31 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 11:07 AM by BARatcliffe

rotate video cuts off my head! : (

BARatcliffe Level 1

I'm puzzled. I've already made a video which was taken "portrait" orientation, instead of the "landscape" (the usual mode.)  During editing, I had to rotate each clip which was done easily. 

Now I'm back to do more editing with new footage, but  the same camera, same orientation, same everything.  But no!--when I rotate 90 degrees to the right (just as I did before) the video now cuts off the top of the image.  That's where my head is--MOST distressing!

Anybody  know what I'm doing wrong?  I've enjoyed my head for so many years, it would be a shame to lose it now : )

headless in Fresno,

Bruce Ratcliffe

• 1. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce Ratcliffe

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

1. Right click one of the problem Timeline clips and from the pop up menu note if there is a check mark next to Scale to Frame Size.

Also, look under Edit Menu/Preferences/General to determine if there is a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

2. What is your project preset? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings from Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if those fields look grayed out).

3. What are the properties of the new video files that you have imported and had head removals? What are the properties of the old video files that you had imported into the project before the save close reopen of the project? Are the new imports the only one having this cut off problem? If you import a new video and a video from an OK project, are both now not OK?

Please consider, and supply details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
            BARatcliffe Level 1

Sorry--I should have included the version (Premiere Elements 12) and I'm running Windows 7

• 3. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
              A.T. Romano Level 7

baratcliffe

Thanks for the follow up.

With the information requested, we should be able to figure out what happened in the workflow so that you ended up losing part of the image.

Looking forward to the rest of your details as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

Thanks in advance for your help.  By your questions, it is obvious you REALLY know your stuff!

I'll answer your questions  IN CAPITALS by the numbers you give:

1. Right click one of the problem Timeline clips and from the pop up menu note if there is a check mark next to Scale to Frame Size.  THERE IS NO SCALE TO FRAMESIZE OPTION.  JUST CUT/ COPY/DELETE & CLOSE GAP/ DELETE AUDIO / FADE / (SMART FIX) / (APPLY DEFAULT TRANSISTIONS) / AND ROTATE

Also, look under Edit Menu/Preferences/General to determine if there is a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.  YES IT IS CHECKED.  WHEN I UNCHECKED IT, PROBLEM PERSISTS

2. What is your project preset? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings from Editing Mode: NOT AN OPTION, Timebase,:29.97 FRAMES/SEC Frame Size,: 1440 HORIZONTAL, 1080 VERTICAL,  and Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD ANAMORPHIC 1080 (1.2333)   (even if those fields look grayed out).

3. What are the properties of the new video files that you have imported and had head removals?THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I CAN SEE IN PROPERTIES IS THAT THE OLD (GOOD) VIDEO HAVE A DATA RATE AND TOTAL BIT RATE OF AROUND 9338, AND 9594, AND THE NEW, PROBLEM VIDEOS HAVE NUMBERS FOR THOSE A BIT HIGHER 9I.E. 10676, AND 10932)What are the properties of the old video files that you had imported into the project before the save close reopen of the project? Are the new imports the only one having this cut off problem? If you import a new video and a video from an OK project, are both now not OK?  THE OLD VIDEO FILESK WHEN IMPORTED INTO MY NEW PROJECT, ARE FINE.

VERY PUZZLING!

BRUCE

• 5. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Your wrote that your project preset was 1440 x 1080 HD anamporphic 16:9, but

Quick question...what is the frame size of the problem video in the present project - 1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second or something else?

Please give the following a look at

a. Go to the Expert workspace and important your old and new files into a new project, using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

b. Right click the thumbnails for each in Project Assets, select Properties

c. Then tell us what the readings are for each for Frame Size and Frame Rate and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

Thanks

ATR

• 6. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                    BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

AIE!  With your expert guidance I was able to walk through all the steps

you indicated and got the goods:

FRAME (IMAGE) SIZE    FRAME RATE    PIXEL

ASPECT RATIO

good (old) video       1440X1080            29.97 1.3333

bad (new) video         1440x1080            29.97 1.3333

The only discrepancy between your directions and what I could do is that

I couldn't find a  "FRAME SIZE" , but could find a "IMAGE SIZE", as you

can see in the table above

In other words, there is no difference between the good old video and

the bad new video that cuts off my head when I rotate 90 degrees right.

Sorry this is proving intractable : (

Bruce

• 7. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the information. Great job putting it together.

In the spirit of never give up.....

What is not making it easy is your report of both good and not so good images having the same resolution.

Otherwise, I could chalk this up to arranging a 1080 x 1920 image into a 1920 x 1080 space or vice versa.

Is there any chance that you could send a sample of each (good and not so good) via a shareable link from Google Drive or Dropbox with the necessary permissions  for viewing/downloading from here?

1. Given you start with 1080 x 1440 hd anamorphic 16:9

Head up and feet down in that portrait oriented look.

2. When you get that to the computer hard drive, it is still looking like "1"?

3. When you get the image into Premiere Elements Editor Timeline, what are you looking at

a. Your image in a 1920 x 1080 space  with large black border to the right and left of the image in the middle presenting head up and feet down

or

b. Your image in a 1920 x 1080 space with head to the right and feet to the left in a landscape view

or

c. Other

4. What are you seeing when you apply Rotate Right to what you are seeing?

Please consider. I will supply any supplemental information and how to as you request.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                        BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

I like your never-give-up attitude!

To add a bit of further mystery, in an idle moment, I tried opening GOV 

(Good Old Video) and BNV with Windows Movie Maker.  The right rotation

works perfectly in both cases!  --NO CUT OFF HEADS!

I have put a sample GOV and BNV in my Dropbox folder, but now how can I

get it to YOU?

Bru' (rhymes)

• 9. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the follow up.

I am not sure how to set up for Dropbox to get the shareable link to post in your thread. The key is to set it up so that the privileges are written so that it can be opened here rather than us signing up for Dropbox.

I can tell you how to send it by Google Drive. Have you used that?

But, check out the following to see if this is the information that you need for the Dropbox way.

Start sharing with Dropbox (Dropbox Help Center)

See "2. Send a Link" in the link above.

My curiosity is great on what is happening with your losses in the new images. So, I am looking forward to working with the actual files that you are working with on this.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 10. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                            BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear AT,

I've put the two files (00022 and 00038 into a dropbox folder (ATR) and

sent it to your email address,

(jive-1946422777-3tpua-2-4yu38@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com).  I

have used Google Drive before, but somehow, the file was unviewable at

the other end (GD changed its formatting, perhaps...?

Hope this works.

Bruce

• 11. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Good morning. Thanks for the follow up. Please reconsider how to for sending the shareable link from DropBox.

I am not getting the samples via the route that you gave in post 10.

If you cannot use any other DropBox settings, then please reconsider Google Drive.

1. Click on Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More   and click on Go To Google Drive

2. Click on the red New button, then File Upload. Browse to and select the video for sending.

3. Right click the video thumbnail that is placed in the Google Drive view of thumbnails and click on Share in the drop down menu.

4. In the "Share with others" dialog that pops up, click on "Get Shareable Link".

5. Under "Anyone with link can view" in the dialog, copy the link shown and paste that link in your thread reply.

Have you been there and done that?

ATR

• 12. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR

Here's the copied link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DR1wLHZXhgeHJKenJrNTVxd2c/view?usp=sharing

I did this just now (9:12 am, Thursday).

Bruce

PS  Man-o-man, am I learning a lot.  You've been a great teacher!

• 13. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                  BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

I just tried a different path for sharing on Dropbox.  the file meant

for you is GOVBNV (Good Old Video Bad New Video).  Here's hoping either

Dropbox of Google Drive does its job!

Bruce

• 14. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the replies. But, no success yet with the sendings.

You appear to have sent what looks like a Notepad or WordPad document for the Premiere Elements project file (.prel), not a sample of video that you recorded in Portrait orientation and which is what I would like you to send...one that is presenting in Premiere Elements as expected and one that is not.

That particular video should be on your hard drive at the save designation that you set for it...it will have a video file extension like .mov, .mp4, .mts 

If you go through the Google Drive routine, you would browse to that file and put it in the path given to get the shareable link that you post in your reply.

Please consider and then we will decide what next. If you need supplemental information on this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes for the new year.

ATR

• 15. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                      BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR

I think this may be what happened before when I sent it to one of my

students on google drive, and HE couldn't open it either, surmised that

Google must have encoded it, or something.  Well,  I think the problem

may be that I am shooting the video with a SONY camera, which makes

AVCHD video files.  I went and converted both the 0026 and the 0038

AVCHD video   files to Windows Movie maker (WMV). and have uploaded both

the Google Derive and Dropbox if you would care to see if they are

open-able.  (I did test the wmv versions with Premiere Elements 12 and

the 0026 does rotate fine (as always) and the 0038 does NOT rotate

correctly, as has been the problem all along.)

hoping this may be the answer...,

Bruce

• 16. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks again for the follow ups.

Did you post the shareable links for the 0026 and 0038 files that you just created? I am not seeing them in your reply here in your thread.

If you have not already, please consider putting 0026 and 0038 files on your computer desktop and then browsing to them in Google Drive to get the shareable links to post in your thread. You should have no problem doing that for the H.264.mov file.

Here is an example....

2015 to 2016.mov - Google Drive

I created that file in Premiere Elements and saved it to Documents on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. I got the file into Google Drive from there as I have already described. Please give this another look or let me know what happened to 0026 and 0038.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...the moment of truth...After posting this reply, I will try the Google Drive shareable link in the above to see if it really works.

• 17. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

I just tested the post 16 shareable link - it works to view and it works to download the video shown.

You may see this message (post 17) before you see 16. But, 16 will show up in a few minutes.

Just a web site thing.

ATR

• 18. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                            BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

Your  perseverance* is incredible!

I've taken a screen shot of my google drive page:  (text of my message

continued below. . . )

What it shows is that I have uploaded both 00026 and 00038 videos, in

both *.MTS (the Sony format it had from the camera I took it with) and

*. WMV (Windows Movie maker, the format I converted it to, in case the

Sony MTS format is unreadable...)  In both formats, Premiere Elements

CAN rotate the 00026 file correctly and can NOT rotate the 00038 file

without cutting off my head.  I'm a bit puzzled that you seem to

indicate you can't open the clips I've put on Google Drive.  I DID do as

you suggest, and put the MTS versions on my desktop, and the uploaded

them to My Drive.  If this still doesn't work, could I send you the

files as attachments to an email?

With consternation AND hope,

Bruce

• One of my favorite "never give up" quotes:

BY PERSEVERANCE THE SNAIL REACHED THE ARK.

• 19. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the follow up, but the missing link to success in sending 0026 and 0038 seems to be the missing shareable links.

There are no Google Drive shareable links appearing with your reply. Where are these links going after you copy them from the Google Drive workspace? Once you have them copied, you should be pasting them into your reply to which you will click "Add Reply" to get that reply with data inserted into your thread.

Are you doing all this from an email notification? If that is the case, try coming directly to the thread using

Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (

which is the direct link to your thread that we are in now.

Bringing your file into Google Drive is 1/2 the task. The other half is getting the file's shareable link which you copy/paste into your forum reply.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

I think I finally got it.  My keystroke sequence is:

1.  Open My Drive in Google Drive

2.  Click on the video clip want you to be able to see.

3.  Right click

4. Click on "Share"

5.  Change  "Anyone with the link can read" to "Anyone with the link can edit".

6.  copy the link directly below the "Anyone..." line

7. Click on Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : ( from your most recent post to me

8.  Click on Reply

9.  Paste the copied link into my reply.  It changes in a second from a long string of numbers and letter to 00026.MTS - Google Drive

10. DONE!  (I hope.)

Bruce

00038.MTS - Google Drive

00038.wmv - Google Drive

00026.MTS - Google Drive

00026.MTS - Google Drive

• 23. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Can you hear me applauding your success from here? I just saw your replies, have downloaded the files, and am about to see what this all looks like with my Premiere Elements and your files.

Great job. Thanks for staying with this.

It is about 10:30 pm where I am. I should have the results before midnight, probably within the hour.

To be continued....

ATR

• 24. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                    BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR

You are a FANTASTIC teacher!  (and this is coming from a veteran of 40

years in the classroom).  I think all the thanks "for staying with this"

must go to YOU, not me.  If you are 2 time zones ahead of me,   I'm

wondering if you are experiencing any of the extreme weather bedeviling

some areas.  If so, I hope the electricity doesn't go out in your house!

Bruce

• 25. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

I think I have got the reason for the lost head. You had everything the same in 0026 and 0038 except...I believe that you recorded  the good and bad in portrait orientation with different distances from the person speaking (or closer ups). Consequently, in portrait orientation, there is more wall in the frame above the speaker's head in 0026 than there is in 0038.

With the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project, you are going to get a 1920 x 1080 space (landscape) in the Edit area monitor. So, when you rotate the portrait oriented 0026 and 0038 Rotate Right, you are going to lose sight of content going from 1080 x 1920 to 1920 x 1080.

Compare...0026 portrait and all that wall space above the speaker's head in the 1080 x 1920 display (note the bounding box fit)

heads1.JPG

with 0026 portrait Rotate Right and with the not seen portions top and bottom...(note the bounding box fit)

you have lost sight of frame content at top and bottom....but you had room to spare at the top for the speak not lose his head.

heads 2.JPG

Now let us look at the same thing for the no so good 0038 (the 1080 x 1920 display)

head3.JPG

with the Rotate Right

head4.JPG

Solutions

If you do not want to redo the recordings, just click and drag the 0038 image on screen (in bounding box) down to drag the head into view, but you are going to move bottom content out of view. So, then scale the image best you can to get everything in.....

heads5.JPG

Please consider, and let me know if the above explains your results and gives a possible way to salvage what you recently recorded.

ATR

• 26. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

I was busy putting together what I think is the explanation and possible solution for you losing sight of frame content when you rotate (Right 90) portrait oriented photos - go and not so good.

I left Edit Menu/Preferences/General and Default Scale to Frame Size enabled throughout the process. But, I did the necessary scaling as indicated in the Edit area monitor with the image bounding box.

No extreme weather conditions here, so electricity OK for computing and Premiere Elements communications.

Best wishes

ATR

• 27. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                          BARatcliffe Level 1

Dear ATR,

I'm a teacher with 4 decades of classroom experience (and hoping for 2 more--I'm only 65! : ).  My specialty is science/student projects, as I believe lasting learning is far greater when kids are DOING things, solving problems employing courses of action they choose, rather than when kids are memorizing things for the upcoming Scantron (after which the memory banks are cleared to make room for the next set of useless-but-for-passing-the-next-test information.  (Is my prejudice showing...?)   I am expert and rating kids on the spectrum from extreme extrinsic motivation (parental pressure, college applications) to extreme intrinsic motivation (a love of learning and taking on challenges for the sheer joy of it).

My experience  with you, ATR, tells me that you are in the 99th percentile of intrinsic motivation.  It was wonderful watching you never giving up on the way to solving my video problem (and thanking ME or hanging in there, when YOU were the hanger-inner that had no motivation for doing so). I, of course, had plenty of intrinsic motivation--it was MY problem.  For you?--the motivation had to be intrinsic; you love solving problems.  I count myself very fortunate that you are the person who (randomly) picked up my problem to work on, so many thread messages ago...

With great respect and gratitude for solving a problem that seemed, at many turns, to be impossible,

Bruce

• 28. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thank you for your kind words and for exploring the suggestions as we progressed in the sharing and learning to a Premiere Elements explanation/answer.

Your issue proved challenging and very interesting.

Best wishes for the new year and always.

ATR

• 29. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                              BARatcliffe Level 1

You are most welcome, ATR.  I'd be curious to know a bit more about why

you are so marvelously intrinsically motivated to work on these

problems.  To start the exchange, here's a picture of me and my students

(the ones I'm so good at appraising)

Bruce

• 30. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Over the years, I have opted to be helpful in Premiere Elements troubleshooting forum environments, but phantom like otherwise under ATR.

Troubleshooting is the focus and not me. Consequently, I remain just ATR.

Best wishes

ATR

• 31. Re: rotate video cuts off my head! : (
                                                                  BARatcliffe Level 1

i FIND DELIGHT IN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT TWO  PEOPLE WITH ;POLAR OPPOSITE

TAKES ON PRIVACY (ME:  TOTAL EGOTISTICAL SHOWOFF, AS SOME EFFECTIVE

TEACHERS ARE, YOU:  TOTALLY PRIVATE, ASKING NO PRAISE, OR RECOGNITION

FOR GREAT SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY) WERE ABLE TO JOIN FORCES TO SOLVE A

(TO THE EXTREME EXTROVERT) PRESSING PROBLEM : )

bRUCE