9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 4:15 PM by Bo LeBeau

HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?

AudreyFriedmanRN

Hello,

I am new to Adobe Acrobat DC.  I may have just not touched on where to find this answer, but here is the question...

I am organizing a group of records that came in a PDF file, and I need to print and organize into a binder.

The problem is... is that the facility that printed the documents from the computer didn't designate that each new document should start on a new page.

So... now, I have the beginning of a new document actually starting on the lower 1/3 of the PREVIOUS document - spreading the document over 2 pages and making it impossible to print and organize them correctly.

So my question is...

Can I alter the page break between documents, or edit it someway to make each page of the document appropriately on a separate page!

Plus... if I can do this... my client will think I am amazing!!!

Remember please - beginner Adobe artist here - need Sesame Street version of instructions or a video.

Any guidance is well appreciated!

Thank you!

Audrey Friedman RN, CLNC

Friedman Medical Legal Consulting, LLC

www.FriedmanMedicalLegal.com

Audrey@FriedmanMedicalLegal.com

• 1. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I'm afraid that is miles from what is possible. A PDF is less like a Word document: one long thing with movable breaks. More like a series of photos: If you want to move a it between photos you might manage but things won't rearrange themselves for you.

• 2. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The best approach is to export the file to another format, like Word, edit the newly created file and then generate a new PDF from that file.

As mentioned, this is not the kind of editing that can (or should) be done directly in a PDF file.

• 3. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
              Bo LeBeau Level 4

You mentioned: The problem is... is that the facility that printed the documents from the computer didn't designate that each new document should start on a new page.

No, they only printed the PDF that you supplied to them.

As mentioned above, a PDF is static and cannot reflow text to another page like a word processor using a page break to force the new section of text to the following page.

Who supplied you with the PDF? Is it the same client that you want to think that you are amazing?

The page beaks needs to be added to the original file before a PDF is made.

This is the responsibility of whoever created the PDF, not yourself and certainly not the facility that printed the PDF.

• 4. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
                AudreyFriedmanRN Level 1

Dear Bo,

Thank you for your reply.  However, I may not have explained how we get files in our office.  We don't make the PDFs.  The healthcare facility that is requested to provide the files is the one that picks the files according to our requests, then prints them to paper, PDF electronic file or disk and then delivers them to our office.  We have no control over how they are printed out, only which documents we request.  The problem is, that sometimes, such medical records offices are quite sloppy when choosing, sorting and printing files for review.  In those cases, Adobe Pro is quite valuable in being able to rearrange pages and in this case, Export to Word, fix the errors in printing and re-PDF them for presentation.  In general, it does benefit the source department and institution to do it right, because, in some offices, poor medical records would be refused and requested again at a higher level - which causes grief on a lot of levels.

Therefore, while I appreciate your effort in assisting, but I do not appreciate your tartness.  If you had asked better questions directed toward the problem, I would have been happy to explain.

Thank you for taking the time to attempt an assist.

Sincerely,

Audrey Friedman RN, CLNC

• 5. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
                  AudreyFriedmanRN Level 1

Dear Try67,

Thank you for your reply.  I believe this is exactly what I needed. I believe I will try to export the document to Word and add a few lines to advance the page break.  That, in theory, should start each new document on a new page.  And that, will allow me to be able to create the presentation binder.

Your assist is much appreciated!

Audrey Friedman RN, CLNC

• 6. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
                    AudreyFriedmanRN Level 1

Dear Test Screen Name,

Thank you for your reply.  A reply from another member suggested exporting the document to a Word document.  I believe I can then adjust the page breaks to separate the documents.

Thank you for your assist.  All brainstorming is much appreciated!

Audrey Friedman RN, CLNC

• 7. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
                      AudreyFriedmanRN Level 1

Dear Try67,

Thank you for your assist.  I believe this is exactly what I was looking for.  By exporting the document to Word, I can adjust the page breaks.  And that will allow me to create the presentation binder as well.

Thank you for your brainstorm.  It is much appreciated!

Audrey Friedman RN, CLNC

• 8. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
                        Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Audrey,

To concisely reiterate responses provided in this thread ...

PDF is a “final form file format” that really does not lend itself to any substantial editing, especially in the areas of repagination.

There is no simple way of putting a “page break” into an existing PDF page and having everything following the page break start at the top of the new next page.

We understand that you are not creating the PDF file yourself and that you have no realistic control in how well the provider separates out, let's say patient or customer records.

A solution by which you export the PDF to Microsoft Word, add the appropriate page breaks, and then recreate the PDF is not only exceptionally time consuming, but could result in unexpected changes in content and formatting which are time consuming to check for and repair.

All that having been said, there is a “hack” that you can try in Acrobat that will at least separate out the content of different patients / customers / records.

(1) On a page that contains the contents of two (let's call them) records, use the Organize Pages tool to insert a blank page after the problematic page.

(2)  Use the Edit PDF tool, to select and cut (Ctrl-X) the “bottom part” of the page that you want moved to the next page.

(3)  Go to the next page (the blank page) and past (Ctrl-V) the content onto that page.

(4)  If you don't like the top of the page blank, you can select what you just pasted (Ctrl-A) and move it up higher on that page simply using the up-arrow cursor key.

(5) Repeat for any and all situations where you need to do such content separation. (Rinse and repeat? )

(6) Be sure to occasionally save the modified PDF file (“save as PDF,” not simply “save”) such that if you mess up along the way, you can recover without losing all your work. (Sometimes it is good to be paranoid!)

I know that is isn't perfect, but at least your data will be separated and you won't have to go through the potentially lossy mess of export and recreation of the PDF file.

Let us know if this hack helps!

- Dov

PS:  I actually tried this and it does indeed work on my systems and my PDF files.

• 9. Re: HOW DO I FIX A DOCUMENT THAT OVERLAPS 2 PAGES?
                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

Yes, it was clear that you did not create the PDF.

However, when you mentioned "the facility that printed the document . . . " makes it sound like you sent the PDF out to be printed.

It seemed like you were saying that a printing facility was responsible for your problems.

If you had said "the facility that created the document . . ." then your description would have been much more accurate.

Apparently these medical offices only Print to PDF rather than Save As or Export to PDF which is the recommended workflow.

The information in your second post would have been more helpful if it had been included in your initial posting.

The problem still resides with the people that created the PDF and allowed records from different forms (or even different patients?) to be intermixed on the same page.

The request for these records should clearly state that you do NOT want these records to have part of one form at the top of the page and a totally different form immediately below it on the same page.

Explain that you want each new document to start on a new page.

Yes, some places can be sloppy, but that doesn't mean that you should put up with these issues.

You shouldn't have to export to Word and spend your time adjusting things just to get the PDF that you want.

As Dov mentioned, in using Word you may have unexpected changes in content. Changes in something like medical records is serious business.

The people that caused the problem with their sloppy habits should be required to fix the problems.

Is there a office manager or someone in a position of authority that can make sure that the records suppliers are producing the reports correctly?