34 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 12:57 AM by shikamu

Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

shikamu Level 1

I signed up for PS LR CC on 12/22.  Gave them my credit card, downloaded, and installed.  I have been using both for the last few days.  Then suddenly about 5 minutes ago this window popped up.

LR_CC.jpg

Here I am with important work I need to continue and Adobe won't let me use the software I am paying for.  I was very, very reluctant to get on the Adobe CC thing, but finally decided to do it.  Already Adobe has screwed me.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Download and install the Adobe Creative Cloud App. Once installed open it and Sign in using the Adobe ID you used to purchase the subscription plan. Then with that CC app open start LR and PS. Do you still get the Trial pop up?

• 2. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
            Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi shikamu,

Please refer the below link and try the Solution # 2,3,4

Adobe Creative Cloud apps revert to trial mode after CC 2015 update

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 3. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
              shikamu Level 1

Since I signed up to CC several days ago, paid, and downloaded LR CC and PS CC I have only been using the following program to start LR and PS.  Is this what you mean?  Note, that if I go to Preferences it shows that I am logged in.  Note also, that the buttons next to LR and PS say Start Trial.  I have no idea what's going on with that.

LR_CC-2.jpg

• 4. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

Click the Gear icon in the upper right hand corner of that window and select Preferences. Then on the General tab are you signed in with the Adobe ID email address you used to purchase the subscription plan. If you are Sign Out then back in. Make sure you are connected to the internet.

• 5. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                  shikamu Level 1

Mohit, thank you!  That did it.  This raises a big concern for me and probably many other people though.  In order to fix this problem it says I must be connected to the internet to then check for updates to the CC.  What if I am not connected to the internet?  Does that mean Adobe has taken my money, but refuses to allow me to use what I paid for?  There are times when I am away from the internet for some periods of time so this is a VERY BIG DEAL to me if at random times Adobe might disable the software I am paying for.  I hope that Adobe has taken this into account and will NEVER, EVER do this again to me when I can't easily fix it.  Also, why does the message in the window say the trial has ended rather than say I need to check for updates?  If I sound unhappy that would be a correct reading.

Adobe has gone to this rental model.  They have tremendous responsibility not to disable software that has been paid for.  This gives me a horrible feeling though because within only a few days of finally switching to their new model they already screwed me.

• 6. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

You need to connect to the internet once a month for the program to check your subscription status. Other than that you don't need to have the computer that LR is installed on to have internet access.

Every time you start the program and maybe even your computer it check for internet access. If you have it it checks your subscription status. If you are good, you are all paid up, then it doesn't need to check again for 30 days. If you connect to the internet in 20 days it goes through the whole process again and give you 30 day from that time.

Adobe didn't screw you. You had to connect to the internet to download the program and to check for and get updates and new versions. I don't see what the problem is. 99.9999999999999% of people that run this type of software have Always On internet access. And for the .0000000001% all they have to do is log in to some hot spot once a month and they get 30 day of use without any internet connection.

• 7. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                      shikamu Level 1

Thank you for your help, Shootistbond007.  If what you just wrote is correct then that is a big problem though.  What if last night when Adobe said I couldn't use the software was the first day of 29 days without internet?  From what you say that would mean that until I was back on the internet 29 days later that CC wouldn't work, but it would still be within the 30 day window for having internet access.

• 8. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

shikamu wrote:

Thank you for your help, Shootistbond007.  If what you just wrote is correct then that is a big problem though.  What if last night when Adobe said I couldn't use the software was the first day of 29 days without internet?  From what you say that would mean that until I was back on the internet 29 days later that CC wouldn't work, but it would still be within the 30 day window for having internet access.

In that case, IE you know you won't have internet access for 29-30 days just make sure you connect the night before that period starts.

Do you travel to parts of the world that have NO internet access at all, No one No Where has access to the internet? Seems kind of odd to me. Sure there are places like that. but they are becoming far and few.

• 9. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                          shikamu Level 1

Shootistbond007 wrote:

In that case, IE you know you won't have internet access for 29-30 days just make sure you connect the night before that period starts.

Do you travel to parts of the world that have NO internet access at all, No one No Where has access to the internet? Seems kind of odd to me. Sure there are places like that. but they are becoming far and few.

Shootistbond007, I know how on the internet people can easily get into arguments.  I assure you that I do not want to do that.  Just trying to have a calm, rational discussion.  I hope you feel the same and will not escalate this into a fight.  Having said that, let me make some more points and elaboration in response to what you just wrote.

1.  You seem to have overlooked that I am, and was, connected to the internet, yet Adobe disabled my paid for software anyway.  Not only did Adobe disable it, but the message was that my trial (I had paid, this wasn't a trial) had expired.  Not that I needed to check for updates.

2.  I have been using Photoshop and Lightroom for years so I am not a newbie.  I am new to CC though.  I never before had any problems with PS or LR mysteriously and suddenly being disabled.  I also follow what has gone on and know that CC 2015.2 was a debacle so I know that I don't always want to update immediately.  Yet, in this case Adobe mysteriously and suddenly disabled my software and I had to check for updates just to get it working again.  Reminder:  the message said nothing about doing an update, it just said my trial had ended.

3.  I mean absolutely no offense to you by what I write next so please don't be upset.  Clearly you and many people have little awareness of the world not far from where you live.  I get it that you may rarely get far from home or are always in populated areas that always have the internet.  It is not the first time that I have come across someone who is unaware of what most the of the world is like.  There are vast regions of the Earth that have no internet access.  Actually, there are even vast areas of the U.S., Canada, Australia, etc. that also have no internet access.  What happened to me last night could have been at the beginning of a 1-29 day period with no internet access.  It should be easy to use your imagination to come up with many scenarios where that might occur.

Anyway, at the moment I am running again.  How about a week from now though?  I am and was connected to the internet and yet Adobe still disabled my software.

• 10. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                            shikamu Level 1

Well, here we are a few days later and another Adobe disaster.   Today I am trying to start LR CC from the CC app.  This morning it started up fine, but now a few minutes ago nothing happens when I click on the Open button.  When I click on the PS CC button PS CC opens though.  Sheesh.  I am absolutely hating CC!  For so many years I have used LR and PS (non-CC) with no problems of these sorts and now within just a few days of giving my credit card info to Adobe and signing up for CC all I have are problems where Adobe will not allow me to run the software I am paying for.

Mohit, anyone, do you have any new ideas about this problem?  Just in case, I did check for updates in the CC app, but it said I was up to date.

• 11. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                              shikamu Level 1

Here is an update.  Yesterday LR CC suddenly couldn't be started.  I would click on the CC app Open button, but nothing would happen.  Clicking on the PS CC button was still fine though.  I exited the CC app and restarted it.  Still the same.  I rebooted Win8.1, but still the same.  Over a period of an hour or so I tried to start LR CC about a dozen times, but every time I clicked on the Open button nothing happened.  Several times I verified that clicking the Open button for PS CC still worked and it always did.  Then, mysteriously, LR CC started working again.  By the way, my internet was fine the whole time.  I was using it and, as I said, PS CC started up fine.

I suspect this is part of the ongoing Adobe fiasco with CC.  Probably every time you start a CC program it connects to Adobe over the internet and Adobe had a temporary glitch and would not allow LR CC to start.  By switching to this rental model Adobe has taken on many orders of magnitude more responsibility for the welfare of their customers....and is failing big time.  If Adobe wants to have all this control over LR and PS on our computer (that we have paid for) then Adobe has tremendous responsibility to not screw up and disable the software on our computers.  Here in just a couple of weeks of having CC I have been locked out of the use of my software twice!  Both times were when I had finally been able to set aside some time to do some work and both times Adobe locked me out for no reason.  Imagine the many, many professionals using LR and PS for time sensitive work and at the absolute worst times Adobe unexpectedly locks them out of the use of the software they have paid for.

• 12. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                shikamu Level 1

Okay, here we go again.

My internet has been out for the last hour or so and just now I tried to start LR CC.  I get the same pop up window as in my screenshot in the original post.  What????  I thought LR CC would work fine with no internet for 30 days.  It has been only about 20 hours since I was running LR CC with internet access.  Now it won't let me run it.  Sheesh.

How can anyone depend on this LR CC anymore?  I never know when it will decide to lock me out.

• 13. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                  shikamu Level 1

I was searching around and discovered that Thom Hogan has been posting a few times about this Adobe mess too.  Here is his most recent post about the ongoing disaster of Adobe CC update from a couple of days ago:

Adobe “Security" Updates

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/adobe-securit y-updates.html

"For a service that we pay monthly for, Adobe CC has turned into a fiasco. I’m going to now recommend that you never install a CC update until well after the Adobe offers it and you can confirm that it doesn’t have any serious consequences."

• 15. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                    shikamu Level 1

Rajashree, your message is way to cryptic for me.  Since you are STAFF though it must have some important meaning that I am missing.  Would you please elaborate?  Thank you!

• 16. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rajsrhee moved this message thread message from whatever forum it was posted in to the LR forum, or you're being sarcastic out of spite.

My LR CC never starts with the Open button in CC Desktop.  I just use a taskbar shortcut.

Thom Hogan isn't talking about LR CC, he's talking about CC Desktop deleting the first folder off the Mac's hard-drive.  It took 2 days for Adobe to issue an update that fixed this problem.

CC's license detection is complicated and fragile.  If it was simple then it'd be easy for hackers to defeat.  If CC thinks you're on the internet it needs to be live-licensed (my term) instead of using cached credentials.  I believe the credentials are only cached when you log out and log back in not when you reboot but I could be wrong as there's no way to tell how much longer the credentials have and maybe Adobe changes how things work to keep the hackers guessing.

Your issue may be something has gone wrong with the licensing info on your computer seeing as you had a similar issue in Dec 31.

This may have changed, but from my experience in the past, the "internet connection" detection in CC seems more like a network-detection, so if CC can see you're on a network even if it's just one in your house or school it thinks you need to be live-licensed (my term) so if you are on a local network but that local network doesn't connect to Adobe because the internet is down then things won't work.  To use the cached credentials you have to have logged out of and back into CC within the recent past and cannot be connected to any network, even a local one, for it to use your cached credentials, so you might have to disable Wi-Fi and unplug your network cable for CC to think you're not on the internet.  It's possible things work differently, now, since it's been a while since I messed with this sort of issue.

• 17. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                        shikamu Level 1

I was not being sarcastic.  I had no idea what the extremely cryptic (actually, more nonsensical than cryptic) message "Moving to Light room" meant.  How am I supposed to know?  Why not say  "Moving thread to Light room forum" if that is what was meant?  Also, my post was in the Photoshop Lightroom forum already.  I still have old emails from the earlier replies and they show it was in the Photoshop Lightroom forum.

Just Shoot Me up above told me to start LR from the CC app.  Since then I sometimes start it from the app, but often just start LR directly without the app.  This most recent problem was when I started it up directly.  A couple of hours later LR started okay.  Another glitch with the Adobe servers?  I don't know.

I mentioned that I discovered that Thom Hogan had posted more than once about Adobe CC update problems.  I only posted the most recent one I saw.  I didn't say his problem was identical to mine.  The point is that from my experience and his experience and, I suppose, lots of other people's experience there are ongoing, multiple problems.

As for the rest of your post, the real meat.  Thank you.  That may help.  Although I know Adobe cares nothing about what customers such as me think and will probably never even see this thread, I will say again that this rental model seems to have been rushed and here we are quite a ways down the road since it started and Adobe still can't make the CC experience smoother and mostly glitch free.  When my LR CC and PS CC will run I am happy with them.  The very, very, very bad thing though is that I never know when Adobe will decide to not let them run.  And it almost always happens when I am in a hurry and need to use them right then.  I will say though that the one thing that seems to work absolutely glitch free is the monthly charge to my credit card.  Adobe seems to have perfected that end.  Okay, that was sarcasm.

• 18. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

While you started this discussion in the LR forum at the end of December, looking in my e-mails from the last few months, filtering for this subject, and reverse sorting by date, I can see that someone moved the discussion to the Adobe Creative Cloud forum and that's where it was when you'd made your previous comment before Rajshree moved the discussion back to the LR forum:

• 19. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                            shikamu Level 1

One more thing.  For the last 4 or 5 days my Adobe CC app has looked like this screenshot.  It has never changed over these last few days.   I killed it a couple of times and restarted it, but it still looks the same.  And always at 0% so it appears not to be doing anything.  Since signing up for CC it has just been one thing after the other.

Adobe_CC_screenshot.jpg

• 20. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Getting the CC app to correctly update itself seems hit or miss, mostly miss for me. Shut it down or kill it. Go to the adobe website, download the current version and install it.

Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

I don't remember the last time I got the CC app to update itself correctly.

• 21. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                Roland Rick Level 1

JustShootMe, your 99.999999999% Internet access is it only in your dreams. If you are in New York, SF, LA or where ever this may be correct.

But in bible belt, Moab slick rock, Monument Valley, Alps, Himalaya your are more often offline than online.

E.g. if you're in Europe and often in Swiss or Austrian (not Australian) hotels, Internet access is poor, poor and one specially for you poooooooooor.

I shoot 99% outdoor somewhere in the Swiss/Austrian outback and it's mostly needed to make the post production immediately on location.

So, your claim of being 99.999...% connected is simply NOT true. You better assume the opposite for real life.

And by the way: if I pay for something it must be ironclad to run ALWAYS - also if you're offline. What happened to shikamu is simply unacceptable - generally. POINT.

1 person found this helpful
                                                • 22. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                  shikamu Level 1

Beeblebrox64, thank you for adding your experience to this thread.

• 23. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                    shikamu Level 1

It just happened about 10 minutes ago AGAIN.  I am paid up, I am and have been connected to the internet for the last few weeks, I am logged into CC, I had the CC app running yesterday, and this morning I try to start PS CC and got this again.

Adobe_CC_screenshot-2.jpg

• 24. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

Do you have more than one AdobeID you’re using on that computer, perhaps for another product like Elements, perhaps by another user of the computer? 

Normally you have to log out and back in of the CC desktop app, in its Preferences area, if it’s somehow forgotten who you are.

• 25. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                        Roland Rick Level 1

just to ensure myself: with subscription I may used Lr and Ps on two computers, isn't it?

• 26. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

Hi Beeblebrox,

Yes, you can however there should be one computer in use at a time.

Regards,

Mohit

• 27. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                            shikamu Level 1

I just have one Adobe ID.  I also have PSE 9 that I have owned for many years on this computer, but I have never logged on when using it.  I am the only user of the computer.

• 28. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it

Photoshop Element 9 is a standalone application and doesn't require you to login using your Adobe ID. It only requires for the Creative Cloud Application for the activation.

You can Sign-in on two computers at the same time using one Adobe ID, but as I said before that there should be one computer in a use at a time.

Regards,

Mohit

• 29. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                                shikamu Level 1

Thank you, but I was answering the question from ssprengel.

• 30. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                                  shikamu Level 1

Sheesh.  Here we go again.  I use LR everyday.  I often run the CC app to make sure I am logged in.  I used it a few hours ago and it was fine.  Just now I wanted to use it again and while looking at the CC app it suddenly again says I just have the trials.  I went to Preferences and confirmed that I am already logged in.   Here is the screenshot from before, but today is the same.  By the way, even if I was logged off that should not matter.  Supposedly you can be logged off and off the internet for a long period before Adobe does this.  I am logged on, I was logged on, I have been logged on without logging off for a long time (weeks) and yet Adobe suddenly, again, thinks I don't have CC and am just using a trial.  Note, the Adobe charge to my credit card each month is absolutely flawless.  The only piece of Adobe software they have spent time making sure works well.

LR_CC-2.jpg

• 31. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                                    Roland Rick Level 1

Hi all

I have a new "cool" issue concerning the subscription catastrophe.

My test period Ps expired and I tried to subscribe to Ps + Lr for 9.

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/creativecloud/cc/pdfs/cc-availability-m atrix.pdf (I downloaded it) statues, that Adobe CC is available for individuals in Liechtenstein on adobe.com. This is rather normal, because Liechtenstein and Switzerland are the identical economic space.

Now watch, what I got when trying to purchase:

Purchase not possible.jpg

Bingo! One more in the never ending list of subscription imbecility.

I politely asked to extend my testing period until this issue/error has been removed from shop.

Guess what? Yes, exactly: no reply on that yet since hours.

• 32. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                                      shikamu Level 1

Okay, I think I have about reached the end of my rope with CC.   I never know when CC will allow me to run LR and PS.  You can go back through this thread to see the ongoing problems.  I bought a new Windows 10 computer about 6 weeks ago and I have the same problems with it as my other Windows 10 computer.  Before I just had one activation, but now I have two.  No change in the ongoing problems though.  I really, really, really regret signing up for CC.  As I have said before, the only thing that works flawlessly is the charge to my credit card each month.

I still have LR 5.7 that I bought sometime back and used before I signed up for CC.  Is it possible to downgrade my CC catalog to a LR 5.7 catalog?  I want to maintain my development settings, keywords, star ratings, etc.  Some of the photos I developed after I got CC use dehaze and a very few use transform.  I understand those 2 settings will be lost going back to 5.7, but that's okay since they were not all that important to me.  I don't care about PS since I still have PS CS2 and PSE 9.  PS CC has nothing I care about and the only reason I got it was that I could not get only LR CC when I signed up.

I am thinking that I will continue to use 5.7 (converting to DNG if I get a new camera).  For future photos I will consider ACDSee Ultimate or Aftershot Pro.  Anyone here who has switched?  Thoughts?

• 33. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                                        shikamu Level 1

Here is an update.  Starting about a month ago the problem that existed from December 2015 until August 2016 suddenly seems to have gone away.  Nothing on my end has changed.  I suspect Adobe finally discovered a bug in their server side software that was causing this problem and quietly fixed it.  Fingers crossed that the problem stays fixed!

• 34. Re: Signed up for LR CC a few days ago and now says I need to buy it
                                                                          shikamu Level 1

Here is a new update.  Well, things were working fine from about the middle of August until today.  From today though starting LR CC sometimes pops up a window telling me I can start the 7 day trial.  Then at other times today it starts normally.  PS CC has been doing the same thing today.   Both were fine yesterday.  Yes, I am logged in.  I started the CC app to make sure.  I am logged in and even starting LR from the app sometimes results in a window saying I am using the trial.  Once again Adobe seems to be having server problems or glitches or something.  Jeez, I am paying for this stuff every month and Adobe is back to their same old crappy games.   I am, of course, using the latest and greatest LR CC 2015.7.