2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 10:31 AM by lauriea14166520

Text Path animation preset not working

lauriea14166520

Please help. I am very new to After Effects. I have been working through lessons in a book that requires me to use path animation presets. I followed the instructions and found the preset on Bridge, double clicked, and it created a layer. I changed the type and it does not move. I can see motion path but the text only changes in sale. Beneath the text I see an option for "Path" that is set to "None". The motion path is listed below on the drop down but it will not let me change it. I am using a Mac with OSX 10.11.2 and the most recent version of After Effects from Creative Cloud. I have attached a screenshot of the timeline panel. Is there a way to select the loop path that I am missing? Thank you.Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 4.15.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-28 at 4.08.55 PM.png

• 1. Re: Text Path animation preset not working
          dcfreelancelot Level 2

That specific text animation preset is broken in the most recent version of After Effects (13.6.1).

While presets have their benefits, for the purpose of learning AE, it's better to know how to achieve your desired results from scratch.  To animate text along a path, here is one option:

1. Create a new project (File > New > New Project).

2. Create a new composition (Composition > New Composition).

3. Create a new text layer (Layer > New > Text).  Enter your text.

4. If it's not already selected, select your text layer either via the Timeline Panel or the Composition Viewer.

5. Use either the pen tool or one of the shape tools from the Tools Panel located beneath the menu bar - draw your shape/mask/path in the Composition Viewer.  This is the shape/mask/path that your text will animate along.

6. In the Timeline Panel, reveal the path properties of your text layer (Layer > Text > Path Options > Your Mask).

7. To animate your text along the selected mask: If your text is left justified, set keyframes for the First Margin property; if your text is right justified, set keyframes for the Last Margin property; if your text is center justified, set keyframes to either the First Margin or Last Margin property.

• 2. Re: Text Path animation preset not working
            lauriea14166520 Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. I will try this instead.

Laurie Alsobrook

Teacher-iUniversity Prep

Biology, Physics, and Art

https://sites.google.com/a/gcisd.net/iuniversity-prep_laurie-alsobrook/

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 8:28 AM, dcfreelancelot <forums_noreply@adobe.com>