17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 2:09 PM by A.T. Romano

You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?

camera shy again

My file name for the project is: Adobe Premiere Elements auto save\cycle 72 re-do-5.prel.  It's a film on cycling and all though the timeline is .avi  "You Tube" will accept .avi but my file has .prel tacked on the end. How do I change this to be accepted?  When I go to download about half way it comes back with "wrong format".

Thanks Gil

• 1. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

camera shy again

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

What are you trying to do

a. upload your Premiere Elements Timeline content to YouTube using Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature

or

b. exporting your Premiere Elements Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then from there uploading that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

I am not sure what you are doing with an AutoSave file for this purpose. Did your computer crash and you are salvaging the project through the AutoSave?

Important: if you are doing "b", you do not want to upload a file with a .prel file extension.

So, you can right click that AutoSave file at its hard drive save location, select Open With followed by Adobe Premiere Elements (whatever you version is). And, in the project that opens, export that Timeline content to an AVCHD.mp4 file to upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

What is the duration of your Timeline content - over 15 minutes?

Please consider. If you have questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask. But, we do need answers to the above in order to customize a reply for what you want to do.

Best wishes for the new year.

ATR

• 2. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
            camera shy again Level 1

Thank you for your quick response,

Using adobe premiere elements 12.

When I started to upload on "you tube" using the .avi file the uploading time was getting longer instead of shorter.  Also the uploading  time remaining was not moving from "0"

Next I tried going through the feature in my "program" to upload into "you tube' but kept coming back with program too long about   I am registered with "you tube" to upload more than 15 mins.

Please be patient with me, I'm not the swiftest with PC tech. stuff.

Thanks,

Gil

• 3. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

The important matter is that we get your video uploaded to YouTube. And, I will help you to do that.

1. If your Timeline content is over 15 minutes, you cannot upload your Premiere Elements (any version) Timeline to YouTube using the Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature. And, that is true even if you have an extended time account at YouTube. Those extended time YouTube accounts work only when you are doing the uploading at the YouTube web site.

2. If your Timeline content is over 15 minutes, then please do this

a. Use Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 to get an AVCHD.mp4 file that you upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site (using your extended time YouTube account).

3. What is the frame size and frame rate of the .avi file with which you are working?

Please consider the above. And, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if there is anything that needs clarification to accomplish the task.

Have you seen the following from YouTube?

Recommended upload encoding settings (Advanced) - YouTube Help

Best wishes for the new year.

ATR

• 4. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                camera shy again Level 1

Number 1: I understand

#3 What I could find was frame size 720, sample rate 48000hz? horizontal 480, display format 30fps drop frame t/c

#2 opened up "Publish+Share but can't seemed to find the rest of it.your AVCHD. MP4 ETC. file to do the changing.

When I first open up the program I select my project, not a problem but a drop down box ask me where the file" cycle 72"

01 1.avi is [not sure what the 01 l is? I then by-pass this by closing the box and low & behold the program is ready to go on the time line. . I have made a dvd copy works ok.  Thought maybe "you tube" would have taken that.

• 5. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thanks for the reply.

Whenever you get the message "Where is the file _____?" that typically means that you have moved, deleted, or renamed files or folders that you imported into the project. Another possibility is that you have your source files stored on an external hard drive and the external hard drive has malfunctioned (maybe its drive letter changed). When you import files into the project, all you get are copies of the originals which remain on the hard drive save location. But, those copies of the originals in the project need to trace back to the originals where they were when you imported them into the project. In case of the "Where is the file  ______?", you need to know where the files are on the hard drive and point the message asking for the file to the file where you know they are.

YouTube uses a 16:9 player. So, if you send it 4:3, you are going to get black border viewing at YouTube. See the YouTube link I have posted in post 3.

And, you do not want to be sending interlaced video to YouTube.

You say that your .avi is 720 x 480. When it is imported in a Premiere Elements project, Expert workspace Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file in Project Assets - what do you see for pixel aspect ratio as well as that 720 x 480 frames size and frame rate of 30 frames per second? With that information, I can pin point the settings to give you for your export to file destined for upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site. With that pixel aspect ratio, I am looking for whether or not widescreen.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                    camera shy again Level 1

Welcome to the New Year, may you have continuing good health & prosperity.

My project was originally shot on super 8 film  way back in 1972.  I copied it from movie screen to high end camera, yes not as good as film transfer. I'm ok with it.  I thought it would be cool to upload to "you tube" for the "old timers"

It's a little over 17 mins. Most of the footage was shot it southern B.C. and the north wester part of Wash. State.

I'm sorry to be a little slow on the up take with files etc.  I did try at last ditch attempt to download from the dvd direct to "import project" but that didn't work either.

Not really clear about the" interlaced" part?

Right click on "Project Assets" but all it shows is my video segments, doing something wrong, not able to bring out that info. you wanted.

New info:

Frame Rate is 59.94

Frame size 1920h 1080v (1.0000)

Thanks

Gil

• 7. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                      camera shy again Level 1

New info:

Pixel aspect ratio  0.9091

Frame rate  29.97

depth 24 bits

sample size 16 bits

interleave 1:28.99

720x480

4:3 frame size

Gil

• 8. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                        camera shy again Level 1

Just a thought,

Can I change the file name from "cycle 72 re-do-5-4 .prel to a new title giving me the right .avi extention?

Forgot to mention in my last memo it was 10 speed bike racing. I was inspired after seeing a film on racing called "60 cycles" back in the 60's

• 9. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                          camera shy again Level 1

Good news, I was able to find and change the Publish+share presets that you had mentioned and changed all the clips to De-interlace.    Still need to change my extension to .avi from .prel

not sure how to go about it.

Gil

• 10. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

When you have a Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Windows and  you want an export with an .avi file extension, then you go to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI and set Presets = accordingly

AVI can be hard to find in the choices since it is toward the bottom of the list under Publish+Share/Computer/... You will need to use the thin scroll bar to the right of the choice in order to scroll down to AVI. In the morning morning we will discuss the AVI choice.

For now, I would suggest export to file saved to the computer hard drive

AVCHD.mp4

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 NTSC DV Standard

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset set as seen in screenshot

H.264MP4.JPG

The main focus points of my export are

a. not interlaced video

b. frame size 640 x 480 4:3

Please consider. AVI information coming in the morning morning.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                              camera shy again Level 1

Good morning,

All instructions on your last e-mail have been carried out.  Everything seemed to work well.

But I still have the issue with .prel extension before uploading to You Tube.

• 12. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Thanks for the update. Let us clear up the matter of the .prel file and YouTube upload.

The .prel file is the Premiere Elements project file that you have been working in to create the export of its Timeline content

to the 640 x 480 AVCHD.mp4 file which you have saved to the computer hard drive.

It is that 640 x 480 AVCHD.mp4 file that will be uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site, not the project file (.prel) that created it.

Are you OK on that?

Just before you hit Save in the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD area, what did you set as the Save In location for the export that you wanted?

That is where you will find that 640 x 480 AVCHD.mp4 file and upload it from there to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Are you OK with doing that with your extended time account that you already have at YouTube?

Please consider. Sounding like progress is good. Any clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 13. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                                  camera shy again Level 1

OK...."save in location for export file" was in my documents.  The file in You Tube showed "cycle 72 .mp4", looked good.  When I opened the file it began to upload in You Tube, but the uploading stayed at 0 % and time remaining started around 800 and increased from there?  so I cancelled.

• 14. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                                    camera shy again Level 1

More info:

If I right click file in You Tube the" program" begins to play in preview mode......that's a good sign?

Should I click "read only" box when in my document files?

• 15. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

I would leave the file in documents as is for now (no check mark next to read only option).

The upload times at YouTube can vary. So, if you have an upload of more than 15 minutes, I would let it take as much time as it needs. Even after it shows uploaded, you will likely see a processing phase that is going to take even more time.

But getting the video from your computer hard drive save location into the YouTube uploading process at YouTube is major process. Sounding good.

Do you know about the YouTube Video Manager and its area for managing you uploads? More on that next time.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                                        camera shy again Level 1

Yes, Yes, .......we did it!

Ok, .......it finally clicked (in my head) opened up "uploads" again in You Tube and tried again, waited..............sure enough after 5mins or so the "process indicator" showed 1% upload.  O my, that's a good sign!

....................24+hrs. later it was done.  Is that normal?  Watched it on  You Tube after it was completed, looks good.

Quick question, if I want to change my project tittle or location will I need to wait another 24hrs. to make changes?

Again thank you for your time and patience, took some of the fear out.

Gil

"cycle 1972"

• 17. Re: You Tube will not accept my download .avi ?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gil

Congratulations. Great news. Great job.

Once you have completed with exporting the Timeline content to file which you saved to the computer hard drive, there is no longer a connection between the file saved on the hard drive and the project file which generated that export.

So, you can export again from that original project file once the first export is completed.

But, you may want to do one job at a time, depending on your computer resources and other factors.

Also, I am not sure of the details of the YouTube extended time account that you are using related to how many extended time videos in a given period of time.

Please consider, and then let me know if you need supplemental information on the above.

Again, thanks for the great work and staying with the Premiere Elements project to gain your success.

Best wishes

ATR