3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2015 8:21 AM by whsprague

Do I have to re-size stills in PE12 and 13? This means I cannot properly share a catalogue with PS

Chris@Badgers Level 1

Hi I believe it is essential to re-size still pics down to import into Premiere Elements 12 .(I make videos which are a mixture of stills and video clips, all from same camera.) However this resizing makes the concept of sharing a catalogue between the two products as useless, as I have to create the album of pics to use in my video in Photoshop and then" Export To Folder" and change resolution. Then import folder into PE.  All a bit messy. Is there a better way? ( don't really want two catalogues, one full res, one low res.) Is this still true in latest version? Chris

• 2. Re: Do I have to re-size stills in PE12 and 13? This means I cannot properly share a catalogue with PS
          Chris@Badgers Level 1

Hi Bob Thanks for quick reply. Yes could do this , but we have about 20,000 pics, and it just seems a bit messy and inefficient to do it this way. I was wondering whether I was missing something obvious in how to do this and whether somebody had a more elegant way of doing it. Chris

• 3. Re: Do I have to re-size stills in PE12 and 13? This means I cannot properly share a catalogue with PS
            whsprague Level 4

Chris@Badgers wrote:

Hi I believe it is essential to re-size still pics down to import into Premiere Elements 12 .(I make videos which are a mixture of stills and video clips, all from same camera.) .....

Chris,

A couple years ago I saw an update notice for Premier Elements on my computer and watched it process.  I was surprised to see that the update was ACR.  I thought thought ACR was for photos, not videos.  Not knowing better, I made a slide show with some RAW image files.  Reading on this very forum suggested I couldn't do what I did.  Trying to make a point, I made a "slideshow" type video in Premier Elements with 100 RAW images expecting my computer to crash as promised by a couple of the gurus here.  It wasn't a very good slide show but nothing crashed.

Thinking there must be a reason for it, I used Lightroom to export the 100 RAW images to re-sized JPEGS and made the slideshow video over again.  I could not see or feel any difference.

For awhile, I would offer my opinion that re-sizing is unnecessary whenever the topic came up.  The answer was always that re-sizing is important and has to be done.  It made sense to stop offering my opinion!

I continue to make video projects with a mix of clips, RAWs and JPEGs from two different cameras and don't bother with re-sizing.  Premier Elements does not seem to care if I do or don't.