12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 5:42 PM by rpandita

1 catalog on 2 machines?

timh14791673

Happy New Year! I just upgraded to LR cc. I was hoping to be able to move my catalog from my Windows 7 machine to an iMac. I  have updated to LR cc on both. Since each had their own catalog I am hoping to be able to keep both catalogs separate but stored on the iMac.

Secondly: If I could have the same catalog(s) on both machines and get the catalog(s) to sync that would be stellar !

Thank you

• 1. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi timh14791673

Happy new year to you too.

You can share the same catalog between the two machines.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
            timh14791673 Level 1

Rohit,

Thank you. I have my photos on a NAS. Both my windows 7 machine and the mac are on that network. My lrcat folder is on my windows 7 machine's hard drive. Can I put the lrcat file on a thumb drive and plug it into which ever machine I am on? I have already seen some posts which say that putting the catalog on a network is going to be difficult and slow is this still the case?

Thanks

• 3. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?

Indeed, you can keep the images on a NAS, that is fine, however it is not recommended to keep the catalog on a network drive, it can cause issues with your catalog like loss of edits or catalog corruption rather use an external drive to store your catalog.

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Putting the Lightroom catalog on a network drive isn't just slow, the Lightroom program will not allow it. It simply will not work. The catalog should work from a thumb drive. Just be aware that things will speed up if you also include the previews folder. Those two have to be together. So you will probably need a fairly large thumb drive.

• 5. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                  timh14791673 Level 1

So I tried using the thumb drive and all of the catalog info was there but the pictures were not. I figured I had to find the path for the Mac but couldn't figure out how. If I include the previews will the pictures be populated on the new machine?

• 6. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The pictures only reside in one location, and in your situation they are on the NAS drive. The previews, which must reside in the same folder with your catalog, are previews of the images that Lightroom uses to display the adjustments you have made your files. The catalog needs to be able to point to the images on the NAS drive from either computer. I don't know anything about NAS drives. But if you could assign a name to that drive that could be recognized by both computers it would simplify things.

The way you point Lightroom to where the images are located is to right-click on a folder in the library and either choose "Find missing folder" or "Update folder location", and then There will be a window provided where you can choose the location of your images. It would be a good idea if you had all of your images in subfolders but under one main folder. If all of your images are organized within one main folder you only have to right-click on that main folder and update the folder location. Doing so will update all of the subfolders as well.

• 7. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Using the catalog while on the thumb drive will not work due to space limits.

However, you can use the thumb drive to transfer the catalog from computer to computer.

Copy the catalog from PC to thumb drive.

Copy the catalog from the thumb drive to the Mac.

You can also do the same thing with the NAS instead of the thumb drive.

You can skip the transfer of the previews as they can be created as needed later on each computer.

Lightroom tracks your images by path and file name. Since Windows and Mac refer to them using different path strings, each time you swap to the different computer, you will need to update the Folders panel as outlined in Jim's post.

• 8. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                        timh14791673 Level 1

Since the computer I am moving to is a Mac right click isn't an option. I have looked extensively for how to do it without right click and haven't found a method. I tried selecting" find missing  photos" to no avail.

• 9. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                          dj_paige Level 9

Why do you want to do this without right-clicking? That's how you do it! There really isn't another way.

• 10. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                            timh14791673 Level 1

My Mac mouse does not have a right click

• 11. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?
                              dj_paige Level 9

On a mac there is a way to do this, it is (I think) cmd-click, but probably a Mac person can confirm that or tell us what the correct keyboard key is to use.

• 12. Re: 1 catalog on 2 machines?

Ctrl click will work like right click on mac.

~Rohit