13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 11:33 AM by Glensidepark

Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised

Glensidepark

Hi I have a Sony HVR-V1P tape based professional camcorder for some time and really struggle to have Premiere Elements recognise the camcorder to import video content.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 64bit and with Premiere Elements 12. I have an additional graphics card (Nvidia Quardo K620) installed. The programme would not recoginse the camcorder no matter what settings I used!!

The camcorder is connected using the iLINK. Premiere Elements is set to PAL HDV HDV 1080i which it the setting on the camcorder.

In despair I downloaded the FREE Movie Maker and that programme immediately recognised the camera, ran the tape back to the start of the recording, and copied the whole recording without any hassle.

WHY CAN A PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMME LIKE PREMIERE ELEMENTS NOT DO THE SAME??

Any ideas before I give up on Premiere Elements as useless?

Regards,

Bill

• 1. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, technically Premiere Elements isn't a professional program. It's a consumer program, like MovieMaker.

But, that said, I'm not sure why your Premiere Elements 12 isn't recognizing your HDV camcorder -- assuming you're using Add Media/HDV Camcorder to interface.

Which version of Windows are you using? If Windows 7, have you switched to the Legacy IEEE-1394 driver?

That said, video captured by the free program HDV Split is fully compatible with Premiere Elements also, so there's that option.

Although if capturing video is the deal-breaker for you, I'm not sure what else to recommend at this point. At least without knowing more about your computer. Including if you've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Premiere Elements since you've installed MovieMaker.

• 2. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows 10 is the culprit.

I second Steve's suggestion to use HDVSplit

• 3. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
              Glensidepark Level 1

Thanks Steve,

As I said in my post I am using Windows 10 64bit. When I said 'professional' (I appreciate the distinction) but I meant I paid for it and expect it to work.

I had already tried for several hours with PE 12 and then PE 14 to get the import to work BEFORE I downloaded Movie Maker. The failure to recognise the camcorder is nothing to do with Movie Maker.

Are you (and Ann Bens) saying that PE14 will NOT work with my camcorder? In which case it is pointless having it installed. It is a real pain to upload the material in one programme (HDV Split) and then edit in another. Why don't Adobe just fix PE?

Regards,

Bill

• 4. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Glensidepark (Bill)

First...Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14/14.1 do not have a capture firewire feature for DV and HDV capture. Workarounds like HDVSplit et al. have been suggested.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is the last version to have this feature.

Other....

I would like to consider possibilities and impossibilities for you using your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 for capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Windows.  Could you clarify the following so that I do not take anything for granted...

1. From what I have read, your camera records HDV and DV data.  Is there a one on one relationship between Premiere Elements 12/12.1 not recognizing your camera for the HDV- and- Premiere Elements 12/12.1 being installed on a Windows 10 64 bit computer? Did you have these same camera - Premiere Elements 12/12.1 recognition problems when you were using Window 7, 8.0, 8.1 64 bit?

2. Depending on the answer to "1"...what is the scenario for your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 data capture firewire...

a. Open Premiere Elements to its Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to PAL HDV HDV 1080i25 (See File Menu/New/Project).

b. Then use Add Media/HDV Camcorder

c. Turn on camcorder using the appropriate HDV camera settings.

or switching the order of b and c?

3. Have you been through the Adobe document on Premiere Elements Capture

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

If you have been using this feature before, you have probably been there and done that. Nonetheless, I post the link just in case.

Please consider.

Thank you.

Best wishes for the new year.

ATR

• 5. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                  Are you (and Ann Bens) saying that PE14 will NOT work with my camcorder?

No E14 wont work with you camera. No firewire connnection anymore. Tape camera's are becoming obsolete. Its now all solid state.

Adobe has alway been a bit flaky when it comes to hdv camera's. Either being Elements or Premiere Pro.

You need to set the dv/hdv settings in the camera to hdv and not to auto before connecting to pc. If you change settings while connected to pc it wont work. And make sure you do not connect to firewire when camera is on. You are likely to blow out the firewire connection on your camera. Expensive to get it fixed.

It is a real pain to upload the material in one programme (HDV Split) and then edit in another. Why don't Adobe just fix PE?

Regards,

Bill

Not really all you have to do is import the footage from your hard drive into Elements and off you go.

We used to do that all the time before Premiere Pro was able to capture hdv as clips instead of just the whole tape.

• 6. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                    Glensidepark Level 1

Hi ATR/Ann

Thanks for your responses. It is indeed the same camcorder throughout.

Historically I was using Win 7 Pro 64bit and Premiere Elements 12. It was a bit difficult to start with but I eventually got settings which worked and I was able to process my videos. I'm primarily a DSLR user, the Sony was bought for occasional high quality recordings, so there has been a break is usage for a while.

In the meantime I upgraded to Windows 10 64bit, still with Premiere Elements 12 installed. When I tried to import video in this setup last night I couldn't get Premiere Elements 12 to recognise the camcorder. Assuming, wrongly, as it turns out that Adobe would be moving forward I downloaded Premiere Elements 14 hoping that would resolve the issue. It didn't, I couldn't get Premiere Elements 14 to recognise the camcorder either. Wondering if it was a Windows 10/computer issue I downloaded Movie Maker which immediately recognised the camcorder by model and imported the content. The issue therefore was not my computer but Premiere Elements. (Incidentally I downloaded HDVSplit which also immediately recognised the camera by model and imported the content)

The camcorder was connected using the iLINK/ Firewire. The camcorder does not support USB for HDV. As regards the scenario, ATR, I was doing what you have outlined in 2 above. Going to Expert, changing the settings to match the input and then going to the add Media option. At that point the camcorder was not recognised! T

You are both saying, as I understand it, that Premiere Elements is not going to work for me as regards importing video content. I will have to live with Movie Maker or HDVSplit or discard a very expensive camcorder!

I use the Adobe CS6 suite and have Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC on a regular basis but I have to say that things like this put me off Adobe. I just don't know what other option I have!

Regards and thanks for your help

Bill

• 7. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                      Glensidepark Level 1

Incidentally I have just noticed that when I go to CHANGE SETTINGS/PAL/HDV/HDV 1080i 25 the corresponding description says "For editing with IEEE1394 (Firewire/iLINK) HDV equipment!

• 8. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised

Why edit with Elements when you have CS6.

Does cs6 recognize your camera?

• 9. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised

And no HDV camera's do not have usb just firewire and hdmi/component.

• 10. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                            Glensidepark Level 1

Hi Ann,

Yes I have CS 6 and Photoshop CC. Do you mean Photoshop CC? I see that I can edit video files in Photoshop but can I import from a camcorder? That doesn't appear obvious to me. Doesn't help that I am running a 4k monitor and many of the Adobe tool bars are very small.

I think HDVSpit is going to be the easiest option for now.

Bill

• 11. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised

No I mean Premiere CS6.

• 12. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Glensidepark (Bill)

Just saw your post 10.

I agree that, for now, HDVSplit is going to be an excellent choice for the HDV capture firewire to obtain the split clips (MPEG2.m2t) that you import into the Premiere Elements project 12/12.1 or 14/14.1 with Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

Still determine at the onset that the automatic project preset is giving you the correct project preset. If not, then do the manual project preset before you import the HDVSplit MPEG2.m2t into the project. For project preset set, see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio.

I would point to a distinction between 12/12.1 and 14/14.1 automatic project setting....

With 12/12.1, if problem, 12/12.1 gives you a default project preset (1080i).

With 14/14.1, if problem, 14/14.1 give you a closest fit project preset which may not be all that close.

Thank you for your follow ups. Best wishes for your progress in this new year and always.

ATR

Add On...did you get any input from Sony on this?

• 13. Re: Sony HVR-V1P camcorder not recognised
                                  Glensidepark Level 1

Thanks ATR and Ann. I appreciate your input. I realise that I have a very good quality professional grade camcorder with a lot of extras in terms of external mics, cabling etc which is now old fashioned. I have too much money tied up in it to just dump. Playing around with HDVSplit seems to be a reasonable option and I am just going to go down that road.

And no, I have heard nothing from Sony.

Regards, Bill