12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 3:58 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

thomasdanielnehrer Level 1

I've got some text with customized motion sequences built in one project I would like to transfer to another project.  How can I do that?

• 1. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

thomasdanielnehrer

Please verify version of Premiere Elements and computer operating system.

Mention of Motion Titles suggest that you are working in Premiere Elements 14/14.1.

Definitely we working in the 14.1 Update.  Adobe Premiere Elements 14.1 update | Adobe Content Corner

In this case, the saved customized Motion Title is supposed to save to Titles & Text/Motion Titles/Custom.

And, every time you open the project that you are in or saved closed one, you should find the customized Motion Title available for use in Titles & Text/Motion Titles/Custom.

There is no .prtl titles for Motion Titles as there is for the Classic Titles.

Consider

motiontitle2JPG.jpg

motiontitleend.jpg

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/motion-titles.html

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification about the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

Hi, A.T...

I'm using Premiere Elements 13.  I don't see the option to save a Motion Title.  Is that new in v. 14.1?

I have some complex routines with text moving around the screen as a title to the current episode -- overlaid on another animation.  These intro routines have several Titles, Images and sound effects, all coordinated in motion.  I would like to save such a custom-built clip for use in other projects (additional episodes).  Is that only possible with v. 14?

• 3. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

thomasdanielnehrer

Sorry about that. I thought you meant Premiere Elements 14/14.1 Motion Titles (new).

For Premiere Elements 13/13.1, you have only Classic Titles. Here titles can be saved for future use as .prtl files.

But, here is the consideration.

1. Are this

some text with customized motion sequences built in one project

related to one text graphics title created in the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Titler? If yes, you can save the text component in one.prtl file, but any graphics in the title file will be saved separately. The .prtl file needs to trace back to the graphic file wherever it was when the text graphic title file was created.

To save the text file...

a. create the Title file in the Titler. Close the Titler.

b. in Expert workspace/Project Assets, highlight/select the title that you are planning on saving as .prtl.

c. then go to File Menu/Export/Title where you will then find an active Title link...follow to saving to computer hard drive.

d. for use in a Premiere Elements project, import from hard drive save location, using Add Media/File and Folders.

Please consider. Any clarification needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

Hi, again, AT...

Yes, I followed through that to save a simple Title asset.  But the routine I would like to export to make available to other projects is a complex of several Titles, Images and Sound effects.  The Titles and Images all do complex, inter-related motion.  I guess that just isn't possible with 13.1 PE.

Do I correctly understand that the Motion Titles option in the new system, 14.1 Premiere Elements would allow me to do that -- save a complex, interrelated set of Assets for use in another project?

Thanks for your help in any case!!!

-- Tom

• 5. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the follow up. From what you describe, I do not believe 14/14.1's Motion Titles will do what you want in the way of saves of more than one complex text title interaction scheme . And, I think of these Motion Titles as Classic Titles with built in animations per file. Although they offer a level of customization by the user, I do not think that this level would be what you require.

What you could do is this...create your complex title situation in a new project, and then export that to a file saved to the computer hard drive. If there is transparency that needs to be maintained in that Timeline content, then we will discuss that further. There are one or two exports that can be set up for an export with transparency in the file maintained. If you supply more information on that factor, I will suggest export setting for you to try if you have interest in this approach.

Looking forward to your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

Hi, again, AT...

Yes, it's the transparency that is the problem.  Here's what I mean: I just uploaded my 13th video in my Essence of Reality series to YouTube.  Here's the link: EoR: Whats Wrong with Christianity - Part 1 -- Vol 2 Issue 11 - YouTube

From about 23 seconds in through 33 seconds, you see text moving through, overlaying an animation created by my son.  It flows into the setting above a seat at 36 seconds where I appear to start talking.  Thus, it connects the sections.

I would like to use that text in motion sequence, adapted slightly for the other five parts of this sub-series.  If I can't somehow export it, I'll have to recreate it each time -- a bit tedious.  I can roll the section into its own MP4 and reuse it., but it isn't transparent, so I can't make the text flow into the next clip.

If there's a way to export that text with a transparent background, that would work.  By the way, all of my episodes are done in Premiere Elements 13.1 -- it's really a flexible, fun system to use.  I got it July (along with a book to help me learn it) and was making pretty good videos with images and text added in short order.

Let me know about exporting a transparency.  If that's possible, I'll make it work!

-- Tom

• 7. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding exporting Timeline content with transparency so that the transparency is maintained in the export.

1. Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9 ( I road tested this to get 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second Animation.mov file transparency maintained in export.)

The key is the  NTSC DV 16:9's Advanced Button/Video Tab and the Bit Depth setting to 32 bit coupled with the Animation video codec.

2. Publish+Share/Computer/AVI  with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen. (I road tested this to get 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second. Key is Video compression = None and Bit Depth set to 32 bit under Advanced Button/Video Tab of the DV NTSC Widescreen preset.

(Other properties under the Advanced Button/Video Tab were changed to give me the 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second file. But, for the matter of transparency maintained in the export, here keys were video compression and especially bit depth = 32 bit.)

Still exploring other combinations of video compression to go along with the 32 bit depth.

Please let us know if the above works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

Hi, again...

I appreciate the help and suggestions.  But with each of those options, I export the animated clip well -- resolution is OK.  But the background isn't transparent -- it's black.  Is there something I would have to do make it transparent?  Like record it against a solid blue or green background so that I could set up a Chroma Key when I import it.  I think I'll try that...

-- Tom

• 9. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

Hi, again...

This works!!  I created a pure green, 1920x1080 image in GIMP (sorry, not photoshop, but that would have worked, too!) and put it in as a background to my animated, moving text.  Then I exported the animation using my usual AVCHD, hi-res option MP4 H264 1920x1080p 30.

When I add that as an asset, I just set the Chroma Effect onto the animation and I'm all set.  I do have to adjust my colors a bit, as the Chroma finds some green in my text -- but I can do that without any problem.

We're all set!!  Thanks, AT -- tricky problem!  The solution wasn't in the export, but how to communicate the transparency from project A to project B.

Thanks for all your help!  You got me on the right track...

-- Tom

• 10. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks for the update.

You seem to be OK, but....just to be sure....

1. Premiere Elements uses black to represent transparency - have you made the distinction between the color black and Premiere Elements use of black to represent transparency? Did you put something underneath the image that was supposed to have transparency to make sure that the image below showed through the areas of transparency in the file above?

Not all choices (even with 32 bit depth) of export maintain transparency. Did you use specifically one or both of what I described for the QuickTime and AVI (Animation.mov and "None".avi?

2. Chroma key is an excellent choice within the program for keying out a solid color in case all precautions were not made to assure transparency when the file was imported into Premiere Elements, but.... If your export needs to preserve the transparency, how are you dealing with that? Or, are you going from project to project keying out any solid color with Chroma Key and editing the Chroma Key effect applied?

From what you wrote, you appear to be OK with your progress and opportunities in your workflow. Great news. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?

Hi, again, AT...

Actually, I came to use Videomerge, which works fine.  If PE recognized the imported video's black background as transparent, there wouldn't be any issue.  I tried both ways you suggested -- first the Quicktime .mov file then the AVI, setting things as you suggested.  Both published (exported) mov and avi files, though, weren't seen by PE as transparent when I imported them.  I added them (one at a time, of course) as assets, then placed them on the timeline above the intro sequence they should appear over top of.  But the black background was black, not transparent.

I don't recall, but I don't think PE offered to do the Videomerge with the black background.  Also, come to think of it, some of the text characters were dark -- they might have been messed up if black were the basis of the transparency.

When I put a green backdrop on the animation, I made sure there wasn't any green in the text.  Then, I published it to my flash drive as an AVCHD -- as suggested by the Guide book to APE 13.  When I imported it, then, PE detected the solid background, automatically interpreted pure green as the neutral color, offered to treat it as Videomerge -- and I got the transparency.

In one way, I'm better off with a Green or Blue Screen background, because the animation this text has to cover is white -- so I need dark characters.  If the background were black instead of bright green, the characters might be distorted.

Anyway, it works!  In other instances, I'll see if I can use the black as the transparency. 

Thanks, AT -- I appreciate your concern and help in solving this problem.  Despite the effort, it will save me time on future episodes and I learned some things!

-- Tom

• 12. Re: How do I transfer or copy a Title/text element from one project to another?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

Thanks.

The key "it works" and allows you to move forward with your projects.

Thanks for sharing your results with us. Appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR