements Organizer as MPEG with 1920x1080 and 25hz Framerate.

Rendering etc. is done on a fast PC with Windows 10, 16GB RAM and Nvidia 680 GTX.

I tried different Output Settings:

- Adobe Default HD for  PC - 1920x1080 (H.264 + 25 hz Framerate and 32(!) Bitrate) => for 6min, this means 1,5GB

- Adobe Default Online - HD with 1440xx1080 (H.264 + 24 Framerate and 6 Bitrate) => for 6 min, this means 192 MB

Problem:

- Whatever I do the output Video does not look as good as the Input Files or the Premiere Preview  - actually, the output can be pretty bad (artefacts, stuttering, etc.).

- And then I am wondering: I mean 1,5GB for 6 min Videos? How do those film pirates get entire movies in good quality coded? ... 90 min would mean in my expample 22 GB. Would it make a difference if getting a straigt (max Quality) from Premiere Elements and do the "re-encoding" with a differen tool? ... would the results (Quality/size) be any different?

Thanks to anyone, who takes the time for a Response :-)

• 1. Re: Output quality Premiere Elements 14
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TechCritic

Have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

What is your computer operating system?

Targeting for now your recording of 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second (bitrate 17 Mbps)

(Is the frame rate progressive as I have written or interlaced)?

a. what is your setting for format in your choice of HD 1080 1920 x 1080 (High),  MP4 - H.264 or something else?

b. what is your project preset for this project for the above import?

c. what are your file size and video format requirements?

d. is there a marked difference in the Premiere Elements results if you record and use 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second (bitrate 24 Mbps)?

If we can identify a setting that would benefit from user customization, then we should be using Export & Share/Devices/Custom instead of Computer.

Please consider the above and then we will address your other comments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Output quality Premiere Elements 14
            TechCritic Level 1

Hi A.T.,

thanks for taking the time. I will go thru the questions one by one ....

* Framerate of the Canon is set to 25hz (fix) ... tried also 50i - no difference.

a. what is your setting for format in your choice of HD 1080 1920 x 1080 (High),  MP4 - H.264 or something else?

* It is MP4 with H264 @1920 x1080 .... is used high and the suggested (Premiere) middle for Output - resulting differences are minimal

. What is your project preset for this project for the above import?

* Did not change anything - following, how it looks:

c. what are your file size and video format requirements?

* I am flexible, when it comes to format and size. I wanted to keep a high Quality Version on my NAS and publish an acceptable Version on Facebook.

d. is there a marked difference in the Premiere Elements results if you record and use 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second (bitrate 24 Mbps)?

I will do some tests today pertaining recording modes - but, if the MTS Looks good and the Output does not .... then I am really wondering.

• 3. Re: Output quality Premiere Elements 14
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TechCritic

Thanks for the reply with important troubleshooting information.

Before commenting further, I would like you to confirm....

for the MXP and FXP, what is the frame rate...25 progressive frames per second or 25 interlaced frames per second (50i)?

Looking forward to your results with MXP and 25 progressive frames per second. Please verify that your Premiere Elements project preset in this case is

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p 25

Please refer to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

and

Export & Share

Devices

Custom and advanced settings

Please see

SnippingReplacement.JPG

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR