4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 4:47 PM by robinbeaton

Using Lightroom with an external hard drive?

robinbeaton Level 1

I have my Lightroom catalog and photos stored on an external hard drive. When I try to import photos from my camera card to the Lightroom catalog I get this message 'the lightroom catalog called Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom." I have Lightroom 5.7.1 and am using a Macbook pro. Should I be storing my LR catalogue on my laptop and not the external hard drive?

• 1. Re: Using Lightroom with an external hard drive?
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi robinbeaton,

Greetings!!

Should I be storing my LR catalogue on my laptop and not the external hard drive?

You can store Lightroom catalog on both your Laptop and External Drive.

But storing it on External drive is only useful if you access Lightroom with same catalog on other Computer(s) too.

'the lightroom catalog called Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom.

Did you installed or used Lightroom 6/cc before?

This error shows up when you try to open Lightroom 6/cc catalog in Lightroom 5.

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Using Lightroom with an external hard drive?
            robinbeaton Level 1

Thank you. I was using Lightroom 5.7.1 but have a new camera so that explains my problem, I think. I will upgrade to the monthly subscription for Lr CC. Will my current catalog can be migrated to the new program ?

I want to put LrCC on a Macbook and an iMac and create two catalogs, one for me and one for my partner. If we download photos off the camera to both computers then we should be able to work with those photos independently each in our own catalogs on either computer. That is the goal. Is that possible?

Is there a way to set Lightroom catalogs up so any work I do on my laptop catalog would show up on the other computer in my catalog? We have very limited bandwidth so I will use the Creative Cloud minimally which won't be an issue if I do my back ups to an external hard drive, correct?

Your help is most appreciated.

• 3. Re: Using Lightroom with an external hard drive?
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Yes, you can upload the images from the memory cards to multiple computers and work on the images independently.

Lightroom is designed as a single-user, single-computer system. The easiest way to work with the same catalog on multiple computers is to put the images and the catalog on an external drive and move the drive from computer to computer as needed.