10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2015 3:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format

justinw86398615 Level 1

I had to wade through several layers of "does this answer your question" to get here. I would ask the Chat but that option is only available in office hours. Also I was struck that the option I had to choose was "TroubleShooting and How Tos". No option for "crashing"

Anyway I have a paid copy of Premier Elements 14. It consistently crashes when attempting to output a file to h.264 (YouTube format) at 1920 x 1080 20 fps. Since this is the resolution and frame-rate of the source file this should be the easiest format for it to write to.

Anyway does anyone know of any workarounds for this before I go back to Adobe for a refund?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
          justinw86398615 Level 1

One workaround for this specific problem turns out to be to use the h.264 1920 x 1080 option from the mobile devices / Android menu.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure about that 20 fps?

You shouldn't need a workaround if your computer is up to snuff and you're not working with some non-standard video codec.

If you'd like us to help you troubleshoot it, please let us know which processor you have, how much RAM, how much defragmented free space is on your hard drive and what operating system you're using. And if you've got all the operating system's updates as well as the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.

Also let us know what model of camcorder your original video is coming from and what resolution and format it is.

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
              justinw86398615 Level 1

Nope. That was an error 29 fps.

My computer is running Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Whether or not that is "up to snuff" is a matter of taste perhaps.

Windows rates the computer highly in terms of spec. apart from the hard-disk which is not solid state.

Source file for the project is a MOV container with an h.264 / mpeg4 encoding from a Nikon camera

RAM: 8 GB

Processor: i7 950 @ 3.07 Ghz

Interestingly I can't tell you how much defragmented space there is on my hard drive because it crashes before offering me a drive to save to. For the record there does not appear to be any fragmentation on any of my hard drives or storage devices because Windows is optimising them weekly. There is 191 Gb free on my C: drive (main drive) which is where the programme successfully saved the file to using the work-around.

I have version 7.7.8 of Quicktime. This appears to be the latest version. I installed it when installing the programme.

It would appear that my setup meets the system requirements?

I would contest that this is a matter of "trouble-shooting". It would appear to me that the programme has a fault. Though if you can advise how to fix it that would be great.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                A.T. Romano Level 7

justinw

Several points to clarify...starting with "It consistently crashes when attempting to output a file to h.264 (YouTube format) at 1920 x 1080 20 fps".

Export & Share

Devices

Mobile

HD 1080 1920 x 1080 with format MPEG2 - H.264 (High)

or

Export & Share

YouTube

HD 1080 1920 x 1080 (High)

or

Some place else trying to get a MP4 -H.264 1920 x 1080p30 file?

To best define your exports, you might want to consider Export & Share/Devices/Custom and its advanced settings for creating your own export presets.

Also, please replace QuickTime 7.7.8 with QuickTime 7.7.6. QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I have deleted much of what I originally wrote since I was not sure of the answers to the above yet.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, but saying "the programme has a fault" doesn't help, does it? Troubleshooting is about finding out where the fault is so that you can resolve the issue.

I'm not sure why you're not willing to give me complete answers to your questions -- but without the answers we need, we can't offer specific solutions.

It looks as though ATR is, once again, running parallel to me, asking her own questions. So it's up to you whose line of thinking you want to follow.

But it IS important to consider how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive, and it does matter what your source video is and how closely your project is set up to match those video specs.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                    justinw86398615 Level 1

What an extraordinary answer!

I gave - as far as I can see - 100% complete answers to your system configuration questions. If I didn't please just say which question I didn't answer?

Do you work for Adobe? I can't help feeling that taken together this claim that I didn't answer your technical questions with your initial comments about my computer being "up to snuff" that this a PR exercise designed to cover over the fault in the product.

Again - please just tell me which of your questions about my configuration I haven't answered and I'll gladly try to answer them!

I would add: as far as I am concerned this is a fault. That is - the product doesn't work. Normally that would be described as a fault. To call it a fault doesn't mean I am just making a complaint and am not prepared to do my part to help resolve it. On the contrary I would love the problem to be resolved. It just seems to me that if something doesn't work as it should and I've paid for it that is a fault. Contractually it matters because if the fault persists I will have to obtain a refund and buy a product that does work.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                      justinw86398615 Level 1

Steps to reproduce:

Publish+Share

SocialWebsites

YouTube

High Definition 1920x1080 for YouTube OR Pal High Definition 1920x1080 for YouTube

Click Next

"Adobe Premier Elements 13 has stopped working"

I'm not inclined to downgrade my QuickTime for Windows - at least not without a reason. In general I aim to keep all my software packages up to date as this is the best way of getting the latest bug fixes and security patches.

I would add that I've tested this with a different source file. Same problem.

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

justinw

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

You mentioned that you were working with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 and using QuickTime 7.7.8 which is the latest version of QuickTime. I found that highly unusual based on my observation and that of others who have found that QuickTime 7.7.8 does not update to 7.7.8 on Windows 10. I upgraded two of my computers to Windows 10 64 bit and could not update QuickTime beyond 7.7.6 and the other beyond 7.7.7 (I eventually replaced 7.7.7 to 7.7.6 on that one computer). QuickTime 7.7.8 appears to be a known Microsoft issue. Even though 7.7.6 is not the latest version of QuickTime, it has been meeting the Premiere Elements system requirement for QuickTime 7.

Could you please explain the inclusion of the following in your reply to me (post 7) since you have said that you are working with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10.

Steps to reproduce:

Publish+Share

SocialWebsites

YouTube

High Definition 1920x1080 for YouTube OR Pal High Definition 1920x1080 for YouTube

Click Next

"Adobe Premier Elements 13 has stopped working"

The counterpart of that in 14 would be

Export & Share

YouTube

HD 1080 1920 x 1080 (High)

with the "High" giving you the bitrate = 8 Mbps (megabits per second)

The version 13 counterpart does not show a bitrate reading, but from my estimate of bitrate used there based on estimated file size and duration, it appears to be the same as what 14 is using.

If you wanted to export your 14's Timeline content to a file to be exported to YouTube at the YouTube web site, I would suggest

Export & Share/Devices/Custom with advanced settings....for PAL settings....

Custom.JPG

Please consider the above. If any questions or need clarification on any of the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Just in case....this is not Adobe. Rather essentially a user to user forum.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                          justinw86398615 Level 1

Hi A T Romano

First of all an apology. I am using Premier 13 not 14. (I have version 14 of Photoshop Elements hence my confusion).

Following your advice above mapped onto v13 I've gone:

Publish+Share

Mobile Phones and Players

Advanced.

Saved with 1920 x 1080 Pal 29.97 fps

I chose Pal

Also I tested with letting it choose the settings based on the source settings. Everything was the same except my source was NTSC and when it chooses it chooses NTSC.

Yes. So this works fine. (Both options).

I definitely have v. 7.7.8 of Quicktime. I upgraded Windows 10 on top of Windows 7 (I think) and maybe that is why I have this version.

The bug I've described seems to effect that whole tab. The Publish+Share... SocialWebsites one. The program also crashes with Save to Facebook. Also h.264. But also with Save to FLV for YouTube - which (I think?) does not use h.264.

I don't know what might be unique to this tab? Given that it has problems with FLV as well and given it can save to h.264 I am beginning to think it is this tab rather than to do with a video codec. I suppose I could try uninstalling and re-installing the programme..

That said - since we've discovered a way I can export to the format I want I am inclined to leave it alone for now

Thanks for your help

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 14 crashes on save of MPEG4 h.264 format
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

justinw

Thanks for the update with the wonderful news that you have found a way that you can export to the format that you wanted.

Great job of follow through. There have been several challenging struggles with those Premiere Elements uploads when Windows 10 is involved.

When and if you want to visit these issues, please know that we would appreciate the opportunity to work with you on that matter. But, right now, you appear in a good place, moving forward with your projects.

As for the matter of QuickTime 7 version for Windows 10. If all is going well, then I suggest that you stay with 7.7.8 which you have. I did some experimenting after I read your comments on your QuickTime setup.

1. In my Windows 10 Home 64 bit upgraded from Windows 8.1 64 bit, I cannot update beyond 7.7.6 from QuickTime's app on the computer.

And, in my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit upgraded from Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit, I cannot update beyond 7.7.7 with QuickTime's app on the computer. But, if I uninstall QuickTime 7.7.6 or 7.7.7 from my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer and download and install QuickTime 7.7.8 from the Apple web site to that computer, then 7.7.8 installs. I need to do some tests to see how that relates to Premiere Elements performance. Thanks for exchanging your information on the QuickTime 7 requirement.

Best wishes

ATR