8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2016 9:30 AM by vaburov

Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment

vaburov

Hi!
      I use Lightroom CC on Mac and recently I've found strange bug.

1. I've found this defect on one of my pictures in Lightroom:

1.png

2. My first thought was about dust, so I tried to use spot tool.

But the defect pixels were not affected by the spot tool!

3.png

Moreover, with the spot tool I found out that there are no actually defect on the image itself, but something wrong in representation!
      The defect still in the image after export, so it's not so harmless.

2.png

Then I've found out that original RAW have no this defect.

3. Then I analyzed the history of changes:
      4.png

5.png

So, this defect appeared after Exposure Adjustment and I've found the same type of defects on my other pictures!

Dear Adobe, please, fix it!

• 1. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment
          sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Vaburov,

This seems to be a strange behavior so could you please create a new catalog and try the same adjustment and check if it stills produce the same effects or not.

Regards

Sarika

• 2. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The posted History is showing an Adjustment brush edit. This is most likely causing the issue you are seeing. In History what happens if you click on an edit prior to ALL of the 'Add Brush Stroke' entries?

• 3. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment
              vaburov Level 1

trshaner, seems you are right, though it's still very strange.

The defect appears only after Exposure Adjustment, not the "Add Brush Stroke" (as also seen on the images I posted above).
              But when I removed Brush Stroke on top of all adjustments, the defect also disappeared. It seems that the source of the defect is the Brush Stroke, but it displayed only after Exposure Adjustment or might be caused by specific combination of two.

Anyway, this looks like a bug in Lightroom algorithms rather than inaccurate editing (there were no something specific in my editing which might cause this). I believe that developers have to analyze the case and I can provide any files needed to reproduce. Otherwise there might be a lot of such defects unnoticed and they can appear on prints and so on, and that's annoying... I found this at least on two of my images during one day (and for both I used Brush Stroke, by the way), so it doesn't look like rarely accidental.

• 4. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment
                vaburov Level 1

sarsaxen, It looks like the defect appears in very specific combination of adjustments and I don't know how I can copy-paste the same settings to another catalog. My experiments with virtual copy in the same catalog shows, that applying the similar changes manually does not reproduce the issue, while copy-pasting reproduces. It looks like rather accidental bug, though is not veryrare (since I fount on two images during one day).

• 5. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment

vaburov wrote:

trshaner, seems you are right, though it's still very strange.

The defect appears only after Exposure Adjustment, not the "Add Brush Stroke" (as also seen on the images I posted above).
                  But when I removed Brush Stroke on top of all adjustments, the defect also disappeared. It seems that the source of the defect is the Brush Stroke, but it displayed only after Exposure Adjustment or might be caused by specific combination of two.

Yes, it is caused by the additive affect of the Local Adjustment brush control and Global Tone controls (Exposure, etc.) It appears the brush stroke was applied using 'Auto Mask.' This can cause speckling or spotting rather than a defined solid area. What settings are you applying with Adjustment brush and to what specific area of the image? Perhaps I can provide some suggestions.

• 6. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment
                    vaburov Level 1

You are right again , Auto Mask was on, though there were no need for that.
                    I applied brush to the whole face, the size of the brush was almost as the size of the face, and right after brush applied everything was ok. Among the brush adjustments were exposure and a little bit of contrast.

• 7. Re: Lightroom: pixel representation BUG after exposure adjusment

Glad that resolved the issue.  I sometimes use Auto Mask to quickly paint in an area for correction and then go over the interior with Auto Mask unchecked to fill-in any unselected areas. For your other pictures with 'Auto Mask' Adjustment brush try painting inside the selected area as follows.

1) Select the Adjustment Brush pin and check 'Show selected Mask Overlay' above the Filmstrip.

2) Uncheck Auto Mask, set the Brush Size slightly smaller, Feather 0-25, Flow 100, and Density 100.

3) Paint inside the mask overlay, which will apply the brush settings to all unselected spots & speckles.

4) Done!