4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 3:28 PM by JMcCu

Tagging unmarked links causes tagged annotations error for all other links in document - HELP!

JMcCu Level 1

I'm working on making Word documents accessible using Adobe Acrobat Pro. Each document contains a number of hyperlinks - the majority are at the end in a references section but there are a few located in text boxes in the body of the document. For some reason the hyperlinks contained in the text boxes are never tagged properly, but all the hyperlinks in the references section are fine. When I try to tag the hyperlinks in the text boxes (I've tried a variety of methods, including the "Find..." > "Unmarked links/annotations" route) it somehow corrupts all the hyperlinks in the rest of the document (I get many "Tagged annotations - failed" errors) that previously did not cause an accessibility error.

BUT when I check the tag trees for the hyperlinks in the references section, they are all still correctly structured (i.e. "Link" > "Link - OBJR" & Link text container). Is this really an accessibility issue, or just an Adobe accessibility checker glitch? (See example below)

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 1.54.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 2.05.14 PM.png

Image 1: No link tagging error

Image 2: Link tagging error (but exact same structure!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

• 1. Re: Tagging unmarked links causes tagged annotations error for all other links in document - HELP!
          a C student Level 3

Hi JMcCu,

I am not a Mac user so I am not sure that I can help, but this seems like an interesting problem. How exactly are you creating the PDF from Word? What version of Word and Acrobat Pro are you using? Any chance you could share the PDF so I could take a look? How do you or your organization define an accessible PDF - that is, do you consider "passes the Acrobat checker" good enough, or is WCAG 2.0 and/or ISO 14289 compliance your goal?

a 'C' student

• 2. Re: Tagging unmarked links causes tagged annotations error for all other links in document - HELP!
            JMcCu Level 1

Hi 'C' student, thank you for responding!

So (because I'm a Mac user) I have to use both Word for Mac (2011) and Word for PC (latest version) to be able to properly export Word docs to PDF. I basically check the Word doc structure on my Mac, transfer it from Mac to PC, then use PC version to "Export to Adobe PDF" (this feature isn't yet available on Mac version). I then bring the PDF back over to my Mac and clean up the structure in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (I'm a CC subscriber, so it's a continuous version).

Unfortunately I'm not authorized to share this particular document as I'm not the primary author (I consult for a not-for-profit) and it's not yet published. Just passing the accessibility checker is not enough - we are trying to be WCAG 2.0 compliant. The accessibility checker tool is somewhat helpful, but I've found glitches with it in the past and just had to rely on my knowledge of tagging structures to be sure the documents will run through screen reader programs and transfer to mobile tech okay... I need to invest in JAWS eventually as a second screening tool, just haven't done that yet.

If you have any insight/recommendations it'd be greatly appreciated (but I realize this will be difficult given I can't pass off the document to you to recreate/demonstrate the problem I'm having).

Thanks again,

Jess

• 3. Re: Tagging unmarked links causes tagged annotations error for all other links in document - HELP!
              CtDave Level 5

An oft ignored unpleasantness is that WCAG won't get you all the way there for a fully accessible PDF.

For that you'd first use ISO 14289-1 (soon to be "-2" <g>) then drop in to WCAG to address that which is not specifically "PDF" but present in/on the page content.

Remember, ISO 14289-1, PDF/UA is built on ISO 32000-1 (PDF-Reference ISO Standard) with particular focus from Clause 14. Review these to assure you actually have the straight skinny on use/build of the Link element/tag.

As to Acrobat's PDF Checker -- Always a good first check but keep in mind the disclaimer that is present in the tool's active window - essentially the checker does not assure an Accessible PDF.

Follow up with the use of Samuel's "PAC" tool.

As to AT screen reader. Make NVDA your "go to" tool. Open source, Free, & the reason that JAWS has had improvements over the last several years (competition does have an impact - sometimes).

Be well...

• 4. Re: Tagging unmarked links causes tagged annotations error for all other links in document - HELP!
                JMcCu Level 1

Thanks CtDave!

Your recommendations are a HUGE help. I'll check out those resources today and access NVDA. It's funny I hadn't been recommended to use it in the past. I'm not sure my friends with sight issues are aware of it - I'll have to mention it to them!

Thank you again,

Jess