That specific text animation preset is broken in the most recent version of After Effects (13.6.1).
While presets have their benefits, for the purpose of learning AE, it's better to know how to achieve your desired results from scratch. To animate text along a path, here is one option:
1. Create a new project (File > New > New Project).
2. Create a new composition (Composition > New Composition).
3. Create a new text layer (Layer > New > Text). Enter your text.
4. If it's not already selected, select your text layer either via the Timeline Panel or the Composition Viewer.
5. Use either the pen tool or one of the shape tools from the Tools Panel located beneath the menu bar - draw your shape/mask/path in the Composition Viewer. This is the shape/mask/path that your text will animate along.
6. In the Timeline Panel, reveal the path properties of your text layer (Layer > Text > Path Options > Your Mask).
7. To animate your text along the selected mask: If your text is left justified, set keyframes for the First Margin property; if your text is right justified, set keyframes for the Last Margin property; if your text is center justified, set keyframes to either the First Margin or Last Margin property.
Thank you so much for your help. I will try this instead.
Biology, Physics, and Art
On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 8:28 AM, dcfreelancelot <firstname.lastname@example.org>