3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2016 2:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements

eamonno17965130

Hi

I tried to open existing premier elements project ,media file content is missing says it is offline, how do I fix

• 1. Re: Premier Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

eamonno

What version of Premiere Elements, and what computer operating system?

Are you getting "Where is the file ______?" message(s) when you open you previously saved closed project?

If so, that is an indication that, after the project save close, you probably moved, deleted, or renamed files and folders that you imported into that project. When you import files into the project, all you get are copies of the originals which are remain saved to your computer hard drive. The copies of the originals need to trace back to the specifically named originals where they were when they were imported in the project. Another possibility is that you store your source files on an external hard drive and the external hard drive is malfunctioning (maybe changing drive letters).

Your remedy is knowing where files missing in the project are and reconnecting them to the project with each of those messages which will seek a single specifically named missing file that need reconnect to the project.

Please consider, give details, and then we can go through the troubleshooting strategy to fixed this problem.

Any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements
            eamonno17965130 Level 1

Hi ATR

thanks for reply

I have Premier Elements13  - I Mac OS X 10.9.5

I don't get message "Where is true file"

In the Add Media drop down I have the audio files ok and I can see the names of the JPeg's

I doubled clicked one image and was able to re connect the file from the source folder on desktop using the same unique file number.

I have a lot of files to reconnect can this be automated ?

EOS

• 3. Re: Premier Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

eamonno

Thanks for the reply.

You appear to be going in the correct direction with regard to redoing all those media-project connects for those that got disconnected.

The remedy of answering the "Where is the file ____?" message(s) is one at a time. Please try to do several more. It is possible that, after you do a few more, the rest will reconnect automatically. No guarantee, but known to happen.

I do not know if the following is any quicker, but

Open the project and, when you get the first "Where is the file ______?" message, click on Skip All. That will bypass all the rest of the messages and let you into the project workspace. But, you will still be facing those missing files (from a different angle). But, you can work on right clicking the Project Assets thumbnail for a missing file, selecting Replace Footage, browse to the file where you know it is, and click on Open. Major perk of Replace Footage is that it replaces the footage and maintains the edits that you put into what it is replacing.

Please consider the following approaches and let us know the outcome. But, when all is said and done, we do need to figure out what triggered this situation in order to avoid this media-project disconnect happening again.

Best wishes

ATR