4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 5:29 AM by Laubender

Indesign data merge will not display all images

wilmah24501270

I added my indesign file, my csv file and all my pictures into one folder, but after merging only 1/3 of the pictures display?

I am working in Indesign CC, the images are all jpg files.

What can I do to trouble shoot? I have been at this for hours, I've done this many times before and sometimes I'll get one or two pics that won't merge, but nothing like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Indesign data merge will not display all images
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe the file names in the csv file do not match exactly the real file names in the folder?

The encoding of the CSV file could be the culprit here.

Can you give an example for an image name, that will not process?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Indesign data merge will not display all images

And it would help, if you give us the exact InDesign and OS version…

Also the language version.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Indesign data merge will not display all images
              wilmah24501270 Level 1

Sorry for the delayed response, I had to add all pics by hand ugh...

So, all the pics are in the same file as both the csv file and the indesign file. The picture do have names that match.

The excel file was created on a PC, uploaded to google drive. I have downloaded the file and renamed it, nothing. Now no pictures will merge. Same message: "The data source references one or more missing images. The missing images cannot be previewed or merged. At the time you create a merged document you can choose to generate a list of all missing images" I have created a test file, copied the image column, added .jpg to all file names within the csv file, as I always do, but moved none of the other data. Added '@Photos as the header instead of what I had originally.When I data merge with this file, all is well and pics display.

Even when I use Concatenate within the original excel file it will not work until I clear all formats.

I have even tried to clear all formats from the data and tried merging then, but get nothing. Is there a way to attach the csv file for review?

I use Indesign CC, 10.11.2 and Excel 2011

• 4. Re: Indesign data merge will not display all images

In the meantime I could have a look at the csv file you provided.
                I can see no problem. It just loads ok in the Datamerge Panel.

Since I have not the original images, I saved the list of missing images, but found no unusal naming in that list.
                So I would suspect, that Datamerge has a problem with your original JPG files. For whatever reason.

Pure speculation follows:
                Maybe some of them are too large and would exceed the pasteboard when placed at 100% ?
                Unlikely yes, because the rectangle you prepared for merging the images would not be that big, but perhaps Datamerge is doing an intermittent step to calculate the image's dimensions and is stopped by the size before scaling. I can remember cases where this was the cause of a problem to automate placing images.

Uwe