8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 1:30 PM by carlag5437781

I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?

carlag5437781

Installed Lightroom 6 from the disc onto my computer.  It is now telling me that my trial version is up.  I have a Serial Number and a code on the back of the box but can't seem to get it to work unless I sign in to Adobe and then go through all the issues again and again of re entering my Serial No and each time I close the program, I have to resign in, get the message about the trial version ending or sometimes starting again and then have to re enter the numbers.  I am most unhappy at this point.

• 1. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi carlag,

Please refer steps mentioned in How to convert a Lightroom CC trial to Lightroom 6

Let us know if that helps

Regards

Akash

• 2. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
            carlag5437781 Level 1

Okay so I talked to Customer Support and they had me uninstall and the use the link they sent me to reinstall the program and enter the serial number.  So I just spent a couple of hours doing all that.  Now it wants me to stay signed in or if I sign out, it will eliminate access to the program.  What is the deal?????  I purchased the program disc through Best Buy and have had nothing but difficulty with it.  I need to be able to use it and to not have to sign into the Internet.  I am setting myself up as there is a time in the not too distant future when I will be moving and won't have access to the Internet and I'd like to be able to use my Lightroom as I take tons of pictures and want to use it.  But if I have to be online for it to work, then my question is why wasn't it obvious so I didn't purchase the program in the first place.  I could have opted to get something else that would allow me to take pictures and work with them without having to sign in to use the program.  Please advise.

• 3. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
              dj_paige Level 9

Now it wants me to stay signed in or if I sign out, it will eliminate access to the program.  What is the deal?????

This is the mechanism by which Adobe makes sure you are using your Lightroom 6 serial number on a maximum of two computers, which is one of the conditions stated in the license. They have used similar mechanisms for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements in the past.

I need to be able to use it and to not have to sign into the Internet.

You do not need to have internet access to use Lightroom 6. This sign-in mechanism requires internet access at the moment you enter your serial number in order for it to be confirmed; after that you do not have to have internet access (unless of course you do the complete wrong thing which is sign out and then later sign back in, which then requires internet access). So do not sign out each time you are done using Lightroom.

• 4. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
                carlag5437781 Level 1

Okay, so then are all my photos then on the net if I am signed in?  I don't want to be connected and put my photos in a cloud as I have enough space on both my laptop and my desktop for photos that I take.  Also if I sign out then does that mean I have to start all over again uninstallling and reinstalling Lightroom?  And don't I have to sign out in order to fix the problem on my laptop by uninstalling and using the link to reinstall anyway?  Confused.

• 5. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
                  dj_paige Level 9

None of your photos are on the internet. Period.

Lightroom 6 does not have the Creative Cloud features to share your photos on mobile devices.

Everything (program, photos, catalog) is on your local hard drives.

Also if I sign out then does that mean I have to start all over again uninstallling and reinstalling Lightroom?

Do not do this!!!!! Do not sign out!!!!!

Do not do this!!!!! Do not sign out!!!!!

And don't I have to sign out in order to fix the problem on my laptop by uninstalling and using the link to reinstall anyway?

No you don't have to sign out. What problem is this anyway? Whatever it is, it will not be fixed by signing out.

• 6. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
                    carlag5437781 Level 1

The problem was initially on my desktop and signing out and not knowing it was an issue.  So Customer Service had me uninstall Lightroom 6 and then use their link to reinstall it on my hard drive and put my Serial Number in.  Both my laptop and my desktop had Windows 10 installed on them when I bought the first in August and the second in September.  A couple of days ago both computers did their usual Microsoft Windows updates and they had to both put on a new Windows 10 upgrade.  I was told it was to fix issues they had with the first release of Windows 10.  My laptop ended up discarding prior installs on one of my programs and so to be safe I checked my desktop and discovered that my Lightroom 6 didn't work anymore; hence, my contacting Adobe to try and figure this all out.  My Photoshop Elements appears to be having no problems at this point.  When I contacted Customer Support and they sent me a link to reinstall Lightroom 6, I was told I would probably have to uninstall and reinstall Lightroom 6 on my laptop as well if it has problems.

So to be clear NEVER sign out; correct?  I think I got it now, just confirming.

• 7. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
                      dj_paige Level 9

If uninstall is necessary, then I believe you should sign out before you uninstall; and then when reinstall occurs you would have to sign in.

Other than that, I see no reason for you to sign out at any time; in fact it is counterproductive.

• 8. Re: I purchased the disc for Lightroom 6 and installed it and now......?
                        carlag5437781 Level 1

Okay.  Thank you for  your help.  It is a bit clearer to me now.  Happy New Year!