11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 11:23 AM by rosebudd

How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?

andyhadel

I'm wondering about the learning/migration curve from Flash to Animate. Does anyone know?

• 1. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i wouldn't expect it to be much different than the migration between any two major versions of flash pro.

• 2. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
            andyhadel Level 1

Kglad,

Thanks so much for replying. A few more questions since you are clearly knowledgeable.

1/ I'm curious about AS3. Will Animate use AS3 alongside Javascript?

2/ Will Animate re-write AS3 at point of exporting to HTML5?

3/ Have you been trying to beta-test it?

4/ Have you heard about HTML5 export glitches?

• 3. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1/ I'm curious about AS3. Will Animate use AS3 alongside Javascript?

currently flash pro supports as3 and a form of js (createJS).  i expect animate will do the same.

2/ Will Animate re-write AS3 at point of exporting to HTML5?

i wish (and that's something i've communicated to adobe).  that's the killer advance for flash/animate but i haven't heard adobe indicate that's something they're working on.

3/ Have you been trying to beta-test it?

yes

4/ Have you heard about HTML5 export glitches?

no

• 4. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
                Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The overall answer is that Animate is Flash Pro, it's just a name change, everything about the way that Animate works is the same as Flash Pro, because it's the same application.

On the second question in particular, as it stands you create your HTML5 projects by programming in the timeline using Javascript. Some people do use external editors for the coding, and only use Flash Pro for managing assets. If you already like to work that way, say by using FDT or Flash Builder development, you can continue to work in a similar way.

Having it convert a normal AS3 project into an HTML5 one will be tricky, because in AS3 you may have used a lot of object orient programming approaches, and Javascript doesn't work that way. Also, HTML5 Canvas and HTML5 Web GL 2D have very different syntax, meaning there would have to be at least two kinds of cross compilers.

When doing Canvas, using CreateJS, you are most of the time using AS3 syntax, and the createjs libraries handle the translation at run time.

• 5. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
                  rosebudd Level 3

The only thing I am seeing, sometimes, is because you preview your work in a browser, is changes don't always appear to be reflected in your browser, so I suspect there are caching issues.

The biggest thing is text. All Canvas text is dynamic, which is why a suggested workflow is author in AS3, break apart your text, then convert to a Canvas doc from the Command menu. Another suggestion is to keep a copy of your editable text as a guide layer, in case of revisions.

You will also be doing Classic tweens in Canvas.

IMHO Canvas Classic tweens can use some help. I am using Tweenjs scripting on the timeline, because you need it anyways, and you will save on k weight by using it instead of GSAP.

In the code snippets, this is an example.

var target = this.myMC;
                  var tween = createjs.Tween.get(target, {
                    loop: true
                  })
                    .to({
                    x: target.x,
                    y: canvas.height - 55,
                    rotation: -360
                    }, 1500, createjs.Ease.bounceOut)
                    .wait(1000)
                    .to({
                    x: canvas.width - 55,
                    rotation: 360
                    }, 2500, createjs.Ease.bounceOut)
                    .wait(1000)
                    .to({
                    scaleX: 2,
                    scaleY: 2,
                    x: canvas.width - 110,
                    y: canvas.height - 110
                    }, 2500, createjs.Ease.bounceOut);

• 6. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
                    ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

Questions like this are why I maintain that renaming Flash to Animate is a terrible, terrible idea. It's just going to sow confusion until everyone realizes that it's still the same old Flash... which is exactly what Adobe was hoping to get away from with the name change. It's a lose-lose proposition.

• 7. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
                      andyhadel Level 1

Thanks for your feedback. I agree. And I don't really care what they call it so long as the issue of lack of support for the flash player is addressed.

• 8. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?

Flash Player is a different set of confusion. People associate less support of Flash Player with the doom of Flash Pro, but the comical thing is that Flash Player support is increasing (not counting what Apple might do). Flash Player is built into Chrome, IE 11, and Microsoft Edge, and Mozilla have committed to working with Adobe on developing Flash Player as the only plugin that Firefox will support.

So, Flash Player is doing quite well.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
                          andyhadel Level 1

I'm not re-litigating the flash vs no flash debate. Just trying to get the lay of the land.

My sense is that Flash isn't supported on iPads, iPhones and Android phones using default settings. Users can download browsers and other workarounds that will take the plugins, but the general public won't do this, which means those huge populations will not have access to swfs. Do I have this wrong?

I'm going through all of this because I'm trying to figure out if Animate/Flash Pro has a future exporting HTML5. Is this the wrong question to ask as it relates to common users?

• 10. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?

It could be that it was just your topic that was wrong. We've been answering the question you asked, but if you mean to ask: "how will HTML5 Canvas FLAs resemble ActionScript 3.0 FLAs?", then we could just tackle that part of the question! Let us know if that's what you want.

Meanwhile, you're right about the mobile support, but it's true for all plugins (Unity, Java, Shockwave, Flash, LiveCode, all of them). Each company is working around the issue in similar ways. Unity for example has a Web GL export option, which does let you do simpler scenes, not as good as you would get its the plugin version though.

Adobe changing over to having an open file format for FLA should go a long way towards supporting platforms that don't allow plugins.

And the short answer to how the Canvas and AS3 FLAs compare, Canvas is very much like doing timeline programming using ActionScript 2. You can still take advantage of movielcips, graphics, and buttons, and that saves a lot of time over using other tools to make HTML5 content.

• 11. Re: How closely will Adobe Animate resemble Flash Pro CC?
                              rosebudd Level 3

Long time Flash user. I began using Edge Animate to create HTML5 in 2014. Coming from Flash I found the UI horrible.

Adobe has abandoned Edge, IMHO because it was unbelievably buggy. You can't expect average Joes to edit JS errors that prevent them from opening a file that was fine when they closed it.

If you are comfortable with Flash, you are happy about the news. If you were an Edge user who never really got Flash, you are upset.

You don't have to wait to play around with it, Flash CC has Canvas built in using createjs, it was an extension in CS6

IMHO Flash Canvas is one way you can get there (HTML5). If you like having a timeline, Flash AKA Adobe Animate is it.

In addition Grant Skinner made the createjs libraries to be familiar to actionscripters.

I highly recommend watching these MAX presentations, they cover a lot.

Flash Professional CC at Adobe MAX 2015, October 3-7, Los Angeles | Adobe Flash Professional Team Blog

Grant Skinner's presentations are also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYvYgXpzV4

CreateJS: Creating Rich, Interactive Experiences for HTML5 - YouTube