6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 11:48 AM by A.T. Romano

Why is my project damaged? And why won't it open?

odinc1224260

So i have this video project that I've been working on Premiere elements. When i try to open the project it says "the project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened." This project I have been working on and it is really important for me. It's due January 8, 2016 and I really need to know what happened with it. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Why is my project damaged? And why won't it open?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

odinc

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system? Other details are lacking.

Consider....

How are you opening your saved closed project?

It is important to know if you are trying to open your project in the Premiere Elements version in which it was created? For example, did you create the project in Premiere Elements 14/14.1, save close it, and are trying to open it in a Premiere Elements version earlier than 14. That will not work. No backward compatibility in that regard.

After you saved closed the project did you move, delete, or rename any files and folders that were imported into the project?

The following Adobe document goes into troubleshooting damaged projects.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

Does any of that apply to your situation?

Lots of possibilities. The answers will be in the details. So, please consider, and supply details for us to help you.

Thank you.

Best wishes for the new year.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is my project damaged? And why won't it open?
            odinc1224260 Level 1

I have adobe premiere elements 14 and I have recently just bought this software. On December 30, 2015 at 12:51 was when I saved and closed my project. I don't know what happened, but I did not rename or move any files or folders that were saved in my project. I open my saved projects by opening the Adobe premiere elements software first and then selecting open project.

• 4. Re: Why is my project damaged? And why won't it open?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

odinc

Thanks for the reply.

First, let us cut to finding out if this issue is to specific to this project or if there is a more widespread issue with the program and projects.

Please leave the present project saved closed. Start a new project, do some work on it, save close it. Can you reopen that project without

problems?

Back to the problem project. Start with Premiere Elements closed.

Go directly to the location of the saved closed project file (name of file.prel).

(Note: the project file by default is saved to Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/14.0).

Right click the project.prel file (project file), select Open With, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 14.0.

Does the project open to the Premiere Elements 14.0 workspace?

Please consider, let us know the results, and then we will decide where the details point us for troubleshooting.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why is my project damaged? And why won't it open?
                odinc1224260 Level 1

I can create new projects and still do everything on the software but it's just that one project won't open. I tried the method you told me so i can open it but it still says that "the project is damaged, you cannot open it."

• 6. Re: Why is my project damaged? And why won't it open?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

odinc

Thanks for the update and the good news part about all other projects are working well.

But, to the one that will not open after a save close of it....

Did you go through all the troubleshooting suggestions mentioned in the previously mentioned Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects?

Especially...did you try to get into the project via a possible AutoSave in the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder?

Do you recall the last action that you took in the project file immediately before you saved closed it? How large was the project at that time?

ATR