3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2016 10:30 AM by Jao vdL

High CPU usage in library module

nickb89405558

I'm working with a new pc build...i7 6700k (hyperthreading enabled), 16gb ram. As soon as I begin to scroll in the library module, my CPU usage shoots way up (observed in task manager) until my computer completely freezes. I can prevent it from freezing by entering the develop module. So far, reinstalling Lightroom, changing the preview size and disabling the graphics card have not improved my situation. Any other ideas?

• 1. Re: High CPU usage in library module
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi nickb89405558

Greetings.

• Which version of Lightroom are you using?
            • Help- About Lightroom.
          • How many images do you have in this catalog?
          • Create a new catalog and import some images in it, check if the same issue reproduces.
          • Are there any external devices connected to this computer?

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: High CPU usage in library module
            dj_paige Level 9

Since this is a new installation, Lightroom is probably generating previews and that's the cause of the issue. If I were you, I'd open Lightroom, use the command Library->Previews->Build 1:1 Previews (or Build Standard Size Previews, your choice), click on Build All, and then let it run overnight to generate all your previews, and then see if the problem goes away.

• 3. Re: High CPU usage in library module
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

disabling the GPU acceleration in Lightroom won't help in the Library module as the acceleration only applies to Develop. My guess is though that the lockup is a graphics card issue instead of a preview building issue. Just building previews shouldn't make your machine lock up. To test that create an empty catalog and import some files into it and see if it does this there too. Otherwise, make sure your graphics card drivers are completely updated and make sure your Lightroom is at 2015.3/6.3 as 2015.2/6.2 had lockup issues similar to this. You probably have to download the drivers from the card manufacturer's website.