19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2017 3:38 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)

shiznit1994 Level 1

Anyone else having issues using Keylight? I add it to the footage and if I change more then one setting it crashes After Effects.. Using Windows 10 (64 bit), with After Effects CC 2015 (up to date)..

Gigabyte x79-up4 Motherboard

CPU i7-4820K

32 gb RAM

GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (MSI) 4 gb RAM (All drivers are up to date)

Samsung SSD raid for OS/apps

1TB Storage Drive

Have tried with and without Anti-Virus software,

Have tried running as Admin.

Have tried clearing cache.

Not sure what to try next..

• 1. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
          LB619992 Level 1

I'm having the same issue.  So frustrating!  I have a deadline to  meet today!

• 2. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
            shiznit1994 Level 1

I tried Primatte, which is a really sexy program, but I don't have the cash to drop on to avoid the water marks.. Also I have a lot of motion in several frames, which I am sure can be worked out with Primatte, just not sure I want to spend a bunch of time "Experimenting" with a very complex addon.. It is worth the money and time to learn. But I have never had issues with Keylight in the past, so not sure what is going on.

Nice to see I am not the only one lol. Good luck to you though! Lucky for me I have some time yet.

• 3. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

What kind of footage is this?  Highly compressed?  Transcode a test clip to something good like a QT In ProRes 422, PNG, Photo JPEG or Animation.  See if the test clip keys without crashing.

• 4. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                shiznit1994 Level 1

4K footage right from the camera.. tried on lesser clips as well just to test, same issues...

• 5. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                  shiznit1994 Level 1

Event Log of crash

Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 13.6.1.6, time stamp: 0x566a97aa

Faulting module name: KeylightPro.AEX, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54ae9bfb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000001a2fee

Faulting process id: 0x13b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1462da547d2a4

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\AfterFX.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2015\Support Files\Plug-ins\Effects\Keylight\KeylightPro.AEX

Report Id: 5bb16372-7838-4559-a7ca-0c5f66457a4d

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Still having issues with this..

• 6. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                    shiznit1994 Level 1

I have tried several types of footage now, Keylight keeps crashing After Effects.. Does not matter size, type, or color being keyed..

• 7. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

Jeez, with the information at hand, I recommend that you download (if necessary) and use AE CC 2014.  AE CC 2015 was released in an incomplete state and can be a real dog to use.

• 8. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                        shiznit1994 Level 1

I would would rather they fix the problem as I am paying for updated software.. and if there are 2 of us having issues then there are many more.

Other then this issue I have had no other problems out of CC2015

• 9. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I agree that it's annoying & frustrating.  However, other users have reported far worse issues than yours, if that's any consolation.

When the developer rents the software to you -- and it's an industry standard -- you pay the rent or get left behind in terms of features.  This software also deactivates if you stop paying the rent.  So the developer has you by the short hairs, and can release new software in any condition it pleases.  A cynic would say that this level of service is to be expected in such a situation.

• 10. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                            alanthall

You are not alone, I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Unfortunately, spending too many hours researching solutions for a problem that should not exist. At present this has made After Effects unusable for my purpose. I am going to head to 'The Foundry' who create Keylight Pro to to see if I can get a resolution to this issue. Will report back.

• 11. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                              shiznit1994 Level 1

I downloaded CC2014 and used used lower preview settings and was able to get the work done, then right before rendering precompiled everything and then previewed it and made minor edits as needed. Also making garbage masks, then precompiled, then adding keylight, then stacking everything seem to help as well. A little more work, but it did get the job done.

• 12. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                shiznit1994 Level 1

So, Not only is this still crashing with keylight it is also crashing using Clone stamp as well... I guess it is back to CC2014 again.... i thought, new project "Hay I will give cc15 a try again..." PLEASE FIX ALL THE CRASHING ISSUES!!!

• 13. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                  davidw47313387 Level 1

Here for same issue. Messing with clip black/white or any settings really for too long causes it to crash. ram preview? Crash. Verry powerful computer here too

I7 67k

DDR4 64 GB

Samsung evo SSD (x2)

windows 10 pro (a real copy)

GTX 960 FTW 4gb

• 14. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                    константинк40192188

I have absolutely the same problem

Is there somebody using NOT win10 has this situation?
                                    I tried new After Effects CC 2017 on 2 computers and it was still crashing.
                                    Probably there is a problem with Windows and it`s  compatibility with AF and keylight

It is really frustrating that neither Adobe nor Keylight authors have fixed this issue yet

• 15. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It may be that they can't reproduce the issue on their systems. This seems to be caused by something not terribly common - probably a software combo or hardware combo that just makes things go sideways.

I haven't had these Keylight crashes on my Windows or Mac systems. And there aren't a ton of reports like this. So, while there are a number of you with the issue, it's not a widespread problem. This likely means that it's hard for the AE team to track down.

Please file a bug report with as much information as you can to help them reproduce the issue so they can fix it.

• 16. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                        floflo47360

I have the same problem ... Nobody can solve it?

When I try to read a frame on my comp with a Keylight effect on one of layers, AE crash ... It's KeylightPro.exe

• 17. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi floflo,

Sorry for this experience. I can't repro this issue on my machines. Can you tell us more? Is this the current version? What kind of footage? OS and computer info?

Thanks,
                                          Kevin

• 18. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                            floflo47360 Level 1

I'm with the 14.1 but the problem was already here on the 14, i've tried to update to see if it's different but no.

So, it's really special because I try to reproduce and the problem isn't here.

So, I tried to reproduce the tutorial number 67 on Video Copilot, the man crashed by a car.

So I have 2 layers : the background with the car, the man with the green screen.
                                            I use keylight on the man to bypass green, with a mask to reduce size of the layer

When i play the comp, After Effects crash.

So I tried to recreate it, and import the .mov file in a new project with keylight and a mask and the problem isn't here ...

How can I investigate more? :/

• 19. Re: Keylight Crashing (CC 2015)
                                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi floflo,

I would try some footage coming from a different codec. Can you? If not, transcode existing footage to ProRes or DNxHD/HR

Thanks,
                                              Kevin