4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 5:35 AM by rob day

When uploading jpg to shared site colors are muted

laceyh91810348

I have created an e-newsletter header in InDesign and saved it as a jpeg. The colors are RGB. When I upload the file to Box.com (file-sharing site) the colors are muted. How can I fix this?

• 1. Re: When uploading jpg to shared site colors are muted
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Did you check Embed color profile in the Export jpg dialog?

ID Export jpg.png

• 2. Re: When uploading jpg to shared site colors are muted
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

What is your working RGB color space?

Do you work with sRGB?

Many browsers understand no other color space.

• 3. Re: When uploading jpg to shared site colors are muted
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The RGB working space doesn't seem to have any effect on this.

My RGB working space is set to Adobe RGB, and I exported a page with an image without checking Embed color profile,

The jpg came out untagged (no profile), and as expected with untagged images, it displays over saturated in web browsers.

So it's kind of a mystery why the OP is seeing it with muted colors - which would happen if the image was in Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.

laceyh91810348 - in what application are you seeing the muted colors?

• 4. Re: When uploading jpg to shared site colors are muted
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So it's kind of a mystery why the OP is seeing it with muted colors - which would happen if the image was in Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.

I would expect an RGB image with an sRGB assignment to display less saturated than the same image with ProPhoto or AdobeRGB assigned (they both have a larger gamut). So here's a duplicate RGB image with ProPhoto and sRGB  assigned in Photoshop:

Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 8.01.54 AM.png

The current major desktop browsers, at least on OSX, honor embedded profiles and if there's no profile the system's monitor profile is used. Here's the same JPEG image with different assignments displaying in Chrome:

Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 8.10.54 AM.png

Lacey is using a web service so I'm guessing any embedded profiles get stripped on the upload, so as Willy suggests working with sRGB as the assigned RGB profile is the best approach. It's the document's assigned RGB profile (Edit>Assign Profiles...) and not the Color Settings' Working RGB profile that color manages the ID RGB colors—the working and assigned profile could be different.

I don't think there are any mobile devices with OS/browser color management.