3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 5:28 PM by A.T. Romano

bulk import elements organizer

Boadicah Level 1

I have lots of files to import into Elements organizer.  It takes a long while for the program to gather the files.  then it takes a long while to actually import them.  I don't know how long because it always freezes after a few hours about 10% through.  I have lots of memory.  I am using an iMac with Yosemite 10.10.5.  The new software is Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 and Adobe Premiere Elements 14.

I hope this is not an indication of how working with this software will be.  This should be the easy part.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: bulk import elements organizer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Boadicah

What do these files represent - photos, videos, or a combination of both - formats, file size, duration, etc?

Can you get them all imported into the Elements Organizer 14/14.1 if you do the imports in smaller batches? Are you doing catalog conversion or importing your files from their computer saved location?

Once you get these files imported into the Elements Organizer, is the performance of the Element Organizer slow? Are you getting thumbnails with images for the Elements Organizer imports, can you playback video and audio by clicking on thumbnail of a video import into the Elements Organizer?

You might want to consider posting your thread in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum to take advantage of the specialized Elements Organizer expertise there.

Photoshop Elements

Please consider, supply more details, and let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Best wishes for the new year.

ATR

• 2. Re: bulk import elements organizer
            Boadicah Level 1

Thank you for your reply, ATR.

I was only using the "bulk" import because I was following tutorial directions upon opening the Premiere software the first time.  I have since tossed that idea out.  I have imported a small number of movies from iMovie and photos a few at a time.  I will continue to do that until the library has everything I need in it.

In answer to your question regarding the type of files, I can only guess.  I believe it was every single image of any kind on my computer, moving or stationary, regardless of file extension.  When following the directions, after clicking on "import" and then "bulk", it starts assimilating everything under one folder - "pictures".  It was massive and seemed to be drawing from everywhere on my iMac.

Regarding the few movies I did import (ignoring the "bulk" option), I do not believe the organizer is slow.  I have no frame of reference, though, having never used organizer before.  I did get thumbnails of the movies I specifically imported and they played fine when I clicked on them.

In my opinion, new users should not be instructed to use the "bulk" import option.  It made me want to return the software.

I do really appreciate your quick response, it helps not to feel alone when frustrated with something like this.

• 3. Re: bulk import elements organizer
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Boadicah

Thank you for the follow up and the great news of progress.and for the opportunity to be of assistance. Great job of follow through and stick-to-it-tiveness.

One of the major perks of the forum environment is the learning and sharing. Please never hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification on your Elements workflows.

Have you seen the what Adobe has compiled in its Elements Organizer 14 Help PDF?

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf.

Please update us your progress as your time permits.

ATR