3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 12:50 PM by MergeThis

Snippets in Merged Projects

Pat@ffic
      Has anybody worked with Snippets in merged web-help projects? In particular I am interested in whether the snippets must be in their respective child projects, or can they all be in the parent project and shared by the child projects.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Snippets in Merged Projects
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Pat

Snippets are project specific. You could have snippets in only a single child project if you like.

RoboHelp 8 offers a new Resources pod where you may store assets such as Snippets. Unfortunately, I'm not certain if this pod will give you what I suspect you are looking for. My spidey sense is tingling and telling me that you want an ability to declare a snippet in one single location and have several projects update as a result.

So how far did I miss the mark?

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Snippets in Merged Projects
            Pat@ffic Level 1
            Thank you for reply.

You are correct, I would like to have a project that held all of my snippets and allowed me to reference them from other related projects. I'll have to take a look at RH8 to see if it might work there.
            • 3. Re: Snippets in Merged Projects
              MergeThis Level 4
              Not that I've seen (RH 8).

I'm checking out the same scenario (7 writers, 42 projects), and it looks like we'll be doing this:

1. Create a separate "phantom" project that contains all snippets (maintained by a single user).

2, Create a single topic that has all snippets inserted, for easy viewing. (I'd probably add keywords as a "caption" for each inserted snippet, for easy searching, since some might have unsearchable images.)

3. Sync all snippets in the project to all local machines (daily?), effectively overwriting old versions.

You could also sync your user-defined variables by maintaining them in that same phantom project. The difference with udv's is that they are all contained in a project's rhvariable.apj file. This file could also be synced to all projects to propagate updates.

Good luck,
              Leon