12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 4:45 PM by A.T. Romano

BD disk menue video stretched

mihailc27174737 Level 1

My current project is set to PAL HD 1920 x 1080.

As a basis I have used the slideshow HD disc menu template.

By the way, even if the Project Settings indicate a wide Screen Project, the template Format is 3:4...

I have added a Video Clip as the disk main menue background.

In the preview and on burned disk the Video gets stretched.

I've consulted some Forums, and this problem seems to exists since years with PE.

All other menue templates I tryied exhibit the same wrong behaviour.

It is a Basic capability of PE, I wonder how it got unobserved by Adobe's Quality assurance...

• 1. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are you Project Settings? You'll find them under Edit menu.

• 2. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
            A.T. Romano Level 7

mihailc

I have just written in detail about customizing the Premiere Elements movie menu main menu default video background.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2015/12/pe-default-video-background-for-movie.html

Please give the following details so that I can customize a reply

1. What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

2. What specific movie menu theme or themes? What are the properties of the video that you are trying to use as a replacement background in the movie menu customization area of the program?

3. Project preset - that will determine if the project will be given s, w, or hd version of the theme. Confirm via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

Please consider, and give the details requested.

Thank you.

ATR

Add on (for project preset finding details) after posting original.

• 3. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
              mihailc27174737 Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

thank you for the fast reply!

I’m using a Win 8.1, 64 bit system with PE 14.1, after some years of using PE11.

The project settings are:

The project shall be exported to a blue ray disc.

The videos were shot with a Canon PowerShot S110 camera in HD (1920x2080, 24 frames/sec).

For the BD disc menu background I wanted to use my own clip, covering all the screen surface, but still using the predefined fields of the menu template for movie title and play.

Whatever Adobe menue template I used, replacing the default menu background by browsing to my own clip, when previewing or burning the disc, the video background of the disc menu gets stretched and two horizontal black ribbons on top and bottom of the screen are present.

I also tryied the Entretainment/Broadway theme wiht the same result.

By the way, it is ont obvious, browsing through the Adobe disc menu templates, which features each template supports, e.g. video formats or replacing the background.

Also there is no build log file you can check to verify which disc menu template were used. The project file, .prel is in PE 14.1 no more a XML file as it was in PE 11...

Now to your online article.

The Entretainment/Broadway folder looks on my computer like this:

As you can see, there is no frozen first frame. .jpg or .other...

If I understood well you article, you suggest to avoid changing the disc menue background using the PE standard procedure,Tools/Movie Menu/Adjustements/Menu Background/Browse... but using instead a workaround, changing one of the Adobe disc menue template itself.

I assume, until Adobe corrects the problem with the delivered disc menu templates...

I gave it a try, replacing the broadway_pal_hd_mm_ bg.mpg file with my own clip. As there it was no frozen first frame, I did nothing about it.

The change was reflected in the menu tool, e.g. new video background, original audio:

but in the disc preview the same wrong behaviour was displayed, the video being stretched. And the video does not use the full screen, there are two horizontal black strips:

Resuming:

a.. the Adobe-provided  disc menue templates stretch the user-provided video background, a situation that seems to exists for years, according to user forums...

b.. the proposed workaround does not work, at least not in my configuration

Hope it helps you for further investigating the issue. Please return to me if you need further details.

Best regards,

Mihail C

• 4. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                mihailc27174737 Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

additionally, looking to a older PE 11 project, also full-HD, you could see the Aquarium_pal_s_mm.psd menu template was selected and not the Aquarium_pal_w_mm.psd, as one could expect:

Best regards,

MihailC

• 5. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MihailC

Thank you for the reply.

If you use Photoshop CS5.1 or Photoshop Elements 14 Editor to open the Entertainment/Broadway main menu .psd, you see the background layer which is replaced in action by the video file that you have saved in the theme folder and along with this .psd or which you have applied within the opened project. I am using here the hd version of the menu.

And, I have made visible only the background layer in the Layers Palette of the .psd file.

Photoshop CS5.1

BackgroundImage CS5.1.JPG

Photoshop Elements 14 Editor counterpart

BackgroundPSE14.JPG

The Adobe version uses the Image Size 1440 x 1080 for the HD version of the .psd.

The next phase is the video file in the theme folder.

As I wrote in the reference that I gave you, Adobe uses the video file as

broadway_pal_hd_mm_ bg.mpg

Video part of file

MPEG2.mpg

1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second

Display Aspect Ratio = 16:9

VBR 37.7 Mbps (Max 57.6 Mbps)

Duration = 13.8 seconds

File Size =  64.6 MB

Audio part of file

None

Please confirm what the specifications are for the video that you are trying to use for the video background replacement by either routes detailed already. Is your video background replacement 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second? What is the duration of the file?

To be continued....

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mihailc

Continued from post 5....

The video file being used for replacement in the movie menu customization are of the project....

1. Going all Adobe for Broadway...no background replacement (freeze frame or jpeg et al) in the main menu .psd file and no replacement of Adobe's video file in the theme folder.

Just focus on you applying your video replacement background in the movie menu customization area of the project. For this purpose, I created a special video = H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080 29.97 frames per second, duration 30.30 seconds.

It looked like this in the Premiere Elements Editor section of the program before export to that special file.

special video before export.JPG

export imported into the Premiere Elements Editor Expert workspace Timeline....

specialvideo2.JPG

And, when the H.264.mp4 was used as the video background replacement in Broadway main menu

videoreplacementzz.JPG

And, I see no evidence of stretching in the Movie Menu work space of in the Preview.

videoreplacementpreview.JPG

I do see problems with black borders which I will address next.

To be continued....

ATR

• 7. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mihailc

Also see posts 5 and 6 above....

A minor detour in progression of thought...

You wrote about using the Notepad document of the saved closed project to determine which menu set (s, w, or hd) the program decided to use based presumably on the project preset....

1. With Premiere Elements 11 and 1920 x 1080 project preset...

Theme: Broadway....has .psd files for s, w, and hd and project selects hd set for 1920 x 1080 project

Theme: Aquarium...has .psd files for s and w only....and, in the case of the 1920 x 1080 project, it is selecting the s not the w set. (confirming what you already found on this).

2. With Premiere Elements 14 and 1920 x 1080 project preset...the Notepad document cannot be read (at least by you and me)

But one way around this...14's Broadway theme has the 3 sets - s, w, and hd in the theme folder on the hard drive. Since it is expected that it is using the hd theme because of the hd project preset, confirm by removing the s and w sets from the theme's folder on the hard drive. In the case of Aquarium with only the s and w sets, remove the s version and determine if the theme continues to work the same as when s was available and was selected by the program.

3. The project can be forced to select s, w, or hd program irreguardless of the project preset. We can discuss how to if you have not already done that.

Back to Broadway and the stretched with black borders next.

ATR

• 8. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                        mihailc27174737 Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

lookink at your examples, I see a major diference:

in the Movie Menu/adjustement the Menu Background displays your new video without the two black strips on top and bottom and in a wide format, not 3:4 as in my case...

Did you added a freeze frame .jpg to the disc menu directory? If so, what name do you used for the file?

Looking at old PE 11 projects was just to see if the disc menu template name was stored in the project file...

Best regards,

MihailC

• 9. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mihailc

Thanks for the reply.

As I posted, the starting point for the study was

Going all Adobe for Broadway...no background replacement (freeze frame or jpeg et al) in the main menu .psd file and no replacement of Adobe's video file in the theme folder.

It was just Movie Menu customization area/Adjust Tab/Adjustments/Video or Still and browsing to my video at its hard drive save location in Videos.

Could you post a screenshot of your Movie Menu customization area in the opened Premiere Elements project (theme Broadway) with your own video background being used?

And, also please confirm

(a) your project preset in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (Readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame size, Pixel Aspect Ratio - even if the fields look grayed out)

(b) the properties of the video that you are using as the video background replacement.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                            mihailc27174737 Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

here are the project settings:

The properties of the movie used for the menu background:

The Movie Menu with the Broadway theme before changing the background:

and after adding own video background:

as you can see, the two black strips are present, the display format is 3:4 and in the bottom section, the display is 16:9 but stretched. as the Preview Disc confirms it:

Again, in your screen shots, the Create Movie Menu showed an 16:9 format, and not 3:4 as in my case...

The only thing going wrong is the disc menu, the movie itself is exported correctly on blue ray disc.

Best regards,

Mihail Constantinescu-Fomino

• 11. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                              mihailc27174737 Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

one more detail: these are the new project presets used:

Best regards,

MihailC

• 12. Re: BD disk menue video stretched
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

MihailC

Thanks for the replies.

Your replies are being posted but without the details that you say are supposed to be there.

Please re-evaluate how you are sending the information that is missing.

Are you responding from email notifications? Are any screenshots being sent as jpeg

The specified item was not found.

You might try using the direct link to your thread below

Re: BD disk menue video stretched

and then include the data sending here in one of your replies.

Thank you. Looking forward to working with you on this interesting matter.

ATR