11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 5:32 PM by A.T. Romano

Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer

Dos-Man

I have just installed Premiere Elements 14 on a trial basis. When I import my MPEG2 video clips (.mpg), the thumbnails show up in Organizer as gray blobs. Trying to play them results in an error message "The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compresser/decompresser (codec) installed." However, within Premiere Elements, when I click on Add Media and select Elements Organizer, the same clips have real thumbnails and I am able to play the video by double-clicking. Obviously the needed codec is there. Any ideas on how to get them to show up in Organizer?

The original source for these clips was DVI tape, and they were converted to MPEG2 by Pinnacle Studio.

I also have more recent AVCHD video that shows up fine in Organizer.

• 1. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dos-Man

What computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 14?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer?

What happens if you right click the Elements Organizer thumbnail and select Update Thumbnail from the menu that appears?

When these MPEG2.mpg files were created in Pinnacle Studio, did you do any editing of them there before you imported them into Premiere Elements 14?

When you import files into the Premiere Elements 14 Editor, copies are placed automatically in the Elements Organizer 14. If you start by importing the files into Premiere Elements 14, do you find gray thumbnails for them in the Elements Organizer or are the automatically placed thumbnails OK?

Please give more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
            Dos-Man Level 1

I've installed Premiere Elements 14 on two machines now, and both show the same problem. They are both Windows 7 x64. QuickTime is installed.

Selecting Update Thumbnail does nothing. Adding a clip from Premiere Elements gives exactly the same results. It's very strange that Premiere Elements can play it but Organizer cannot.

I have a 4-second (3KB) clip I could upload as an example, but I'm new to this forum and I don't know how to attach an uploaded file.

• 3. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dos-Man

Sorry for the delay. I got detoured and lost sight of your thread.

Could you send the sample as a shareable link from Google Drive? I have written about the details for that previous. The following is the copy of the how to (in case you have not used Google Drive before.

1. Click on Google Drive - Cloud Storage & File Backup for Photos, Docs & More   and click on Go To Google Drive

2. Click on the red New button, then File Upload. Browse to and select the video for sending.

3. Right click the video thumbnail that is placed in the Google Drive view of thumbnails and click on Share in the drop down menu.

4. In the "Share with others" dialog that pops up, click on "Get Shareable Link".

5. Under "Anyone with link can view" in the dialog, copy the link shown and paste that link in your thread reply.

Once you get the shareable link, you copy it and paste it into one of your replies in your thread. If you go this route, the link is being opened in a public forum, so do not include anything that would invade your privacy.

We will be watching for your follow up as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Dos-Man

Thanks for sending the problem sample in your Elements Organizer 14 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I had no problems taking that into the Elements Organizer 14/14.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

It presented with a thumbnail containing an image from the video. And, when the thumbnail was double clicked, the video that it represented played back in the Elements Organizer 14 player, both the video and audio components.

Also, no problems importing that same file in Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have QuickTime 7.7.8 installed on the computer. Other players on this computer include VLC player and Media Player Classic.

Since our results differ for the Elements Organizer with your file, I would ask this...have you updated 14 to 14.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? Let us determine if that makes the difference if you have not done that yet.

Adobe Premiere Elements 14.1 update | Adobe Content Corner

As a just in case, please download the file that you just sent, and then try it again in your Elements Organizer 14 before you update to 14.1.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...In MediaInfo your video properties presented as MPEG2.mpg 720 x 480 4:3 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second with scan order Top Field First.

Audio appeared to be MP2 Stereo 48.0 KHz.

• 6. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                  Dos-Man Level 1

I had already updated to 14.1. I have QuickTime 7.7.8 installed and added the other two players you mentioned. I downloaded the clip from Google Drive, and it still doesn't display a thumbnail or play in Organizer. Very weird that it fails on my two machines but not on yours.

I just tried playing the video clip in each of the players, and it works on all of them except QuickTime. Should that work? QuickTime gives Error -2048 "...it is not a file that QuickTime understands"

• 7. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dos-Man

Thanks for the follow up.

I have done my evaluation of your sample using Premiere Elements 14/14.1 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit.

If have QuickTime 7.7.8 installed on that computer.

In Elements Organizer 14/14.1, I see this after I import your sample and double click its thumbnail.

EOMPEG2.jpg

While my Elements Organizer 14/14.1 is fully supporting your file, if I play the file outside of Premiere Elements 14/14.1/Elements Organizer 14/14.1 in QuickTime 7.7.8, I get the same error message that you get when you try for the QuickTime 7.7.8 play back of your MPEG2.mpg. My QuickTime 7.7.8's lack of support for your file does not affect my Elements Organizer 14/14.1's capability to support this file.

So, I would question purchasing the MPEG2 playback component from Apple just to get MPEG2.mpg support for QuickTime 7.7.8 in this instance.

What version of Windows Media Player does your computer have? Mine is version 12. That plays back your MPEG2.mpg file at its hard drive save location.

Does your computer work from Service Pack 1?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                      Dos-Man Level 1

My system is fully up-to-date. I tried some MPEG2 clips from other sources with the same bad result. Any other ideas?

• 9. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dos-Man

Thanks for the follow ups.

We are both working with Premiere Elements/Elements Organizer 14/14.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Let us give the following a try to resolve your MPEG2.mpg Elements Organizer 14/14.1 issue.

a. Create a new catalog, and import your MPEG2.mpg into it. Please see Elements Organizer 14/14.1 File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager and New.

and/or

b. Delete or disable the Elements Organizer 14/14.1 Settings File (psa.prf)

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and, in the Organizer Folder, is the psa.prf file that you delete or disable by renaming it from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Please consider, and let us know the outcome as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                          Dos-Man Level 1

Deleting psa.prf did not help.

I installed on a Windows 10 machine and saw the same problem there. Clearly Premiere Elements expects something that is not included with the installation. I will continue to use Pinnacle Studio.

• 11. Re: Video thumbnail visible in Premiere Elements but not Organizer
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dos-Man

Thank for the update.

Did you create the new Elements Organizer catalog? You do not have to get rid of the one that you are using now. The old one would stay closed, and the new would become the current catalog.

Were the same MPEG2.mpg files the common factor in your troubleshooting on Windows 7 64 bit (2) and Windows 10 64 bit (1)?

To date, do you have any reason to link this to the integrity of the QuickTime install? I know you said that you have Windows Media Player installed on your computer. Do you have Media Player Classic? Home · MPC-HC  You could determine if its brings any codecs into the system. I have it on my computer along with QuickTime 7.7.8, Windows Media Player 12, and VLC Player. I have never downloaded any special codecs for this computer where I am not see problems with the MPEG2.mpg imports into the Elements Organizer 14/14.1.

If you decided case closed and do not want to continue, I understand and still send best wishes for whatever your video editing choice is. But, please remember, if you ever want to revisit Premiere Elements as your video editor, I would appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance in the Premiere Elements Forum. I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way, and I offer the comments for non promotional purposes.

ATR