16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2016 11:22 AM by SausalitoDog

Why is LR making files larger??

SausalitoDog Level 2

I know this will seem like a stupid question when I get the right answer :-)

I just noticed that when I click Edit in Photoshop (fuji raw 16mp file) from LR (latest CC), the file opens in PS as a 94mb file (4896x3264@300dpi) but if I open the same file directly in ACR and PS the file is only 45.7 mb at the exact same dimensions and dpi.

What is going on. I've been fooling around with this trying to figure it out for the last hour and cannot see what is happening.

Thanks,

Tom

• 1. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Tom

Greetings.

That is how it is supposed to work.

See when you open a file from Lightroom into Photoshop, it opens either as tiff or psd(what ever preferences you have set) and according to the file size i can guess it is tiff, 16 bits , 300 dpi.

Change 16 bits to 8 bits and the file size will be reduced to half.

You can check this under Lightroom - Preferences - External editing.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
            SausalitoDog Level 2

tthanks for the quick reply.

I still don't see why they are larger when ported over from LR than when I open them directly in PS.  The dimensions and dpi are exactly the same when I check Image Size in PS.

i Must be missing something. Isn't a 10x19 inch 300dpi file a fixed size?

thanks

tom

• 3. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

You are saving both as the same type, right? Both TIF or both PSD? Using the same amount of compression on each?

• 4. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I think Rohit has the answer-

Lightroom is sending a 16bit file,

Opening the TIFF in Photoshop through ACR may be creating an 8bit file.

You can change the workflow options in ACR of Photoshop by double clicking on the details below the image window-

ScreenShot172.jpg

4896 x 3264 x 3 (rgb) (8bit)  = 47.9mB

Change to options now shows-

ScreenShot173.jpg

4896 x 3264 x 3 (rgb) x 2 (16bit) = 95.9mB

• 5. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                  elie_di Level 3

Ppi has, BTW, nothing to do with it; it affects digital volume (MB) not at all. It can possibly affect print size, but usually not that either.

• 6. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

It is because LR has set the PSD file to have Maximum Compatibility which creates a second flattened image file inside the PSD file. When you open the same file using only Bridge/PS and ACR and then save it as a PSD you don't have that option checked in the PS preferences. So the file is half or less in file size than the same image sent to PS from LR.

Even if there are no extra layers in your PS document LR still sets the option to create a file with Maximum Compatibility which make the file size bigger.

Lightroom can't natively read un-flattened PSD files (Not sure why. You would think Adobe would include that feature but they haven't).

• 7. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if there are no extra layers in your PS document LR still sets the option to create a file with Maximum Compatibility which make the file size bigger.

I don't believe this is true. If I open a file in PS from Lightroom's "Edit in Photoshop" with the psd format selected in Lightroom, it will only save with maximum compatibility if I add layers to the file, otherwise the file stays exactly the size you get when directly opening and saving from PS itself (using ppRGB 16bits in camera raw). It actually specifically asks you in the case of extra layers when saving the file in Photoshop (if you didn't dismiss the warning at some point). It won't ask you about it if you don't add any layers, adjustment or otherwise.

Lightroom can't natively read un-flattened PSD files (Not sure why. You would think Adobe would include that feature but they haven't).

Lightroom reads unflattened psd files just fine as long as they have a rendered preview (i.e. maximized compatibility). I am pretty sure it can't read the unflattened, un-maximized compatibility ones because LR would have to have an entire Photoshop engine built in that can do all the layer compositing that Photoshop does. I don't think there are many apps, apart from Photoshop itself, that can read unflattened, un-maximized compatibility psd or tiff files because of this reason.

• 8. Re: Why is LR making files larger??

A TIFF file already has an unflatten image built into it. No need to have that option checked if you are using TIFF.

The our 2 systems work completely differently. For me anytime I send a Fuji RAF file to PS it always make a TIFF or PSD of 91+MBs. With Max Comp set to any of the options in PS. Same thing happens, same file size, when opening a file from Bridge and and saving it as a PSD. Seems like Adobe has disregarded that option selection it always saves for Max compatibility. This is with NO added layers. Opened from LR and immediately saved as PSD.

I'm going to try from PS CS5.

• 9. Re: Why is LR making files larger??

>This is with NO added layers. Opened from LR and immediately saved as PSD.

Strange. It definitely doesn't do that for me. LR CC 2015.3 and PS CC 2015. It only does the maximize (and asks when saving) and consequent file size doubling when I add layers. What do you have set in Photoshop Preferences->File Handling in the Maximize PSD and PSB File compatibility field? I have the what I think is default "Ask" there. It sounds like yours is set to "Always"

• 10. Re: Why is LR making files larger??

I tried it with all selection in that area. Ask, Always and Never. With both Bridge and LR sending file to PS. Get the same size file no matter what and I'm never asked

Maybe my install of PS is stuck on Always. Although I have never set it to the Always option from about PS CS3. It has always been set to either Ask or Never (took me years to get use to LR. So I usually used Bridge/ACR and PS and just had LR for fun).

Now I use LR for everything and rarely open Bridge.

But I am a firm believer in the "If it Ain't Broke stop trying to fix it" mind set.

• 11. Re: Why is LR making files larger??

Strange. Perhaps at one point you dismissed the dialog with the checkbox set to never ask again.

• 12. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                                SausalitoDog Level 2

Both of my files are 16 bit

ps image.jpglr image.jpg

These images are the same size and resolution but different file sizes. It's almost as if there was a second layer here but there isn't.

Tom

• 13. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                                  SausalitoDog Level 2

Elie-

It is the digital volume you refer to that I'm trying to figure out. Why would it be different???

Tom

• 14. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                                    SausalitoDog Level 2

My bad.

The correct answer is from rpandita in the beginning.

As I rechecked the settings in ACR and LR, I see that I did have the 8 bit checked in ACR and 16 bit in LR...I feel like a dummy. I was "sure" I had them the same when I first looked.

Now I have to decide if there is any noticeable benefit in using 16 bit files (probably is).

Thanks for running through this fire drill with me. Sorry to take so long to understand...

Tom

• 15. Re: Why is LR making files larger??

A file of 48963264 pixels should have a size of precisely 91.4 MB when it is in 16 bits (489632643(rgb channels)2(16-bits instead of 8)/1024/1024=91.4.) so one if those is only an 8-bit file. No extra layers here.

• 16. Re: Why is LR making files larger??
                                        SausalitoDog Level 2

Jao-

You are right. I should have been able to figure this out on my own but the Image Size box led me to believe there was some other explanation.

Thanks,

Tom