7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 11:23 AM by Themis_37

SSD on old Quad Core Workstation

Themis_37 Level 1

Hello everyone

I have an old quad core workstation (Quad Core Q9300 CPU) with only 8 Gbs of RAM and a GTS 450 graphics card on my studio. I use it to pre-edit footage. Its internal storage is consisted of separate SATA II drives at 7,200 rpm that host the video material (not raid.) I most often work with mts file types and material from DSLRs (H.264). My motherboard is an ASUS P5K 64 WS, that has 2 free PCI xpress slots (I think they are SATA 1). If I add a SATA 2 or 3 controller in one of them and create a RAID stripe with 2 Samsung SSD Pro drives, will I get better performance regarding response speed and scrubbing on the timeline  with PPRO CC 2014.1? Right now, even at 1/4 playback resolution, performance is rather poor, with jerky playback, especially with MTS 28Mbps and DSLR mov files. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
          cc_merchant Level 4

Don't waste any money on this dinosaur. Save for a new system.

• 2. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
            Themis_37 Level 1

Not an option, or will... This "dinosaur" does a specific job and practically saves me time. It's not my main workstation. I need an opinion from someone who knows on whether a few bucks can make it work faster. Please, no more suggestions on new systems, only info on what I'm asking...

• 3. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
              cc_merchant Level 4

"Any ideas?"

The CPU and memory will remain the main bottleneck. Thus, get rid of that dinosaur. Just one idea you asked for ... 

• 4. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
                Themis_37 Level 1

What I asked was a comparison in disk performance, not a suggestion for a new workstation... In this particular "dinosaur", as you call it, I recently switched to a cheap SSD as my OS disk and saw great improvement regarding speed of boot and software response. I can't help but wonder how much I would gain if I spend a few bucks on a couple of SSDs instead of several thousands on a new workstation that I might not get back anytime soon... If you feel you can contribute on this, you're welcome to do it but please provide specific information, not advice on something I already know. I used  Blackmagic's Speedtest utility and the SSD, even on this workstation, is almost 3 times faster. A RAID would be much faster I think. Info please on how much better compared to the current situation, NOT suggestions for a new PC...

• 5. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I very highly doubt it will result in a noticeable difference.  Save your money so that when you are ready to replace it you will have some money "in the bank."

CPU speed, number of cores, and memory are your bottlenecks.

• 6. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
                    justinc73249883 Level 1

[quote]I can't help but wonder how much I would gain if I spend a few bucks on a couple of SSDs[/quote]

Try it and see. At least if the results prove disappointing you'll have a couple of hard drives to put towards a new, modern system.

• 7. Re: SSD on old Quad Core Workstation
                      Themis_37 Level 1

With no disrespect to the previous replies, finally one with some perspective Thanks, Justin... I did some testing with the existing SSD - the one hosting the OS - and the difference regarding speed is anything but unnoticeable. I'm pretty sure an SSD RAID on an internal controller would make a difference even with a bottleneck from the CPU and RAM and that's all I need. As there's no way to actually calculate how much would I gain from this, it seems a test will do the job. As I said, this is not my main workstation. It's a second, older PC I had, that often does some encoding or allows for a first cut of material. I just thought it could be more useful if I fed it with faster disks...