7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2018 11:10 AM by MontanaKarl

Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports

angelobanjo Level 1

The Aperture importer organizes photos in YEAR>MONTH>YEAR-MONTH-DAY folder structure.  I don't see this as an option when importing new photos into LR.  It will do the YEAR-MONTH-DAY folder name, but only within a root folder, not within a nested folder containing the month number.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Angelo

• 1. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
          dj_paige Level 10

There are only certain per-specified date options for your folder names in Lightroom. Lightroom and Aperture do not provide the same set of folder name options.

• 2. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
            angelobanjo Level 1

Thanks dj,

The paths and folder structure are new and created by the LR importer, so not from Aperture.  I'd just like to match the folder structure with new LR imports.  (Or are there unique folder structures only available in the importer?)  See attached.  Thanks.

2009-09-23.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------

2015-01-01.png

• 3. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
              dj_paige Level 10

As I said, some things are not built into Lightroom, and so I suspect you will not be able to match this using Lightroom.

You could use the Lightroom filter bar to find photos taken in a given month, regardless of folder name.

• 4. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
                florida712

Hi,

I have the very same problem and thought it was my mistake (or that I was going crazy).

dj_paige: I understand you say that some things are not built into Lightroom and hence we cannot match this folder structure.

The point here is that I (and I assume the op as well) have imported the library from Aperture using the preset folder structure assignment from LR. I used YYYY / YYYY-MM / YYYY-MM-DD, after the import I was surprised to find the structure as posted above, ie. YYYY / MM / YYYY-MM-DD. I was surprised, but that structure also worked for me.

NOW the problem is that any further imports from sd cards or pictures outside the Aperture library are imported as the folder structure setting originally called for --> YYYY / YYYY-MM / YYYY-MM-DD - this messes up the overall structure and I am not able to correct the problem since the setting applied to the Aperture import is not available to choose.

Apart from renaming and moving all Aperture-related folders from hand, I don't have any idea and would appreciate ideas and comments.

• 5. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Whay would you want MM folders?? I looked at this over a long period and the most logical system is not to have folders with the same name and simple MM folders are duplicated every year with potential for data loss errors... hence I use YY/YY-MM/YY-MM-DD... no duplicate folders names at all....

• 6. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
                    florida712 Level 1

Geoff the kiwi: Thanks for your response. I agree with your view on the double named folders. The key from the question was why this was happening and how to avoid it.

I guess since the Aperture import only happens ones, I just have to live with it and rename the MM-folders into the the originally intended YYYY-MM, which is not too much work over 12 years.

• 7. Re: Can't match folder structure from Aperture import to new LR imports
                      MontanaKarl Level 1

I'm running into this same issue importing a large Aperture library as I convert to Lightroom Classic.  I know this is 2 years since the last post... but the issue hasn't changed and needs to be addressed by Adobe. ;-)

Key point that is missed by some responders:  The Aperture Import Plug-In is an  Adobe product delivered with Lightroom.  It is not an Apple product.  And it does NOT use any of the file organization used by Apple/Aperture.  Rather, I creates these new folders in the format yyyy > mm > yyyy-mm-dd into which the imported masters and previews are placed.    I suspect none of us want that exact folder structure, but we have no control:  Adobe wrote the plug-in to do it this way.

Why is this a problem - rather than as florida712 says "import only happens once"?

The modified Aperture images are imported only as their JPEG previews.  Yes, we can regenerate all previews in Aperture so that they are full-resolution, low compression JPEGS - but they are still 8 bit JPEGs without color management.

In their Lynda short course on "Importing an Aperture Library into Lightroom", Rich Harrington and Scott Bourne point out the benefits of exporting 16 bit TIFFs using the ProPhoto RGB color profile in order to preserve as much as the edited Aperture image as possible.

It's easy to have a smart filter in Aperture to show only your adjusted photos (versions), and even your most important ones and export those to 16 bit ProPhoto TIFF.

BUT ... you cannot import those images in a way that they will be side-by-side with the Adobe Lightroom Aperture Import plug-in!   The normal Lightroom import cannot match the yyyy > mm > yyyy-mm-dd folder structure.  Because of that, you cannot STACK the TIFF with the master and preview (version) jpeg... LR will not allow that if the images are in different folders.

With thousands of modified images to be exported and then imported as TIFF - manual movement into the matching folders to allow stacking isn't an option.  The only solution for a full, clean Aperture import is for Adobe to give the user control over the folder hierarchy format for their Aperture-import plug-in - by using the same folder options as are presented / allowed in Lightroom's normal import process.