12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2016 1:44 PM by MobileDeveloperCK

Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?

trishebear Level 1

Hi, I need to transfer PDF files to iPad 3 3rd gen.  Tried connecting devices via USB ports, but wouldn't communicate.  Thanks for ideas,  Trish

• 1. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
          RahulTyagi_ Adobe Employee

Hi Trish,

So you are unable to connect your iPad to your system via iTunes?

You can upload files at cloud.acrobat.com and then download them from Document cloud in your Acrobat app on iPad.

Regards,
          Rahul

• 2. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
            trishebear Level 1

Rahul, do I need an Acrobat app on iPad before?  $?  Thanks, TB 

• 3. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
              MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi trishebear,

Please take a look at the second section titled "How to transfer PDF documents from your computer to your iPad/iPhone" in the following FAQ document.

How to backup and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes

Hope this helps.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

• 4. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
                trishebear Level 1

Hi again, Apologize for delay in reply.  I got as far as step 5, drag & drop PDF into iTunes Book Library.  I got 2 PDFs into PDF file actually, but got stuck there.  On computer PDF were in PDF file in iTunes, but when I connected iPad & clicked on iPad icon in iTunes couldn't find them (#6).  Got stuck after that, tried to figure out what I'd done wrong, but couldn't.  Will keep trying though.  Also, I couldn't find where to mark you reply as correct.  Thanks for helping though, Trish

• 5. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?

Hi Trish,

Let's go over the steps in the document (How to back up and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes) together to figure out where you are stuck.

How to transfer PDF documents from your computer to your iPad/iPhone

1. Connect your iPad/iPhone to your Mac/Windows computer using the cable.
                  2. Launch iTunes (if it does not open automatically).
                  3. Click the iPad/iPhone button.
                  4. In the screen showing your iOS device information, click the Apps tab.  (See the first two screenshots in this document.)
                  5. Scroll down to the File Sharing section near the bottom of the iTunes window.  If you do not see the File Sharing section, maximize the iTunes window.
                  6. Select Adobe Acrobat in the Apps section (the left side of the File Sharing section).
                  7. Click the Add... button.
                  8. Select the PDF documents that you want to copy to your iPad/iPhone.
                  9. Click the Add button in the dialog. WARNING: Do not unplug the cable while documents are being transferred.

Here are the screenshots.  Please tap/click each image to enlarge it.

iTunes1.png

FileSharing2.png

Does this help?  If not, please let me know the step that you are confused about.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
                    trishebear Level 1

MobileDevCK,  the second 'Jive-file share didn't come thru'.  But not to worry I succeeded in getting most of the PDFs transferred to the iPad (not sure how I did it, but perseverance must have helped.)  I tried single transfer and batch transfer, and all but 5 are now included in ' My Books' on the iPad.  Why those 5 wouldn't sync I couldn't figure out.  I could open them in the PC as well as in iTunes, but not iPad.  They are in iPad, but they will not open.  A box comes on saying they can not be opened and each has a different reference number.  They are exactly like another group which did work just fine.  They are level 2 of a series of tutorials for editing, but the names are a bit different.  I couldn't see how that would matter, so changed the name on the first lesson to match the names in level 1 series, but they still wouldn't sync.  Hopefully your guess is better than mine.  Very much appreciate you help, Trish    

• 7. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?

Hi Trish,

A box comes on saying they can not be opened and each has a different reference number

Sorry, it's not clear what the problem is.  But Acrobat Reader for iOS does not show such error message about a reference number.  In addition, Acrobat Reader for iOS does not have a section called "My Books".

Would you tell us the name of the iOS app that you use to open "books" on your iPad?  Is it Acrobat Reader for iOS, Adobe Digital Edition, (Apple) iBooks, or something else?

Based on your answers, I can point you to the right direction.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
                        trishebear Level 1

The PDFs are in Books on the iPad.  They have a blue triangle on right top corner.  I click on them to open - box says: 'Cannot Open Document' below that:  Unable to Open (then the number) "1FBCFB2F1FOF719C", then below that 'OK' to check to get rid of the box, each of the 5 lessons has a different number after the Unable to open.  They are in Adobe Acrobat Reader in my computer & I can open them there, and exactly like those for Level 1 of these Lessons.  Level 1 ones opened fine, but the 5 of Level 2 will not open as described above.  Sorry, I don't know what you mean IOS.  I used your directions to transfer them to the iPad.  They are intermingled with the other books.  The other lessons in PDF form and all the books open on the iPad by clicking the titles.  I do not see any difference in these PDFs so don't know why they won't open on the iPad, but will on the PC using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  I thought the numbers in the box were indicating a reason, but each lesson has a different number, when clicked on to open it.  Possibly I should delete them and retransfer them.  That's an option, right?  Hope I'm not too confusing, but I'm trying to be as specific as I can with my limited knowledge and understanding of these new digital devices.  Thanks, Trish

• 9. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?

Trish,

The PDFs are in Books on the iPad.

Sorry, it is still unclear which app you are using on your iPad.  iBooks, perhaps?  Does the app icon on your iPad look like this?

iBooks.png

You did mention that you have Acrobat Reader on your computer.  Do you also have Acrobat Reader for iOS on your iPad?

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the app displaying the error message about a reference number (so that we can identify the app)?

How to add a screenshot to a forum message from iPad/iPhone

As long as you have backup copies on your computer, you can delete files on your iPad and try transferring them to your iPad again.

Actually, the iTunes app that you are using to transfer files is an Apple product (not an Adobe product).  Sorry, but I am not able to find out the root cause of your file transfer problem.

I'd recommend asking questions in the Apple Support forum.

iTunes - Apple Support

• 10. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
                            trishebear Level 1

Yes the app on the iPad looks like what you sent.  I do have adobe acrobat reader on the PC and both sets of PDFs are the same in it.  I also have adobe acrobat reader on the iPad.  I think I am beginning to understand (I think).  I opened iPad and was using iBooks (the app you indicated), but checked further and yes found the AAReader app, where amazingly the lessons in level two do open.  Also the other PDFs open there as well as in the iBooks app.  Its making more sense to me now (thanks to your perseverance).  Because the other PDFs were intermingled with books in iBooks app and opened I didn't think of using the AAReader app on the iPad.  Why one PDF will open in iBooks and another won't I don't understand either.  But think it is redundant to pursue this if all the PDFs will open in the iPad AAReader app.  I hope this makes sense to you cause I'm not sure I've explained in correct terminology.  I go check you answer 'correct' ASAP.  Thank you for persevering and being precise as I am a new iPad user and don't understand digital stuff much.  I was amazed that I actually got the PDFs from the PC to the iPad at all.  Appreciate your answers very much, Trish

• 11. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?
                              trishebear Level 1

Did it hit 'correct answer' in the proper place?  Thanks, Trish

• 12. Re: Need to transfer PDF file to iPad.  How?

Hi Trish,

Yes, 'correct answer' is correctly marked as such.

Both Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS and Apple iBooks support the PDF file format.  You can open PDF documents in either one of the apps on your iPad.

In Acrobat Reader for iOS, the transferred PDF documents on your iPad will appear in the Local section first.

SourSwitcher_iPad.png

Here are some FAQ documents for Acrobat Reader for iOS to get you started.

How to open PDF documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS (iPad version)

How to manage files in Adobe Acrobat Reader for iOS

How to backup and restore PDF documents on iPad/iPhone using iTunes  (You've already seen this document.)

Lastly, please make sure that you have backup copies of the PDF documents on your computer or external disk so that you won't lose them accidentally.

Please feel free to post new questions regarding Acrobat Reader for iOS or PDF to the mobile forum:  CLOSED Reader/Acrobat DC for mobile (Read Only)

We'd be happy to help!