14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 8:44 AM by ChristianMo

Backup Catalog etc.

ChristianMo

Hello.

I tried Lightroom CC for 30 days and then I bought Lightroom some days ago. Because I wanted to use Lightroom without the Creative Cloud and deinstalled the Trialversion and reinstalled the Version from the dvd. I saved my catalog and thought that all edited pictures will be saved so that I can undo and redo changes. But after importing my catalog only the pictures are there, but not the editing?

What do I have to do that I get my changes I had done or what did went wrong?

greeting. Christian

• 1. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
          dj_paige Level 9

You should not have imported the photos again. That is a mistake.

You need to find the catalog file that you were using in the trial version. It is on your hard disk somewhere, the name ends with .LCRCAT, and it is not the new catalog file that you have created since you installed the licensed version of Lightroom software.

When you find it, you double-click on it to open it and your edits will be there.

• 2. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
            Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi ChristianMo,

Please check the default location where the actual catalog get saved and that's a Picture folder << Lightroom.

Try and check all catalogs you have on the machine.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 3. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
              ChristianMo Level 1

sorry for the misunderstanding. I imported the catalog: "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat"

• 4. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                dj_paige Level 9

So you used the command File->Import from Another Catalog? Yes or no?

Is it possible you imported the wrong catalog, that perhaps you have (accidentally?) created multiple catalogs? What happens if you use your operating system's search feature to locate all files whose name ends with .LRCAT, and open each one of them?

• 5. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                  ChristianMo Level 1

I used File > open catalog. But it seems that Lightroom didnt save the last Folder I added to the catalog. Sadly this folder was the one which are worked on the last days But I got the exported pictures.

But I dont understand why Lightroom didn't save this Folder in my catalog.

• 6. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                    dj_paige Level 9

Repeating my previous question:

What happens if you use your operating system's search feature to locate all files whose name ends with .LRCAT, and open each one of them?

• 7. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                      ChristianMo Level 1

Sorry ... I haven't found anything else. That was my catalog and also with the newest date. But for any reason he didnt save the mentioned Folder

• 8. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                        dj_paige Level 9

So let me make sure I understand the words you are using

When you said "I haven't found anything else", does that mean that your operating system's search feature didn't find any other .LRCAT files? Or does that mean you looked with your own eyeballs in a bunch of different folders and you didn't find it?

• 9. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                          ChristianMo Level 1

sure I used the search function

• 10. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What can you see when you go to File>Open recent now??

What is in the Pictures>Lightroom Folder on your HD??

• 11. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the version of Lightroom that you installed from the DVD was Lightroom 6, then you should have been able to open the catalog that you used with the trial version and just continued with your work. You should have seen all of the previous work that you had done using that catalog.

As a terminology clarification, you do not "import" a catalog. You open a catalog. So the terminology you used can cause confusion. The bottom line is that if you installed Lightroom 6 from the DVD, and then opened the catalog that was created with the Lightroom trial version (no importing involved) then all of your work should have been intact. So is that what you did?

• 12. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                                ChristianMo Level 1

File > Open recent now just shows me the catalog I am using and the empty catalog which was created with the first start of Lightroom.

First I had my catalog in C:/user/pictures/lightroom ... after the deinstallation I changed it to my pictures folder on D:. There I have all my pictures ...

Sorry for that confusion. I didnt import the catalog ... I opened it. But I changed the location of my catalog after deinstalling lightroom ... but this shouldnt cause Problems or? So I think I did it the right way ... but something went wrong or I did a mistake with the catalog.

• 13. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While you were using the trial version, did you create a backup at any point? You might try restoring a backup if you did.

• 14. Re: Backup Catalog etc.
                                    ChristianMo Level 1

I did it, but the changes arent saved, too.

It is very strange. I made a Photobook in November and therefore I edited my pictures, exported them to another location and added these pictures to the photobook. At the beginning of december I made my Backup, but just the orignal pictures are in the library without the changes...so same problem